What is best way to start cycle if you desire to do it slowly

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check that thread I posted, agreed its kind of confusing at the start.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason I'm having to describe them, is because nobody told me about it initially and that apparently applies here.

this gold mine of skip cycle work you allude to: feel free to post any if you know of reef cycling articles that cover skip cycling.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you misunderstand, I never had any ammonia, nitrites or nitrates detected. This is same condition as when I started the tank. I think my coral is not doing good.

As for organisms, I have the following

1 Scarlet Hermit Crab
2 Red Tip Hermit Crabs
1 Halloween Hermit Crab

Note this crabs only added in last 4 days and I had Algae before that.

Right. The ammonia is food for the algae, if the ammonia is converted into nitrites/nitrates before the algae get to it the resulting nitrites/nitrates are also food for the algae.

All the ammonia produced (and it probably isn’t much) has either been directly consumed by the algae before it reaches detectable concentrations, or has been converted to nitrites and nitrates and then absorbed by the algae at the same rate it’s been produced, so never reaches detectable concentrations.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stewart it's this simple

the live rock % in the tank is enough to run the tank completely, all the rock was already cycled at petco. the white portions don't count, they're too small to matter. I listed additional reasons those happened to be cycled too, but not because they came dry from a pet store. it is all very complicated I agree/check out that thread.

moving live rocks from petco to home does not uncycle those rocks, therefore your new tank was ready immediately upon setup

you skipped the cycle. the reason you don't have ammonia concerns is because 1. you got lucky your test kit allowed you to see that and 2. your whole system is completely cycled.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and Garf, I'm asking if you will please post cycle training material you know of that teaches about skip cycling. lots of people would like to see that.

all the material I see on youtube talks about the importance of not nitrite stalling etc.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and Garf, I'm asking if you will please post cycle training material you know of that teaches about skip cycling. lots of people would like to see that.
Brew12s sticky at the top of this forum on live rock is accurate; its been there for 7 years; I quote;

Live rock is rock that does have living bacteria on it. The main reason to use live rock is to speed up the cycling process. Just like with dry rock, not all live rock is ready to put immediately in an aquarium. For simplicity I am going to put live rock in 2 broad categories. If your live rock came directly out of a marine system and is kept submerged in quality water during transport you can put it directly into your tank. If the rock was exposed to air or shipped damp then it needs to be cured prior to use. The bacteria on this rock will be fine but other living things may have died and should be removed prior to putting it in the tank
Can you point out the parts that are wrong or incomplete, I'm sure the mods will look at it and decide on any modifications required.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stewart it's this simple

the live rock % in the tank is enough to run the tank completely, all the rock was already cycled at petco. the white portions don't count, they're too small to matter. I listed additional reasons those happened to be cycled too, but not because they came dry from a pet store. it is all very complicated I agree/check out that thread.

moving live rocks from petco to home does not uncycle those rocks, therefore your new tank was ready immediately upon setup

you skipped the cycle. the reason you don't have ammonia concerns is because 1. you got lucky your test kit allowed you to see that and 2. your whole system is completely cycled.
Interesting, on top of live rock, I also got live sand from PetCo.

I still have 2 concerns

1. What I about Nitrate level, I have a book that indicates that last part of cycle ones nitrate level needs to be up
2. My Zenia Pom Pom Coral is not blooming, It is located at lower middle left rock in image

I did notice a couple of Crabs moving around,
I will reviews the threads tommorrow

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf

How dare we not know of that clause from a web post of a hundred pages. It says set it in your tank that's not a detailed skip cycle advice but it's close enough for what I asked for.

Stewart
Nitrate doesn't matter, you can see that's a testless cycling thread.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back