OP
OP
D

Denise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t you sweet? Welcome to R2R. The people on here (not me) are very knowledgeable and friendly. And welcome to the hobby. Lots of fun :)
That's ok Mariette! We'll learn together. I feel overwhelmed by all the information I have been taking in in the last few days. Just makes the itch to get my tank underway all the more...itchy? LOL Ok, that was a little weird, but hey we all gotta embrace our weird sometimes right?

OP
OP
D

Denise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DENISE!!! WELCOME to R2R!!! So glad you joined up and lept from the shadows.
This really is a great site and chock full of wonderful people and great advice. We are looking forward to your participation. Now if we could only convince you to share some shot of your tank and system...
Like and share often!
LOL P-Dub, if I were to share a shot of my tank and system you would be looking at a picture of empty air. I used to have a 50-gallon freshwater and 20 gallon brackish, but when I moved from Maryland back to my native Nevada they couldn't come with me, unfortunately. My fav fishie friend that I used to have was a Figure Eight Puffer named Butters. Such a cute little rascal! I promise as soon as we close on our new home in about two weeks, I will be getting underway, and THEN I will begin the sharing ;)

OP
OP
D

Denise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a beginner too! Learning a lot! Feel free to share any insights!
Hi Bleigh! Nice to meet a fellow newbie. I have never felt more welcomed to a group of like-minded people in my life. THIS IS AWESOME!!!! When did you begin our journey into saltwater Bleigh? How did you go about deciding what to get?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL P-Dub, if I were to share a shot of my tank and system you would be looking at a picture of empty air. I used to have a 50-gallon freshwater and 20 gallon brackish, but when I moved from Maryland back to my native Nevada they couldn't come with me, unfortunately. My fav fishie friend that I used to have was a Figure Eight Puffer named Butters. Such a cute little rascal! I promise as soon as we close on our new home in about two weeks, I will be getting underway, and THEN I will begin the sharing ;)
We are waiting with bated breath. Make sure you post a link here to your build thread so we can follow along.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R friends,
I am totally new to the salt water world and while I’ve been researching I met a really nice reefer at my LFS who said R2R is THE BEST forum out there for the hobby. So after two weeks of lurking, here I am saying hello and HELP! Lol. I have loved everything I have read so far. The beginner topic on tank flow and power heads. OMG what a wonderful article!!!!! I’m so excited to begin my dive into the hobby and seeing all the beautiful examples of everyone’s tanks is awe inspiring. Thank you for exsisting R2R!!!!! I look forward to the vast network of knowledge!!! Cheers! [emoji3526]

Your “dive” into the hobby!! ISWYDT. You are going to fit in just fine! Lots of various degrees of experience. Let’s hear what you have? Or what you are trying to put together?

OP
OP
D

Denise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your “dive” into the hobby!! ISWYDT. You are going to fit in just fine! Lots of various degrees of experience. Let’s hear what you have? Or what you are trying to put together?
Right now I have zip-a-dee doo-daa. What I am thinking though is starting with an AIO, probably Innovative Marine, around the 40-gallon mark. I want to try and get away with only having to purchase one light, for the time being, so thinking a square tank. Definitely, want to start off with some softies in the coral department and clowns and gobies in the fish friends department. The absolute love of my life fish, the Mandarin "goby", I just read is a tough little rascal to keep...so I guess I have to wait for that one :( I would also like to hear your guys and gals opinions of some good coral and/or fish companies that ship...there is only 1 LFS that I trust here where I live and its supply is rather is limited.
Cheers everyone! And thank you!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have zip-a-dee doo-daa. What I am thinking though is starting with an AIO, probably Innovative Marine, around the 40-gallon mark. I want to try and get away with only having to purchase one light, for the time being, so thinking a square tank. Definitely, want to start off with some softies in the coral department and clowns and gobies in the fish friends department. The absolute love of my life fish, the Mandarin "goby", I just read is a tough little rascal to keep...so I guess I have to wait for that one :( I would also like to hear your guys and gals opinions of some good coral and/or fish companies that ship...there is only 1 LFS that I trust here where I live and its supply is rather is limited.

BRS talks up WWC and I am getting my first delivery today!! Will keep you posted. No LFS for me so I am all mail order all the time. I do work in the Burgh each month and there is a great one there that I may buy from and drive back with them the 7 hours myself.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ok Mariette! We'll learn together. I feel overwhelmed by all the information I have been taking in in the last few days. Just makes the itch to get my tank underway all the more...itchy? LOL Ok, that was a little weird, but hey we all gotta embrace our weird sometimes right?

Haha... you’ll find plenty of weird here [emoji12][emoji851]

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The mandarin isn’t hard to keep... as long as the tank is big enough and well established. I’d tried all of the “methods” of keeping them in smaller tanks long term... and failed. Wasn’t successful until I went over 100 gallons tank size (current tank is 120), and my gal now keeps herself happy with very minimal effort on my part. I’ve had her for two years.

For fish that ship, I have purchased most from Live Aquaria and NY aquatics. I’ve yet to order from them yet... but have heard good things about Fishy Business Aquatics. Should add as a disclaimer though, I QT all of my fish... even from reputable sources. There is a high prevalence of parasites in the supply chain these days, and much easier to handle them as they pop up in QT than in your reef tank...

For corals... battlecorals and wwc are pretty popular albeit expensive. Pieces of the Ocean has had some pretty nice sale tags in their second chance section. But, 90% of my corals have come from swapping with locals... so be sure to check out your area for local clubs and frag swaps!

OP
OP
D

Denise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandarin isn’t hard to keep... as long as the tank is big enough and well established. I’d tried all of the “methods” of keeping them in smaller tanks long term... and failed. Wasn’t successful until I went over 100 gallons tank size (current tank is 120), and my gal now keeps herself happy with very minimal effort on my part. I’ve had her for two years.

For fish that ship, I have purchased most from Live Aquaria and NY aquatics. I’ve yet to order from them yet... but have heard good things about Fishy Business Aquatics. Should add as a disclaimer though, I QT all of my fish... even from reputable sources. There is a high prevalence of parasites in the supply chain these days, and much easier to handle them as they pop up in QT than in your reef tank...

For corals... battlecorals and wwc are pretty popular albeit expensive. Pieces of the Ocean has had some pretty nice sale tags in their second chance section. But, 90% of my corals have come from swapping with locals... so be sure to check out your area for local clubs and frag swaps!
Thank you so much for all that info . That makes me so happy to know about the mandarin. I had heard they are picky and tough to keep. Once I get going in the hobby I am going to get my dream fishie. HUZZAH!!!!!!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for all that info . That makes me so happy to know about the mandarin. I had heard they are picky and tough to keep. Once I get going in the hobby I am going to get my dream fishie. HUZZAH!!!!!!

Nah, just a decent sized tank that is mature and packed full of copepods and amphipods with peaceful fishes. I've had one in as small as a 45g RR cube but the pod population in the DT and dedicated fuge was abundant and the only other fishes in the tank were a mated pair of clowns.

OP
OP
D

Denise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WOW! Thank you for those recommendations for fishie friends. I love, love, love the species they offer on Live Aquaria. And the prices seem very reasonable as well! What is your routine for QT once your new babies arrive?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back