OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again everyone. While I’m here I guess I can do a quick update on my cycling process. I’m a little over a week into the Dr Tim’s process. I started with live sand and dry rock. Started the process per the instructions. After about a week and two doses of ammonia I got a 0 ammonia reading this morning. My nitrites though are through the roof and I’m still getting a 0 nitrate reading, so obviously the bacteria that breaks down the nitrites are not yet doing their job. Looking at Dr Tims troubleshooting page it looks like I may have prematurely dosed the second run of ammonia and the nitrites are so high it may have “stalled” that part of the process so I will be doing a 50% water change and retesting hoping to bring the nitrites below 5ppm. Will wait to dose ammonia again until the nitrites are below 2ppm and I begin to see them converted and I finally get a nitrate reading. Hoping in the mean time the bacteria that converts the ammonia doesn’t “starve”

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. Update again. After the water change I brought the nitrite level down to an acceptable range (less than 5ppm) per Dr Tim’s instructions. Aimed for about 2ppm. Ammonia was at 0. Still not getting a reading on nitrates after I tested and no drop in nitrite levels so I’m still having trouble with the bacteria turning nitrites to nitrates. Not sure what to do because I don’t want to add ammonia and send nitrites skyrocketing again but I also don’t want the “ammonia bacteria” to “starve”

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and nitrites finally at 0! Still no reading on the Nitrates. Not sure if my Red Sea kit is defective or there’s just not enough to read yet but dosed ammonia to 2ppm again and going to watch the magic happen and hopefully add some fish soon!

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays the day! Going to go snag a pair of clownfish. Dosed ammonia yesterday one last time and ammonia read 0 today and nitrites were below 0.5. Not sure what step I should focus on next in my goal towards eventually adding corals. Right now I’m following BRS’s 5-minute guides so I will introduce the fish and leave the lights off. I have live sand and dry rock so I know eventually I will need to introduce corraline but I don’t want to do too much too quick and BRS recommends doing “phase-2” of the cycle which is allowing the fish to acclimate for 4 months with the light off to prevent algae. As of now I’m thinking 4 months of just feeding and occasional water changes?

Projectile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just here to introduce myself! I’m obviously new here, my name is Jesse. I’m from Upstate NY and just recently began my venture into the saltwater world. I had large freshwater tanks before and was always intimidated to take the leap into the saltwater/marine world but years later here I am. I got a good deal at a local store for a starter tank and kit. Currently I have everything set up and cycling using Dr Tim’s method with success so far up to this point. I’ve watched every video BRS has on YouTube and I’ve found myself here so it’s obvious I’ve done my research. Excited to get started with a pair of Clownfish soon and hoping to work my way into reefing. It can definitely be a test of patience but I’m very good at waiting if it means a better result in the long run. Excited to meet you all and I’m sure I will have plenty of questions as I venture forward. Any beginner tips you guys want to share would be greatly appreciated! See you all around!
Welcome. I am new myself.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back