Help my fish please

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also called hexamita, hole in the head disease is fairly common among freshwater fish but is typically associated with cichlids . This disease typically presents in the form of a depression in the head accompanied by weight loss and loss of appetite. A Cichlid has spots on their head which are called sensory pits. These are a series of fluid filled sacs with tiny hairs that sense vibrations and convert them to electrical impulses. Along the lateral lines, sensory pits are responsible for a fish's equilibrium in the water and look like little pin holes, generally arranged in a cluster.
Hole in the head disease is one of the most common kinds of diseases that affect freshwater fish, especially fish species such as Oscars, discus, and cichlids. The other name for a hole in the head disease is Freshwater Head and Lateral Line Erosion. This disease can prove to be fatal if it is left untreated and can leave permanent scarring on the head of the fish even after the disease has been taken care of. There are many culprits of this disease such as poor nutrition.
Many aquarist rely on pellets and flakes a diet and in essence, these fish need vegetation, meats and fatty acids for health and nutrition.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome62.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lymphocystis and around that ball now it's got swollen :(
But I know lymphocystis if he gets better it's will go by it's self but why he has cloudy dots in each eyes?
Can it's be from Hexamida?
Cichlids rarely get Lymphocystis and it’s never round and pink like that. There are other viral diseases that can cause that, or it could be a tumor.
The water tests don’t show any issues.
The fish could have hexamita, can you post a better picture, one that includes the fish’s head?

Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Arianna7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also called hexamita, hole in the head disease is fairly common among freshwater fish but is typically associated with cichlids . This disease typically presents in the form of a depression in the head accompanied by weight loss and loss of appetite. A Cichlid has spots on their head which are called sensory pits. These are a series of fluid filled sacs with tiny hairs that sense vibrations and convert them to electrical impulses. Along the lateral lines, sensory pits are responsible for a fish's equilibrium in the water and look like little pin holes, generally arranged in a cluster.
Hole in the head disease is one of the most common kinds of diseases that affect freshwater fish, especially fish species such as Oscars, discus, and cichlids. The other name for a hole in the head disease is Freshwater Head and Lateral Line Erosion. This disease can prove to be fatal if it is left untreated and can leave permanent scarring on the head of the fish even after the disease has been taken care of. There are many culprits of this disease such as poor nutrition.
Many aquarist rely on pellets and flakes a diet and in essence, these fish need vegetation, meats and fatty acids for health and nutrition.
Since April he has very good food he eats veges, hikari red pellets nothing raw of cause we give him fish vitamins same ph but it's 6.6 can he get sick from it?
Ammonia 0 NITRITE 0
Nitrate never went more than 20

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Since April he has very good food he eats veges, hikari red pellets nothing raw of cause we give him fish vitamins same ph but it's 6.6 can he get sick from it?
Ammonia 0 NITRITE 0
Nitrate never went more than 20
Ph is acidic. get it up to 7.8
Do regular water changes. I assume you are using Api FW test kit?

OP
OP
A

Arianna7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cichlids rarely get Lymphocystis and it’s never round and pink like that. There are other viral diseases that can cause that, or it could be a tumor.
The water tests don’t show any issues and it Jay
The fish could have hexamita, can you post a better picture, one that includes the fish’s head?
Yes he has definitely hole in the head I thought it's was wound he does sometimes bum bam getting spooked s lot :(

Attachments

• IMG_20210311_171752652.jpg
    IMG_20210311_171752652.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
A

Arianna7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love him very muchwe feeding him with metroplex but Hikari guy told me better add it in the water never heard before what it's better add in the wateri did Furan-2 and Kanaplex no results ichX no results
Because in February we was adding metroplex in the water but back then I didt remove the carbon now I did removed it will see :(

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry to hear about your sick fish. You've got our fish disease expert Jay Hemdal on the case, so you and your fish are in good hands.

OP
OP
A

Arianna7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry to hear about your sick fish. You've got our fish disease expert Jay Hemdal on the case, so you and your fish are in good hands.
Ok thank you so much but what Jay Hemdal think about ? What happen to my fish?? He has hole in the head but Metroplex doesn't really changing him

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my fish got sick a month ago it's a Jack Dempsey boy 4-5 years old I adopted him last April he lived in a very bad invertorment with bad food
So in February I saw he lost a little appetite and start breathing heavily
Welcome!

Hoping fish gets better soon. Sounds like fish is lucky to have your great care!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love him very muchwe feeding him with metroplex but Hikari guy told me better add it in the water never heard before what it's better add in the wateri did Furan-2 and Kanaplex no results ichX no results
Because in February we was adding metroplex in the water but back then I didt remove the carbon now I did removed it will see :(
Adding metroplex to the water doesn't work well with freshwater fish. Although the lesion are on the outside of the fish, the cause is actually Hexamita protozoans in the gut. Freshwater fish don't "drink" tank water like saltwater fish do, so adding the metro to the food is a better way to go, but the dose is tricky. Also, once the lesions get to a certain point on a fish, they won't heal up, they are just scars.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Arianna7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding metroplex to the water doesn't work well with freshwater fish. Although the lesion are on the outside of the fish, the cause is actually Hexamita protozoans in the gut. Freshwater fish don't "drink" tank water like saltwater fish do, so adding the metro to the food is a better way to go, but the dose is tricky. Also, once the lesions get to a certain point on a fish, they won't heal up, they are just scars.

Jay
Good morning yes we adding in the food metroplex and focus but he not only has hole he feels very sick we did ichX and forum 2 with Kanaplex because he has cloudy dots in his eyes not whole eye only dots that's I thought he has an infection too but we feeding him Metroplex can we also add it in the water because it's could get in him a little too from his skin and gills and someone told me he getting sick from low ph his ph is always stable 6.6-6.8 since we got him I don't know which ph he used to have that person wants me to add baking soda but I'm not sure about that so my fish a sluggish dt swim only swim a little for food and when he eats it's definitely seems something hurts him he has lymphocystic on his tail and it's swollen around it and I'm afraid he has in his mouth lymphocystic too but I know if he gets better it's will desappeared by it's self so forum and Kanaplex we add yesterday it's was 4th day from now on only metroplex please help if I'm doing right or maybe you know something I don't please

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back