Hitchhiker coral?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still pretty hard to tell, my gut still says rhodactis (like rhodactis Indonesensis. . . But if the name is any indicator, those come from Indonesia and you rock came from the gulf?) though the “tentacles” on the periphery are throwing me. . . among other things haha

1711720839431.jpeg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like an RFA in the clearer pics. Cool hitchhiker. I’ve gotten coral almost every time as a hitch hiker from gulf rock that I’ve ordered . KP is the only one I’ve never gotten coral.

OP
OP
Mytoy

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Exact opposite for me. I’ve only ever gotten a coral / neme with this shipment. First time using KP and will probably always use them. i got several brittle stars, crabs, and even a small fish, which I think was a wrasse, but I didn’t see it after day 1 and I’m pretty sure it’s gone. Great LR.

Thanks for all the input. I’m going to go with it’s an RFA for now. I’ll post updates if this thing grows out. It’s currently retreating a little into the rock. It does not like the lights. This after I changed my scape after noticing it yesterday and moved it lower. Really doesn’t like the Blue lights. I can turn my whites to 100% and it will expand its tenticals, but with my blue on at less than 50 it’s completely retracted and compact. Hopefully it acclimates.

OP
OP
Mytoy

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It reminds me Bellactis caeruleus, which apparently comes in a wide range of colors, including a very striking blue:
It's an interesting critter, and may be what you have.
Looks interesting, however, mine doesn’t have the bulbous tips. Who knows, maybe it will develop that way. Thanks for sharing.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks interesting, however, mine doesn’t have the bulbous tips. Who knows, maybe it will develop that way. Thanks for sharing.
For what it's worth, like BTA's, these don't always have the bulbous tentacles (see the link below), and a few of the tentacles visible in a couple of your pics look like they may "bulb-up" if they decide to.

The link with the original pic from the description of the species (note that only a few of the tentacles look like they may be bulbous):

OP
OP
Mytoy

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, like BTA's, these don't always have the bulbous tentacles (see the link below), and a few of the tentacles visible in a couple of your pics look like they may "bulb-up" if they decide to.

The link with the original pic from the description of the species (note that only a few of the tentacles look like they may be bulbous):
Very possible. It does resemble this pic in form.

OP
OP
Mytoy

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was a way for me to take a better pic without turning my blues down. It seems happy right now. Lights are at peak and it’s wide open but with tentacles not as extended. We may have to wait until it grows out a little to get a positive ID. I really like RFA right now.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The standard RFA in trade doesn't have quite so many tentacles in the central area of the oral disk, but the Phymanthus family has many more species than we typically see in stores. I'm betting it's a close relative and will act and grow much the same as a RFA. The only thing I will mention is that some relatives, like the Borneman's Anemone, can reproduce asexually, and become a problem over time.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It reminds me Bellactis caeruleus, which apparently comes in a wide range of colors, including a very striking blue:
It's an interesting critter, and may be what you have.
Another interesting possibility! The tentacles in the picture are smaller, but who knows how they will morph in captivity.

OP
OP
Mytoy

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The standard RFA in trade doesn't have quite so many tentacles in the central area of the oral disk, but the Phymanthus family has many more species than we typically see in stores. I'm betting it's a close relative and will act and grow much the same as a RFA. The only thing I will mention is that some relatives, like the Borneman's Anemone, can reproduce asexually, and become a problem over time.
Thanks for the info!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back