Growth led vs aquarium led

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they?

By far the most life is found in shallow water where the full light spectrum is availible.
i explained it to you now 4x earlier in this thread, i will not repeat myself. I have a feeling that you just want to say stupid stuff just to get attention so this is the last thing ill say about it to you and encourage others to do the same. It is not worth anyones time to argue with you since you won't change your mind anyway

I hope you get over your boredom and find something fun to do or something, in any case I hope you have a nice day

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i explained it to you now 4x earlier in this thread, i will not repeat myself. I have a feeling that you just want to say stupid stuff just to get attention so this is the last thing ill say about it to you and encourage others to do the same. It is not worth anyones time to argue with you since you won't change your mind anyway

I hope you get over your boredom and find something fun to do or something, in any case I hope you have a nice day
You do not understand the basics of light when you claim there is no need for the full spectrum light in the sea.

Believe the blue is magic all you want. Not my monkey not my circus.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is from Wikipedia:

Use in aquariums[edit]​

Full spectrum lighting is used both for tropical and marine fish as well as many other aquatic pets. The use of full spectrum lighting assists aquarium plants to grow and aids in the health of the fish and the tank as a whole. While plants have adapted to the reception of real sunlight, full spectrum light bulbs often mimic the emphasis of wavelengths of sunlight enough that plants are stimulated to grow. Full spectrum lighting also enhances the natural coloration of fish, plants and other aquatic elements in an aquarium, which are often discolored by artificial lights. Full spectrum lighting is typically used more in fresh-water aquariums since marine or coral-reef aquariums often require intensely blue light.

go change wiki….. Hurry up.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from Wikipedia:

Use in aquariums[edit]​

Full spectrum lighting is used both for tropical and marine fish as well as many other aquatic pets. The use of full spectrum lighting assists aquarium plants to grow and aids in the health of the fish and the tank as a whole. While plants have adapted to the reception of real sunlight, full spectrum light bulbs often mimic the emphasis of wavelengths of sunlight enough that plants are stimulated to grow. Full spectrum lighting also enhances the natural coloration of fish, plants and other aquatic elements in an aquarium, which are often discolored by artificial lights. Full spectrum lighting is typically used more in fresh-water aquariums since marine or coral-reef aquariums often require intensely blue light.

Ok now were quoting wiki. Seriously? Like thats a place for real information.

But anyways. Just read the last sentence. Debunks your entire premise.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, dont be fooled by it all is all ill tell you, look at people that have succesful tank and ask them what they do. set yourself up for succes and you will have a way better time
I was on this thread cause I can’t afford $500 lights. I’m interested to experiment and see what changes I see based off of different lighting setups and honestly also interested in seeing if I can build a DIY controller for DIY LEDs. I think arguments on both sides make sense and I also am not a huge fan of super blue lights.

I’m okay dealing with algae if that is the end result of my experiments. I do know some deep water corals will not gain as much benefit from full spectrum (like Acans from what I’ve read) but those corals also don’t seem to do as well with a lot of par. I do not have any real experience with this in practical application, but am learning as I go.

I don’t need Wi-Fi function and too much blue hurts my eyes so for me this thread is a great place to look into and talk about alternatives and how it would affect corals. Also, cost is an issue, so that is another aspect of it. I can probably mimic that radion in post #35 for a third of the cost building it myself, it won’t be quite the same but will it work? I think it’s got a good chance

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on this thread cause I can’t afford $500 lights. I’m interested to experiment and see what changes I see based off of different lighting setups and honestly also interested in seeing if I can build a DIY controller for DIY LEDs. I think arguments on both sides make sense and I also am not a huge fan of super blue lights.

I’m okay dealing with algae if that is the end result of my experiments. I do know some deep water corals will not gain as much benefit from full spectrum (like Acans from what I’ve read) but those corals also don’t seem to do as well with a lot of par. I do not have any real experience with this in practical application, but am learning as I go.

I don’t need Wi-Fi function and too much blue hurts my eyes so for me this thread is a great place to look into and talk about alternatives and how it would affect corals. Also, cost is an issue, so that is another aspect of it. I can probably mimic that radion in post #35 for a third of the cost building it myself, it won’t be quite the same but will it work? I think it’s got a good chance
if youre interested in diy-ing all of you light this thread may be interesting:

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from Wikipedia:

Use in aquariums[edit]​

Was in your camp before. However the amount of the two types of Chlorophyll present in coral is different than in plants, as well as you are neglecting to consider sunscreen pigments corals develop to filter certain light. Which is why they are brown under white lighting.

you are correct that the sun is the sun. Some people still swear by the old iwasaki 6500k halide bulb. But you are wasting quite a bit of spectral energy, as well as the corals metabolic energy, by blasting them with pure white light.

I would love to see you try to have a successful tank with these grow lights, and I don’t doubt you could as that’s is what people growing corals started with in the 80s-90s. But there is a reason all aquarium lighting nowadays is bare minimum 10000 kelvin. Mostly above 14000.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seems like sometimes people get bent out of shape when it doesn’t affect their aquarium and maybe shouldn’t matter as much… guess I’m just used to agreeing to disagree and dealing with the consequences if I was wrong

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if youre interested in diy-ing all of you light this thread may be interesting:

I’ve got a list put together for a Wi-Fi enabled controller, just gotta learn how to program. I’m an electrician by trade so I’ve spent plenty of time tearing lights apart, rebuilding them, and Jerry rigging whatever the heck the engineers wanted. Definitely gonna read up on that thread though, thanks!

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does say blue is often required. But to discard most of the light spectrum when most marine life live in the shallow water… Thats just…

Look at #14 if you really want to learn more and youre not just here to argue.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does say blue is often required. But to discard most of the light spectrum when most marine life live in the shallow water… Thats just…

Look at #14 if you really want to learn more and youre not just here to argue.
Post 14 was taught in my first concepts of marine biology and oceanography class. I don’t think you are understanding the differences between available light and coral metabolic rate.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back