Help to Settle the Desjardinii Tang Debate -- WWC Purchase

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you got is a Z. desjardini, I am sure you know that already. Is it a Desiadini from Djibouti area as opposed to other area of their range, I do not know since I really don't know the differences between this population vs. the rest of the species from elsewhere.
What is the suppose differences between Djibouti Desjardini vs. non Djibouti Desjardini that command such a large price different?

It is clear to me that the picture on the website is not the fish you got. However, I do not think that the picture is 'WYSIWYG". It is true that it may eventually grow to have the color similar to the picture posted. Is it a "WYSIWYG" type of sale?

BTW, don't worry too much about the face. It darkens with age and with mood. Put a mirror in front of the tank and the face color will darken a lot.

Mine
SailfinTang2009000001.jpg
SailfinTang2009000002.jpg SailfinTang2009000003.jpg SailfinTang2009000004.jpg

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to all R2R members for your insight
As I read through various threads I see the same things. Its like people dont read the entire thread or dont remember it and then post and then come back two pages later and dont know all the specifics of the original question.

I still dont know the answer to the question. I think (know) fish change with age, mood, health, among various other reasons. You are happy with fish, its healthy that is important. I would try to take it up the chain maybe especially since you are a returning customer. Like I said earlier could be a supply chain issue and they dont have someone qualified (or willing) to look into it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer #1: I absolutely love WWC, I have purchased majority of my fish and corals from them, always high quality, always representative colors as in pics on website, always watch their YouTube videos, I am a Raving WWC Fan! @WWC

Disclaimer #2: I know fish change colors/patterns from Juvenile to adults...in my SW aquarium obsession, I have had juvi French angels change, chevron tang change, currently have harem of lyretail anthias with two changed to males, I get it!

I purchased the much more expensive "Djibouti" Sailfin Tang from WWC, I love the colors, the black face, and it is representative of my HS colors, The Tigers :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:!

But, what I received does not look anything like the "Djibouti," but much more like the more common "Sri Lanka" version of the Desjardinii Sailfin Tang, see pics:
VT1.jpg
vt2-jpg.3484281
VT3.jpg

I purchased the "Djibouti Desjardini Sailfin Tang 2.75-3.75" tang from WWC for my birthday on 12/26, here is the pic from the website:
1705763779264.png

I know that simple mistakes can be made, I reached out to WWC Customer Service, and they replied that the correct fish was sent, the colors will change as the fish matures...but, I have seen one in a local fish store, approx the same size as mine, and the colors were definitely difference than my Sailfin Tang "Ricardo."

I am curious to the Tang Fish experts thoughts? My family and I LOVE Ricardo, but I definitely want credit if the wrong Desjardinii Tang was sent in error.

Thanks in Advance,

Txmaverickmh VT2.jpg
He looks different than my run of the mill sailfin.. mine was $50 at the lfs. Not sure which one I have haha.
IMG_0495.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks different than my run of the mill sailfin.. mine was $50 at the lfs. Not sure which one I have haha.
IMG_0495.jpeg
Your’s fish is a Pacific Sailfin. Z. veliferum. A separate species altogether.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh man, in my original post I stated… 1) my family and I love the fish, 2) the Djibouti version is 3X the cost so if mistake was made, would like a refund of difference, 3) I ALREADY reached out to WWC via phone, emailed them pics, they conveniently said I got the correct fish, colors will change up as it mature… more I talk with SW friends I am less convinced, so I decided to reach out to the greatest SW community for their insight, anything wrong with that?

As stated previously, huge WWC fan, actually have shipment being delivered today…just don’t think they sent me the right fish, but hard to prove
Is it worth the extra cost- That is your call as its much prettier but why I included pics was to express the pacific is just as pretty but cant beat the dijbouti when it comes to appearance

OP
OP
txmaverickmh

txmaverickmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Orion! I don’t know if you remember me from old Corpus days, GCReef, good friends with Dr Mark!

I always remember your amazing Nem tank in the store, masterpiece!

MH

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it looks diffrent, quite a bit diffrent with the pictuees you have.

I have the same issue when looking for desjardini tangs. Vendors have these listed as WYSIWYG
top right and bottome left are same size and "same fish" but look completely diffrent pattern wise!

Screenshot_20240120_104557_Chrome.jpg
There is an error on this picture. However the error is not what you pointed out. I think the higher price fish are high priced because they are large, both 7-inch fish. The seller did not say that they are the same fish, they each have different stock number, DT011703 and DT011704.
The error here is the fish DT011703 is a Z. veliferum rather than a Z. desjardini like the other 3 fish.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an error on this picture. However the error is not what you pointed out. I think the higher price fish are high priced because they are large, both 7-inch fish. The seller did not say that they are the same fish, they each have different stock number, DT011703 and DT011704.
The error here is the fish DT011703 is a Z. veliferum rather than a Z. desjardini like the other 3 fish.
Good catch!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Orion! I don’t know if you remember me from old Corpus days, GCReef, good friends with Dr Mark!

I always remember your amazing Nem tank in the store, masterpiece!

MH
Glad to meet you here again. Don't worry about the face. It will darken with age. If you look at the three Desjardini tangs in this picture, as you see the face are darker as they get larger,
3.5, to 4 to 7 inch
screenshot_20240120_104557_chrome-jpg.3484314

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man, in my original post I stated… 1) my family and I love the fish, 2) the Djibouti version is 3X the cost so if mistake was made, would like a refund of difference, 3) I ALREADY reached out to WWC via phone, emailed them pics, they conveniently said I got the correct fish, colors will change up as it mature… more I talk with SW friends I am less convinced, so I decided to reach out to the greatest SW community for their insight, anything wrong with that?

As stated previously, huge WWC fan, actually have shipment being delivered today…just don’t think they sent me the right fish, but hard to prove
I misunderstood your OP - I thought you implied that you got the more expensive fish, Apologies. However, the reason I asked the question 'who cares' - it was because you stated that you loved this fish - so I was wondering what your rationale was? When I would talk to the vendor, I meant talk to them again. I think I did answer your question - They do not look like the same fish. :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree with Pacific sailfin as mine is also and color changes are based on age, diet and origin in many cases.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All these pics got me appreciating Desjardinii Tangs a lot more.
But they can be naughty or nice
Mine was a monster for several months

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thats the case with lots of tangs
It depends on how they are housed and room given. I have 25 and as of tomorrow 26 tangs and rarely is there a fight or concern for fighting. My purple, sailfin and clown tangs are model citizens in which theyre usually aggressive

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at what you posted you definitely didn’t get the correct fish. But I imagine if you had it shipped they don’t want to heave to deal with the solution to this which is just giving you your money back. I see everyone mentioning striping pattern and darkness of the face but it’s like no one sees that the pattern is different and the coloration completely. Honestly how does sec know their distributer didn’t make a mistake. But the truth is if their isn’t a ton of information out there on this fish it could mature into that coloration like for example I have an Indian gold ring bristle tooth tang And it looks like a completely different fish as a juvenile. It’s hard to know for sure though. Either way it’s bad practice to post picture that don’t closely resemble what is for sale.

Last edited:

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick google search for Djibouti desjardini and all the pictures are the same as a regular desjardini. WWC pic is just a stressed out adult desjardini with a little filtering of the pic. Op just got a juvenile or sub adult and will have great coloration within a year with proper care and nutrition.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back