Grouper and trigger seem to have ich

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My triggerfish looks to have ich on him and my grouper Keeps rubbing himself on the sand do they have ich

Attachments

• IMG_0355.MOV
    39.9 MB

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ich on the trigger - I’m not sure I see anything on the grouper in the photos, but you would want to treat him too.
Unless you can remove the starfish from any tank that has fish for 76 days, there aren’t any in tank treatment options that will cure ich and keep the star alive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only medications I have are this the second one technically isn’t but it helps lower ammonia and nitrites

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be feeding your fish always. If the star is being pulled, hyposalinity is your best option for the display tank. Rock and sand will absorb copper, making dosing a nightmare.
Assuming you are using api, 0.25 ammonia is possibly a misread, but the 80 nitrates is an indicator that you need to up your water change rates. In a reef you don’t want those going above 20.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ll add more salt mix and I’m doing a waterchange anyways in two days I transferred the Star today and am gettin a copper medication called copper safe by a company called fritz is that a good copper medication will it work

Upvote 0

toady00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take this as just my experience but I try not to medicate if I don't have to. If the fish are stressed from the high nitrates, they are more susceptible to disease and parasites. I would do a series of as large a water change as you can to get the nitrates down. If you can do a 90% water change I would. If you only do a 50%, you'd need to do 3 50% to get down to 10ppm. But I'd get the parameters in order to reduce stress. While you're at it, it wont hurt to do the hyposalinity. The biggest thing in my opinion is keeping the fish eating. If they stop eating, then I would try to add some garlic oil to the food. It will encourage them to eat it and help keep them feed. Once the stress is gone, they should be able to fight off the ich better. I'm not a fan of copper if I can help it. I managed to save a single leopard wrasse from a 120G tank full of fish that got red velvet once, so it definitely has it's uses and I'd keep it on hand. Again, this is one random guy on the internet's experience. I'm definitely not an expert.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try doing the 50 percent water change I am not at home right now because I’m driving to my lfs to pick up the copper medication

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have copper on hand, but in this case hypo really is the best option. Copper shouldn’t be dosed to the dt, and these fish are too big to go in a small qt. Over the next few days, lower the salinity in the dt to 1.009, and get the star out of there.

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper safe dosed to 2.0+ ppm in a hospital tank works great. Dropping specific gravity to 1.009 can work well in a display. Those are 2 good options. Pick 1.

Upvote 0

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back