Growth led vs aquarium led

EL_Perron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Edit: pressed send to early

Apologies. I don’t mean to be attacking anyone here. I’m not disparaging WWC or anything. If people will pay it why the heck not charge it. I would love a Ferrari too.

As for my math I was cooking food so I kinda just guesstimated. But for my 4 bulb agriculture fixtures it costs 175 plus 100 dollars in bulbs to start so 275, I change my bulbs every 18 months so 100 about every 1.5 years. So about 950 dollars for a decade (rounded up assuming everything by is new) For similar wattage and coverage I would want 2 x xr30s, which cost 950 each, so that’s exactly double over 10 years for my given usage on a 4 foot tank. This doesn’t including mounting, driver/ballast replacement, led replacement (as leds at 100 percent power should be changed every five years or so), or energy consumption. So there is a lot more variables. Another factor to consider is I have not seen a single person keep an led fixture for 10+ Years Due to upgrades in the market , vs halide and t5 I’ve seen run for 30+.

again this is a convo that I think derails the thread. But I have run radions g5s, AI 64 and 16HD, black box, homemade leds, halides, and t5’s. And that’s just on personal tanks. Not tanks I have maintained or run for the LFS’s I’ve worked at. And to me Halide looks the best by far, but just has certain restrictions that t5’s don’t have.

at the end of the day this hobby is our personal preference’s. And I just prefer to not pay a premium price for fixture I like less than what is cheaper. I do agree that this hobby has become my way or the high way, and I hate that. There are infinite ways to have a great looking tank. Wether that be with the latest equipment, or used stuff that’s older than I am. It all comes down to what each individual wants.

at the end of the day I am fighting for a hobby that is less price restrictive as I know for a fact it can be. I have seen a lot of the back end pricing and price butchering that happens since over been working in the industry for 4 years. Setting up a tank shouldn’t require +10k dollars to set up, and I want people to have options that work and are cheap. But to find those it seems you have to look outside the hobby. There’s an old joke I’ve heard that you can slap reef on something and charge 3 times what it should be worth. And the more I’m in this hobby the more I know it’s true. I want to do my part to fix that.
I don't think your attacking anyone. I just don't think his coral business is affording a high Ferrari life style...but it could be and if that is the case...I need to buy some frag tanks and quit my current job ;-)

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your attacking anyone. I just don't think his coral business is affording a high Ferrari life style...but it could be and if that is the case...I need to buy some frag tanks and quit my current job ;-)
My old boss at the first LFS I worked at would let me help him pick out the rolls Royce he would rent when he flew to frag swaps. It’s still up for debate if he was selling something other than fish in the side :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looked at one of these at a local hydro shop:

Looked pretty promising in person. . . might give it a shot on my DT (when I get paid). . .

Will definitely have to keep it dry though haha

I'll make a thread if I pull the trigger and let yall know

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looked pretty promising in person. . . might give it a shot on my DT (when I get paid). . .

Quantum Board
LM301H LED's
Meanwell driver

= High quality components

Its a good buy. The only downside it that its not dimmable.

This one has a dimmer and the same specs:

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what kind of corals are you keeping?

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think buying the components for an arduino enabled controller would be roughly $100 before tax and shipping. But that’s Wi-Fi enabled, blue tooth enabled, and controlling as many channels as the radion XR30w in post #35.

Still gotta count up led costs, they give the part, but not the exact model number so just going to go with the most expensive node Edit: with highest output

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and again the majority of light is in the wrong spectrum... Its basic biology, look at the forms of chlorophyll the majority of corals contain, heck look at the colour they have under natural light. most corals under natural light are red, or brown. What does this say about the coral? it says that it absorbs the other colours but reflects the red and green parts of the spectrum since it doesnt absorb energy from it. It is all a waste of energy

Like i get you want to try and reinvent the wheel but this is common knowledge...

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think buying the components for an arduino enabled controller would be roughly $100 before tax and shipping. But that’s Wi-Fi enabled, blue tooth enabled, and controlling as many channels as the radion XR30w in post #35.

Still gotta count up led costs, they give the part, but not the exact model number so just going to go with the most expensive node Edit: with highest output

I think its crazy. EcoTech use old led light technology with fan as a cooling system and only the blue spectrum of light.

The next generation led was something like the P1000 that cost 100 usd.

The new generation led are Quantum Board.

950 usd for two generation old technology with only a limited part of the spectrum and very few diodes.

Hocus pocus. You pay 10 times per ppf for outdated led light.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and again the majority of light is in the wrong spectrum... Its basic biology, look at the forms of chlorophyll the majority of corals contain, heck look at the colour they have under natural light. most corals under natural light are red, or brown. What does this say about the coral? it says that it absorbs the other colours but reflects the red and green parts of the spectrum since it doesnt absorb energy from it. It is all a waste of energy

Like i get you want to try and reinvent the wheel but this is common knowledge...
Your cost per watt will be the same for each LED diode, my question is do you get any super significant peak buying just blues as opposed to whites with strong peaks in the same blues. I’ll have to look into that some more

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All light is important

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cost per watt will be the same for each LED diode, my question is do you get any super significant peak buying just blues as opposed to whites with strong peaks in the same blues. I’ll have to look into that some more
thats something to look into indeed, like for example what the range is of the spectrum of a certain white led i agree. look at actinic t5 bulbs for example, they look quite white to us while most of their spectrum is in the blues. could be interesting. I do think most of it has to do with the blue fluorescence that people desire in their corals with the near uv leds and royal blue leds

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok again, you are comparing terrestrial plants to aquatic plants where their needs and spectrum are totally different.

You can't compare pink grow lights to blue reef lights they are 2 totally different animals.

If you can't understand that, then this entire thread is a waste of bandwidth.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok again, you are comparing terrestrial plants to aquatic plants where their needs and spectrum are totally different.

You can't compare pink grow lights to blue reef lights they are 2 totally different animals.

i think were screaming into the abyss here, OP has been told this 3 times now and he keeps citing terrestrial or freshwater plant sources...

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. Its a waste of time when you dont understand it.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Its a waste of time when you dont understand it.
not only is this thread a waste of time since you dont want to believe the truth, this may also confuse beginner hobbyists.

i honestly got the point that reef lights are strangely more expensive and maybe there is some truth to that and it may be worth exploring this, but the whole "using grow lights over a reef tank is better" argument is just plain wrong

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back