What is best way to start cycle if you desire to do it slowly

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in no rush but I am curious if I just leave it alone, will the tank start cycle. I have live rock in with dry work. I not sure if I should or should not add amoninia to the tank.
Keep in mind, I can wait as long as end of the summer to add fish. My primary desired is to see if my Fluval Sea EVO 13.5 supports healthly fish by end of year. If so I will purchase bigger tanks. This is my first Saltwater and I know not rushing it is a good thing.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
When you say live rock, is this from the ocean, a fellow hobbyist or LFS? If it is from the ocean or a fellow hobbyist depending on how much you got you probably have enough of the beneficial bacteria to be “cycled”. If it is rock that a LFS had that is wet, you should ask if they were providing a source to feed the bacteria. The bacteria is all around in the environment but needs a food source to colonize.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added live rock already, you have the bacteria and may not see the typical start and stop of the rising and falling of ammonia and nitrite.

The term cycling your tang is not quite accurate as a tank is always cycling. In a quick summary, you have waste that is ammonia that you can see in testing. Another bacteria breaks down ammonia into nitrite and another into nitrate. What you are testing is their waste products. There is many more things going on as well and other stuff being created and broken down as well but this is the main.

What you are doing is establishing the bacteria needed for the bioload you have. This fluctuates constantly in a tank but does establish an equilibrium over time of things are kept steady.

By adding live rock you have the bacteria already. The question is how much live rock? If wanting to add fish, the 13.5g will limit this. You do have choices but will be looking at small gobies mainly and a few other unique fish. You can list or ask what fish and we can assist with ideas. Maybe even some you haven't heard of lol. You will also want to add slowly as the bacteria adjusts. While you can dose ammonia, it isn't always necessary.

If you also want corals, now is a great time to add. They produce low waste and most will bring more bacteria with them such as on skeleton, plugs or rock it's attached to. This will also help diversify. You can begin also adding a small cleanup crew as well.

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Scarlet Hermit Crab and two small hermit Crabs and today added a Halloween Hermit Crab and a Xenia Pom Pom Coral. I not sure if the Halloween is moving around, but I notice one of the small hermit Crabs (Red Tip?) climb on top of it. I thougt I saw little legs on the Halloween. Not sure if the Coral is smart thing now.

I don't planned to dose with ammonia. However I purchased nutritrians and also have some sea weed for the crabs. The Coral is currently on the sand so I can see it.

I am noticing more algae now and on the right side of tank. They gave me three shells for the Halloween when it grows.,

The planned is next year to purchase 2 75 Gallon tanks if this one is successful. The 13.5 will be used as quarateen tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Scarlet Hermit Crab and two small hermit Crabs and today added a Halloween Hermit Crab and a Xenia Pom Pom Coral. I not sure if the Halloween is moving around, but I notice one of the small hermit Crabs (Red Tip?) climb on top of it. I thougt I saw little legs on the Halloween. Not sure if the Coral is smart thing now.

I don't planned to dose with ammonia. However I purchased nutritrians and also have some sea weed for the crabs. The Coral is currently on the sand so I can see it.

I am noticing more algae now and on the right side of tank. They gave me three shells for the Halloween when it grows.,

The planned is next year to purchase 2 75 Gallon tanks if this one is successful. The 13.5 will be used as quarateen tank.
Um... You've added inverts and they haven't died, so the ammonia isn't too high. If you increase the bioload slowly, you should be fine.

bafia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely add some sort of bacteria to your tank. I added bio-spira in mine for a quick start!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely add some sort of bacteria to your tank. I added bio-spira in mine for a quick start!
Why?? I mean, it won't hurt anything but it seems quite unnecessary unless the plan is to add a bunch of fish all at once...

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steal wife's pantyhose use it as a bag for some raw shrimp toss them In and walk away
That is good idea except I never been married. I guess I find a cheap pair.
Curious how many shrimp and how long?

I wondering if I have two much rock in my tank. Note this is older image just more algae.

13.5_050324.jpg

Last edited:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Rock I’ve never used any thing else
A good foundation for your reef
It’s that good you can run your tank without any filter just live rock and a skimmers and a couple of power heads .

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in no rush but I am curious if I just leave it alone, will the tank start cycle. I have live rock in with dry work. I not sure if I should or should not add amoninia to the tank.
Keep in mind, I can wait as long as end of the summer to add fish. My primary desired is to see if my Fluval Sea EVO 13.5 supports healthly fish by end of year. If so I will purchase bigger tanks. This is my first Saltwater and I know not rushing it is a good thing.

1 raw cocktail shrimp.

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Rock I’ve never used any thing else
A good foundation for your reef
It’s that good you can run your tank without any filter just live rock and a skimmers and a couple of power heads .
This is combination of 2 medium live rock and 1 larger one

I currently have 2 power heads (standard one and one for flow) and no skimmer yet.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is combination of 2 medium live rock and 1 larger one

I currently have 2 power heads (standard one and one for flow) and no skimmer yet.
Yep live rock is good. Get a good skimmer . Enjoy your journey in reefing

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're tank is probably cycled . Just stick one shrimp in for the crabs to eat . How long has it been up and running?

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're tank is probably cycled . Just stick one shrimp in for the crabs to eat . How long has it been up and running?
My tanks is all 0's in parameters and no Nitrate or Amonia. It only been a month and I desired to do first Reef tank slowly. I just saw a Crab in tank so they do move around.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was going to do 3 shrimp, but I can do just 1. I planned to do a water test now and before adding it.

No need to test for anything more than temperature and salinity now.

Real testing starts after you add the shrimp ( or two or three ).

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was going to do 3 shrimp, but I can do just 1. I planned to do a water test now and before adding it.
Don’t rot garbage in your aquarium. Just feed the animals that you already added. Rotting shrimp is another way to add ammonia. Your new arrivals will do that for you. Just feed them.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 157 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back