Hawaii Yellow tang

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren’t aware of much tbh.
This is what Pneumatic meant by randomly flaming people. You could easily explain what I'm not aware of, but if you don't think it's your responsibility to educate people, why even bother commenting? We're discussing and sharing information here, not shaming for the lack of knowledge.

For the record, I used to live on Oahu, I've seen the reefs all around the island. Not the entirety of Hawaii, but I have plenty of first-hand experience collecting and seeing these species in the wild. The fish there are fine. Numbers, health, etc. If these "Earthjustice" groups want to protect Hawaii's reefs so bad (which it doesn't seem like their end goal), they should stop tourists from trampling all the coral first. The fish might actually stick around.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still get it. 2500 to 3500 depending on size. Smaller is more money. That's what's funny. All fishes are trickling in slowly. Just the prices are through the roof.
Yeah I know but I simply refuse to pay the current price for one of those as I find it to be over the top.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know but I simply refuse to pay the current price for one of those as I find it to be over the top.

What is the right amount to sell them for then?

To me it seems the main frustration at the hobbyist level is that they can no longer get a $14 dollar Yellow Tang. To be more specific - they want cheaper fish. A few are frustrated that they can't get some species such as the Potters (rumored to be addressed by captive breeding / raising).

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what Pneumatic meant by randomly flaming people. You could easily explain what I'm not aware of, but if you don't think it's your responsibility to educate people, why even bother commenting? We're discussing and sharing information here, not shaming for the lack of knowledge.

For the record, I used to live on Oahu, I've seen the reefs all around the island. Not the entirety of Hawaii, but I have plenty of first-hand experience collecting and seeing these species in the wild. The fish there are fine. Numbers, health, etc. If these "Earthjustice" groups want to protect Hawaii's reefs so bad (which it doesn't seem like their end goal), they should stop tourists from trampling all the coral first. The fish might actually stick
This is what Pneumatic meant by randomly flaming people. You could easily explain what I'm not aware of, but if you don't think it's your responsibility to educate people, why even bother commenting? We're discussing and sharing information here, not shaming for the lack This is what Pneumatic meant by randomly flaming people. You could easily explain what I'm not aware of, but if you don't think it's your responsibility to educate people, why even bother commenting? We're discussing and sharing information here, not shaming for the lack of knowledge.
For the record, I used to live on Oahu, I've seen the reefs all around the island. Not the entirety of Hawaii, but I have plenty of first-hand experience collecting and seeing these species in the wild. The fish there are fine. Numbers, health, etc. If these "Earthjustice" groups want to protect Hawaii's reefs so bad (which it doesn't seem like their end goal), they should stop tourists from trampling all the coral first. The fish might actually stick around.
yeah Steve, apologies if this hurt your feelings

what I meant to say was you’re uninformed and have it precisely backwards. There was no negative survey prompting the shutdown. In fact, all the surveys conducted by the field biologist showed positive trends over a long period of time. EJ lied Steve. They just made stuff up and appealed to the Supreme Court after all the lower courts rejected their nonsense and fortunately for them, the SC had fanatical ideologues like themselves presiding over the case. This entire issue is a demonstration in environmental fanaticism ruling the day instead of science and logic

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the right amount to sell them for then?

To me it seems the main frustration at the hobbyist level is that they can no longer get a $14 dollar Yellow Tang. To be more specific - they want cheaper fish. A few are frustrated that they can't get some species such as the Potters (rumored to be addressed by captive breeding / raising).
Oh the price might be right due to supply and demand…and I can get them a bit cheaper due to being able to buy wholesale through friends. it’s just not worth that amount of money for me personally.
If they dropped down to about 10.000sek or 1k euros like they were before I’d buy one, no questions asked.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what I meant to say was you’re uninformed and have it precisely backwards. There was no negative survey prompting the shutdown. In fact, all the surveys conducted by the field biologist showed positive trends over a long period of time. EJ lied Steve. They just made stuff up and appealed to the Supreme Court after all the lower courts rejected their nonsense and fortunately for them, the SC had fanatical ideologues like themselves presiding over the case. This entire issue is a demonstration in environmental fanaticism ruling the day instead of science and logic
That's... what I said no? That the EIS showed no downward trends in fish populations (minus two species), and the courts saw all that data and went ahead with the total shutdown anyway, mainly due to prompting from EJ.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's... what I said no? That the EIS showed no downward trends in fish populations (minus two species), and the courts saw all that data and went ahead with the total shutdown anyway, mainly due to prompting from EJ.
According to your original post that I commented on? No, that’s not what you said or inferred

