Help me cure my poor Coral :( he has Brooklynella disease

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there !
A few days ago my clownfish had some pinkish spots and i posted a quesrion here and did as suggested...huge clean-up and bought some Purigen and Pristine (Seachem) to help with the water quality.. ..and thanks to this advice she healed but tonight i noticed she has a peeling "skin" appearance and one her eye is cloudy :( poor thing !I quickly found out she has Brooklynella and what appears to be a cloudy eye but need advice on whag med to give her...i have no QT tank so it needs to be safe for corals and inverts.... any advice please ?
At my local reefstore theres Metro and such medications and i own Paraguard. I just dont know how to use it ... i really hope someone will help me cure her. Thanks in advance !
Again, sorry for the crappy pictures she is very hyperactive and i have a miserable Samsung S4.. . :(

20181120_225116.jpg

20181120_225058.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a RRR bath. But fish need transfered to a QT and DT needs to be fallow for 6 weeks.

All fish in the tank need to be moved to a QT and treated with Metroplex for 10 days.

Rally is supposed to be reef safe (I have never used it in a reef). It does stain the water. It may be capable of erradicating Brook.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe hit up one of your LFS? I know mine has store medications they use...maybe you could talk them into letting you buy a certain mL to hold you off until then? Or, better if they even sell it there.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ^_^ ... i cant have it shipped fast enough tho :( i just checked and there would be a loooong delay even with express shipping + huge bill. I need another med ...:(

Metroplex may also help if that's all you can get. Freshwater dip would help buy some time.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a freshwater dip, then repeat in 24hrs, it should provide some temporary relief. While waiting for RRR can try adding metro to the quarantine tank.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a RRR bath. But fish need transfered to a QT and DT needs to be fallow for 6 weeks.

All fish in the tank need to be moved to a QT and treated with Metroplex for 10 days.

Rally is supposed to be reef safe (I have never used it in a reef). It does stain the water. It may be capable of erradicating Brook.
Hey thanks !
i just ordered RRR and should receive it tomorrow...i dont have a QT tank ...what should i do then ? Is it truly reef safe ?

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ^_^ ... i cant have it shipped fast enough tho :( i just checked and there would be a loooong delay even with express shipping + huge bill. I need another med ...:(

Sorry just found out i could have it shipped express with amazon.ca and i am expecting it tomorrow ^_^!

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Do a freshwater dip, then repeat in 24hrs, it should provide some temporary relief. While waiting for RRR can try adding metro to the quarantine tank.
How long should the freshwater dip be ? And what is the minimal size pf container for a clownfish for the fw dip?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

How long should the freshwater dip be ? And what is the minimal size pf container for a clownfish for the fw dip?

I wouldn’t consider RRR reef safe based on its ingredients..

A small container should do for FW dip, just make sure to match temperature and in general longer than 3min but no longer than 5, have to observe for signs of stress.
For more info:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks !
i just ordered RRR and should receive it tomorrow...i dont have a QT tank ...what should i do then ? Is it truly reef safe ?
No. It claims to be "reef safe" but it will probably kill inverts and/or coral.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have Paraguard handy, you can use it for a 60-90min bath. Been a while since I used it, but believe their instructions indicate how to perform a bath.

I’m not sure if it will be as effective as RRR or formaldehyde, seachem is difficult in giving answers to its mechanism of action but in theory should be somewhat similar to formaldehyde...

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks !

It does say reef safe. That said, I wouldn't add it to my tank.

Setting up a simple qt would be ideal.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have Paraguard handy, you can use it for a 60-90min bath. Been a while since I used it, but believe their instructions indicate how to perform a bath.

I’m not sure if it will be as effective as RRR or formaldehyde, seachem is difficult in giving answers to its mechanism of action but in theory should be somewhat similar to formaldehyde...

These baths may be effective, so long as you move the fish to a sterile tank afterward. Not going back the the Brook infested tank it came from.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.5%
Back