Hi from CT!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Clownfish are very territorial and as @vetteguy53081 said they all start as males. The dominate of the two will transition to a female eventually, if the less-dominate one survives that long. They will definitely fight even after one transitions just to retain the hierarchy. The question is not will they fight, yes they will, the question is will one of them kill the other. If it looks like it is heading in that direction you will need to catch out the dominate one and put it in an isolation box for a period of time. Usually after a few days or maybe a little more you won't see the aggressive one reacting every time the other approaches. A few days after that you can try to reintroduce the aggressor but be prepared to catch it out again. Hopefully they will fight for dominance but not to the point of inflicting real damage, but be warned, clownfish are very territorial and are quite often the tank bully. Sometimes they even bite their keeper.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
Coolrthnme

Coolrthnme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Clownfish are very territorial and as @vetteguy53081 said they all start as males. The dominate of the two will transition to a female eventually, if the less-dominate one survives that long. They will definitely fight even after one transitions just to retain the hierarchy. The question is not will they fight, yes they will, the question is will one of them kill the other. If it looks like it is heading in that direction you will need to catch out the dominate one and put it in an isolation box for a period of time. Usually after a few days or maybe a little more you won't see the aggressive one reacting every time the other approaches. A few days after that you can try to reintroduce the aggressor but be prepared to catch it out again. Hopefully they will fight for dominance but not to the point of inflicting real damage, but be warned, clownfish are very territorial and are quite often the tank bully. Sometimes they even bite their keeper.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Thanks for all of that! I’m going to keep checking on them and ordering a timeout box for Truman if he keeps it up and if the new guy makes it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropping in to say Hello! Only about 2 months into reefing and I have lots of questions.
One of the first ones is I just got a second clownfish and my original clown (Truman) is being a complete jerk to him. Should I be concerned that my new guy won’t make it the night?
Talk soon I’m sure!
Welcome.

We are not very far from each other. I'm in Haddam.
Check out the CTARS area in Connecticut in the local forums on Reef2Reef.

OP
OP
Coolrthnme

Coolrthnme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

We are not very far from each other. I'm in Haddam.
Check out the CTARS area in Connecticut in the local forums on Reef2Reef.
Oh hi Neighbor! Thanks for the info. Not sure if you have an LFS near you but I recently found OSA in Groton. Decent prices and selections.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hi Neighbor! Thanks for the info. Not sure if you have an LFS near you but I recently found OSA in Groton. Decent prices and selections.
Yes, I'm working with Joe to get a meeting together in May at the store. You should come!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back