HELP ME BROS!!!

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just bought a super nice setup 125gal with 20 sump and i kept about 65-70 gallons of the water and paid a company to come top me off with premixed RO after i set everything back up. Setup came with a Bulk Reef Supply 5 stage RODI unit so i decided to give it a try. Put 10 gallons of the RO water with Rea Sea salt and BOOM my beautiful tank with 160lbs of corolina algea covered figi rock and a lot of my sand is turning POOP BROWN! I know at this point it had to be the RO, so just installed all new filters and TDS unit, just waiting on the new membrane to come in tomm before i use the unit. What can i do to fix the right now. I dont care how much it cost, my tank is looking worse by the day. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks bros

Michael

download.png

download (1).png

download (2).png

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i wave my hand by its like powder like. but the reallyyyy bad area on the sand has some strings..... posting closer pic

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's totally diatoms. Common occurrence in newly set up tanks. Blooms can be initiated by high silicates. Increase the flow by lowering or adding more powerheads.

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. I was hoping i wouldnt have new tank issues... Thats why i transported about 65-75 gallons of the water. Tank was very mature of 10 years.

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and idk how to increase flow at this point. i just installed 2 new 1350gph power heads. Installing a new Skims 39 gallon sump as we speak.

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i was going to clean the sand and take out about 10-15 gallons of water tomm. sound good?

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and will the lights out for 3 days bother the one fish my LFS sold me eat those things growing on the rocks? Its a super ugly fish lol

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i was going to clean the sand and take out about 10-15 gallons of water tomm. sound good?
There's nothing wrong with that, but if it's dinos, that won't help very much. Lights out is your best option at this point. You could try peroxide at this point since it doesn't look like you have any animals in the tank, but I've heard that peroxide doesn't really kill dinos.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and will the lights out for 3 days bother the one fish my LFS sold me eat those things growing on the rocks? Its a super ugly fish lol
No, they will all be fine. Just keep in mind you have to shut off ALL light, even light coming in through the glass from the room the tank is in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back