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They were 2000 before so 2500 is decent seeing inflation.
I use to buy cord of kiln dry hardwood for 350 2 years ago.
Today I pay 875 a cord.
Now no ban on firewood still price is thru roof.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, they had done a previous survey, with almost every species collected, and only found the Achilles tangs and Hawaiian groupers were on the decline (unsurprisingly, both are eaten by people), but shut it all down anyway. It was my understanding they were placating some zealous green-peace-esque groups. "Think of the children" kind of arguments, not much substantial. Maybe I misread things, but that's how it came off in some articles.
You meant this one. This seems out of alignment with the comment i responded too. Anyhow, apologies, I think we’re pretty well in agreement

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the price might be right due to supply and demand…and I can get them a bit cheaper due to being able to buy wholesale through friends. it’s just not worth that amount of money for me personally.
If they dropped down to about 10.000sek or 1k euros like they were before I’d buy one, no questions asked.

Np - I was just curious. Price is one of those odd things as we all have our own thresholds. There are some cases whereas captive breeding or raised actually lowered the price to make fish more affordable in the US. The Cuban Basslet. Used to be very rare and very expensive north of $3,000 US dollars. Now it is more readily available and $600.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that’s not correct. You can legally catch them for food throughout this shutdown.
No that’s not correct. You can legally catch them for food throughout this shutdown.
In fact, you can harvest these fish for any reason at all, without question or penalty, as long as they aren’t kept alive and placed in an aquarium. You can use them for bait, you can eat them, you can spear them for laughs, you can just throw them on the ground and let them die. That’s all good.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
In fact, you can harvest these fish for any reason at all, without question or penalty, as long as they aren’t kept alive and placed in an aquarium. You can use them for bait, you can eat them, you can spear them for laughs, you can just throw them on the ground and let them die. That’s all good.

Terrible but TRUE

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great news! Are you able to provide a source for this information? I don't see anything new in a quick google search.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Showtime Recording GIF by CBS

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish were affected? I know the yellow Tang was the biggest casualty of the Hawaii ban, but I remember reading there were other fish we couldn't get at an affordable price also
I remember this year it was extremely difficult for my LFS to source any flame hawkfish. I was able to get one from Dr. Reef (and he's one of my most favorite fish). I also had a Potter's angel on my wishlist, and Dr. Reef informed me they couldn't get them due to the ban. Here's a list of the most common fish we see in the trade that were/are affected:
yellow tang (obviously), yellow-eyed kole tang, Chevron tang, flame wrasse (another wishlist fish of mine...), bicolor anthias, blue stripe butterflyfish, Potter's angelfish, Potters wrasse, Fisher's angelfish, and Hawaiian cleaner wrasse.
Source: https://reefbuilders.com/2021/01/21/top-10-classic-hawaiian-aquarium-fish/

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what was baffling to me when this all started. You couldn't catch them and keep them alive but you could kill them still. No license needed no permit needed. This always confused me.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what was baffling to me when this all started. You couldn't catch them and keep them alive but you could kill them still. No license needed no permit needed. This always confused me.
because it's not really about protecting fish/environment.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still personally collect fish for your home tank. That's new,, I haven't checked on that in years but after seeing this post just went to DLNR and checked it out. You used to need a permit for this.

Last edited:

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive breeding is great. We have come a long way in this industry and hobby. If Hawaii has a sustainable and well regulated fishery, it should be a viable and available resource.
Agreed. I have a couple captive bred Yellow Tangs. They are indistinguishable from the wild caught version and are flawless. Unfortunately, it's simply a matter of time until "they" come for them too, since it's clear that this has nothing to do with sustainability, but rather, power. I'm just glad that they find it acceptable to eat my Yellow Tangs, as one is becoming quite large. :cool:

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually I hope they do indeed eliminate 99% of wildcaught fish for aquariums but I think it's too early to be able to captive breed every type of fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 121 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back