Help! Green Fungia plate coral dying

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 12+ year old green plate coral is in bad shape. The flesh has pulled back on one half and the skeleton is poking thru. The other half looks good.

I purchased an orange plate coral 2 weeks ago that cratered earlier this week. It had the same symptoms - half on the coral did not extend the polyps, the Skeleton was sticking out, mouth agape the other half looked fine. on day 2 the injured half started getting eaten up by hermit crabs so I placed it in a glass to protect it. The plate completely turned brown and died overnight.

I did a Logols dip on the green plate today. The hermit crabs are very attracted to the injured side again. Should I let them clean off the dying flesh or should I protect the coral in a bowl?

OP
OP
Hawkaholic

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5C4E5D91-D511-420B-A8EA-742BDFC97B7F.jpeg

OP
OP
Hawkaholic

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plate was fairly close to a welso on the injured side. Also there was a hermit crab feeding frenzy by it - toppled snail was being devoured.

I don’t want to over treat it, but if there’s something to be done I’m all in. Had this gal too long to let her croak.

If it’s not salvageable does anyone know how to encourage it to become a mother colony?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the orange plate got brown jelly disease, and it may be spreading to this plate as well. There is also the possibility that something is ticking off your plate coral, such as chemical warfare from neighboring species. If this is the case, I’d recommend doing a large water change and running some fresh carbon. You may also want to consider an iodine dip, though this could further stress the coral.

OP
OP
Hawkaholic

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Cannot do a very large water change quickly - 260gallon system 50 gallon mix bucket. It took me 14 days to do a big water change last month (200 gallons) . I run some carbon, but it gives my blue hippo tang hlle - can’t get very aggressive.

Every single other coral looks good. (Thankfully!) - torches, hammers, welsos, leathers, stypophoria. All currently healthy. Just this old green plate is sick. So it makes me reluctant to treat the whole tank with something like cipro. Chemiclean nukes my hammer corals - killed half of the heads the last two times I used it.
Ugg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Cannot do a very large water change quickly - 260gallon system 50 gallon mix bucket. It took me 14 days to do a big water change last month (200 gallons) . I run some carbon, but it gives my blue hippo tang hlle - can’t get very aggressive.

Every single other coral looks good. (Thankfully!) - torches, hammers, welsos, leathers, stypophoria. All currently healthy. Just this old green plate is sick. So it makes me reluctant to treat the whole tank with something like cipro. Chemiclean nukes my hammer corals - killed half of the heads the last two times I used it.
Ugg
Did you increase oxygenation during chemiclean?
Ciprofloxacin would help - otherwise best you can do is keep corals as happy as possible and remove anything showing signs of bjd.

OP
OP
Hawkaholic

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you increase oxygenation during chemiclean?
Ciprofloxacin would help - otherwise best you can do is keep corals as happy as possible and remove anything showing signs of bjd.
Aeration was not the issue. My fish were just fine. It just killed the hammer corals. Made them progressively more droopy until they melted away - and they were beautiful before treatment. The heads that didnt die have almost fully recovered over the last 2 months. Looks ok now.

I now only use chemiclean in dips

i do have cipro. Everything I’ve treated with it has died - given everything was already dying, but I have yet to see it help anything. What would be the best course of action with cipro?

OP
OP
Hawkaholic

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking good. Any tips on creating a mother colony? I’m pretty sure this one is toast as is. I would consider fragging it to see if I could save part, but it’s thick and all I have for fragging is a dremmel tool.

bumpyj38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking good. Any tips on creating a mother colony? I’m pretty sure this one is toast as is. I would consider fragging it to see if I could save part, but it’s thick and all I have for fragging is a dremmel tool.
I just threw mine in the back of the tank where it was still getting some light. Didn’t take long for it grow some babies. They’re starting to get bigger. Now I actually don’t know what to do next as this is the farthest I’ve been with a mother colony.

Attachments

• 9DF66350-4B96-4F0E-809C-BAFCC298277C.jpeg
    9DF66350-4B96-4F0E-809C-BAFCC298277C.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 90

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aeration was not the issue. My fish were just fine. It just killed the hammer corals. Made them progressively more droopy until they melted away - and they were beautiful before treatment. The heads that didnt die have almost fully recovered over the last 2 months. Looks ok now.

I now only use chemiclean in dips

i do have cipro. Everything I’ve treated with it has died - given everything was already dying, but I have yet to see it help anything. What would be the best course of action with cipro?
There has been a lot of success dipping LPS in this mixture for a duration of 6 hours.

Please take note it is mostly tested on torches and meat corals and each person has their own varied success.

QT
Power head to mix the solution Then turn off
Heater
air stone
4gal tank water
500mg cipro crushed up
10 scoops chemiclean
5 full droppers Iodine
Brightwells restore 10ml I use 1 capful
Brightwells amino 10ml I use 1 capful

I personally add Witch hazel 1 capful

Mix the dry meds first for about 10min then add the liquid ones. Let's mix for another minute and then add your coral.

Cover it with something so it is in darkness. This helps the cipro work.

Good luck and I'm so sorry to see this, 12 years is a long time :(

OP
OP
Hawkaholic

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a lot of success dipping LPS in this mixture for a duration of 6 hours.

Please take note it is mostly tested on torches and meat corals and each person has their own varied success.

QT
Power head to mix the solution Then turn off
Heater
air stone
4gal tank water
500mg cipro crushed up
10 scoops chemiclean
5 full droppers Iodine
Brightwells restore 10ml I use 1 capful
Brightwells amino 10ml I use 1 capful

I personally add Witch hazel 1 capful

Mix the dry meds first for about 10min then add the liquid ones. Let's mix for another minute and then add your coral.

Cover it with something so it is in darkness. This helps the cipro work.

Good luck and I'm so sorry to see this, 12 years is a long time :(
All at the same time? Wow. I think I have all of it but restore.

OP
OP
Hawkaholic

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just threw mine in the back of the tank where it was still getting some light. Didn’t take long for it grow some babies. They’re starting to get bigger. Now I actually don’t know what to do next as this is the farthest I’ve been with a mother colony.
That’s amazing! My understanding is just let them pop off on their own and a new one will pop up behind it.

Let me know when you get sick of it and I’ll be glad to take it off your hands!!! Lol

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All at the same time? Wow. I think I have all of it but restore.
Ya all at the same time....of course letting the dry meds dissolve before adding the liquid ones.

It's saved a ton of torches so far with documentation from quite a few people over on Instagram.

While versions of the bath have been around for a while, Kung fu corals is a vendor who is really pushing this new variation and seems to help lps a lot.

OP
OP
Hawkaholic

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya all at the same time....of course letting the dry meds dissolve before adding the liquid ones.

It's saved a ton of torches so far with documentation from quite a few people over on Instagram.

While versions of the bath have been around for a while, Kung fu corals is a vendor who is really pushing this new variation and seems to help lps a lot.
How do the corals respond? Close up for a period? Droopy or just act normal?

I have been told of a qt regimen that involves cipro at 500 mg/150 gallons once per week and a couple dips using Logols and dipX per week. This single shot seems aggressive, but more likely to get done.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do the corals respond? Close up for a period? Droopy or just act normal?

I have been told of a qt regimen that involves cipro at 500 mg/150 gallons once per week and a couple dips using Logols and dipX per week. This single shot seems aggressive, but more likely to get done.
It's definitely for the brown jelly moments.

Torches will close up but then they open a little like normal.

I've never seen a plate go through the bath before so definitely don't try it if you have second thoughts.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back