Green algae. .. Eww

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still run an old school orbit too but I did add two ATI's recently and noticed a little better growth. I originally ordered a blue and a white but the white was over kill so I now run the orbit, a blue ATI and a purple ATI. It was cheaper to just add a few ATI's and I knew my orbit was still useful.

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a powerhead for a 10 gallon? These are 170gph, with one, I had dead spots. With two, they blew sand on my rock, no matter where I pointed them, this is the reason for the added crushed coral on top of the sand.

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will definitely get more snails, the astrea seem to do the best job. Will the sand sifting star do ok with the crushed coral? Ive heard summer do not like it. I have a brittle star, and he doesn't seem to mind it.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure and couldn't find an example in here. Maybe post the question? Also, for your type set up specifically I would research the negative effects of Crushed coral vs sand bed. That (C.C.) might be a problem down the road but I'm no expert by any means. Detritus has a place to hide/collect in your C.C. bed and could be a phosphate issue. Gravel vacuum would be a good thing to check into perhaps?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on that FTS I can't even tell you have a problem to be honest, I agree that the power heads are too big. I agree with the earlier statement about messing with stuff too much, just be patient and let your tank mature :)

Your tank looks fine. A bit of algae is expected until everything settles. 4 months is not a long time and you seem to be doing a good job. Test the phosphates and see.
+1
Best looking Ugly phase of 2017. Your doing great. the crushed coral is fine, the light is fine, etc etc. Not enough food in there for sand sifting starfish.

Just be cautious to not over feed. As the bio filter matures it will out compete the ugly stuff, coralline algae will also help too.

In a small simpless tank the only reccomend I would have is to look into a small Hang on back refugium. can be done VERY cheaply.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Im am completely OCD especially when it comes to my tank! Do tell more about the HOB fuge! !!
A picture is worth a thousand words. Here 1,00000000000000 words.
https://www.google.com/search?q=han...ved=0ahUKEwi2ue3bsZPSAhUN32MKHUsADS0Q_AUICCgD
A $14 breeder box with a tiny 12v pump or air pump,pump. A large Aquaclear with a light, or a spendy premade one with chato in it. very very easy.
https://www.google.com/search?q=han...ICCgD#tbm=isch&q=finnex+hang+on+back+refugium

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ordered the Hydor Koralia Nano. 270gph, I think. Should have it Sat. We shall see what all this Koralia craze is about! Lol. So super excited to get those other powerheads out of my tank! Yay! The thing is... I paid $23 each for the big ones I have now.. The Koralia I got was only $23.. SMH

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I bought 5 more Astrea snails last night and a Calcium test. They had no phosphate tests, so I ordered a phosphate test and alkalinity test today as well... My Calcium is 360ppm... Im guessing my phosphates are going to be high...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back