Help with fish selection for reef

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am somewhat new here, I am in my 40s and I was dragged back into the hobby a few years ago because my kids wanting a beta fish. Since then I have setup a 125 and a 40 breeder cichlid tank. About 6 months ago my son got me into saltwater (for the first time) because he wanted a nemo. I bought the fluval 13.5 all in one setup. Since then i have fallen in love with coral. I have a 4 foot 90 gallon in the process of being setup.

My question is about fish for a reef, I currently have 1x 6 line wrasse, 1x watchman goby w/ pistol shrimp in the 13.5 fluval setup (nemo died). When looking for fish for the 90 gallon i am only really interested in fish that can service the reef itself and have a positive impact on the corals and tank. Can you guys help me out with types of fish i should be looking at when thinking about stocking my upcoming 90gallon tank.

Thanks

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you're looking for utilitarian fish, or fish with a purpose. here are my suggestions for a 90G.

tomini tang or 2-3 court jester goby's.
melanurus wrasse or yellow wrasse (unless you want to keep your 6line wrasse, but in a 90G you'd benefit from a 2nd wrasse)

beyond the above, any peaceful fish that can fit comfortably (full grown) in a 90G will do well. this could be any fish you and your family like. firefish, blennies, jawfish, sand sifting goby, anthias, etc could make great additions

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow those court jester gobys are awesome looking
thoughts on a squaretail bristletooth tang over the tomini ?
Can I add a melanurus or a yellow with the 6line ? if i wanted to go with 2 wrasses what would be the best bet ? same species or different ?

Thanks

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
wow those court jester gobys are awesome looking
thoughts on a squaretail bristletooth tang over the tomini ?
Can I add a melanurus or a yellow with the 6line ? if i wanted to go with 2 wrasses what would be the best bet ? same species or different ?

Thanks
when/if adding either of those wrasses, ether make sure they're bigger than the 6line, or add the 6line last.

squaretail is a fine choice. i only suggested tomini as it is common, and stays under 6-7inches from what i've read/researched.

jerses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sixline can be a bully.

i'd second the melanurus wrasse and yellow wrasse. both are beautiful and i've had better luck with. i just wouldn't mix the yellow wrasse with larger shrimp.

BobTheBlenney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus and a yellow together and they do great. Always on the hunt so they do a good job keeping pesty worms down but will appreciate the addition of some pods. They will probably eat any smaller shrimp though.

If you want peaceful fish then rehome the six line.

Back