lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. First is “52 weeks of reefing” (lots of info but long and things have changed since it was made). Second video series is “5 minute guide”, shorter, good info

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard!!!
Choices, choices, choices, take your time, research and ask alot of questions here. People are friendly and will help you with qualified opinions. Some may conflict with others, but alot of that is just personal preferences.
But ask your questions regardless!!!
Happy reefing!!!
ZomboMeme 12012021150518.jpg

OP
OP
jodindave

jodindave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome .

it can be a little overwhelming at the start. .
Best to plan as much as you possibly can .

size : go as big as you can for the available size
Plan a spot and imagine your new setup there .
with as big as you can keep in mind the cost of equipment .

if you can go with a sump it does make things easier for maintenance and somewhere to house things such as skimmers , refugium , media reactors etc .
We haven't quite figured out what exactly skimmers, refugium and media reactors are yet. We are trying to learn about the sump system though.

OP
OP
jodindave

jodindave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. First is “52 weeks of reefing” (lots of info but long and things have changed since it was made). Second video series is “5 minute guide”, shorter, good info

Thanks for the info, we have been watching the videos. They do explain a lot.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We haven't quite figured out what exactly skimmers, refugium and media reactors are yet. We are trying to learn about the sump system though.
It will all come in time . You’re on the right track !

Good luck

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It can be easy to get immobilized by all of the choices available in the hobby. One way to short circuit some of the choices is to look around for used set ups online -- it becomes what you see is what you get, and then you can make it your own as you learn more.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

My husband and I have decided to get a salt water tank. We had one many years ago with zero success. This time we are taking things slower and trying to learn more before we even get the tank. We are both a little (lot) overwhelmed at all the options and where to start. We thought we would start with a small, all in one tank and then realized that a bigger tank would probably be better for us. But the filtration systems, lighting and other options are all above us. We have decided that we need to figure out what size tank and what kind of filtration system will best suit our needs but WOW the choices!
Welcome! First I would youtube videos on sump vs cannister and decide the route you want to go. If you go with a cannister filter you will have HOB "hang on back" equipment and can use aquariums that are not drilled. If you go with sump you get a drilled tank. Learn how to cycle a tank. Then find beginner fish and corals not just items that catch your eye. Always have atleast a basic test kit and trace elements test kit. Decide whether you want to mix your own saltwater or buy it. Research the best salt for your budget/needs and stick with it. Never feel dumb for asking questions on here, there's alot of smart pants on this forum that love to share their wisdom, happy reefing!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

My husband and I have decided to get a salt water tank. We had one many years ago with zero success. This time we are taking things slower and trying to learn more before we even get the tank. We are both a little (lot) overwhelmed at all the options and where to start. We thought we would start with a small, all in one tank and then realized that a bigger tank would probably be better for us. But the filtration systems, lighting and other options are all above us. We have decided that we need to figure out what size tank and what kind of filtration system will best suit our needs but WOW the choices!
Welcome!

whale GIF

OP
OP
jodindave

jodindave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! First I would youtube videos on sump vs cannister and decide the route you want to go. If you go with a cannister filter you will have HOB "hang on back" equipment and can use aquariums that are not drilled. If you go with sump you get a drilled tank. Learn how to cycle a tank. Then find beginner fish and corals not just items that catch your eye. Always have atleast a basic test kit and trace elements test kit. Decide whether you want to mix your own saltwater or buy it. Research the best salt for your budget/needs and stick with it. Never feel dumb for asking questions on here, there's alot of smart pants on this forum that love to share their wisdom, happy reefing!
Thanks for the info!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back