homemade coral dip.

five O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that I will rely a commercial brand. It's $12.00 every few months. It's not going to break the bank. It's better to have piece of mind.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer advanced works wonders!! I have used the commercial available coral dips and they DON'T work as well as the Bayer!!! I use a 10 ml of Bayer to 1L of tank water and dip for 15 min. Then I rinse in another container of tank water before I put the coral in the tank.

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else get annoyed that when you use bayer its like dipping in milk and its really hard to tell if anything even gets knocked off? I still like levamisole, at least I can tell easily when any nasties come off.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome, ive also read that just to use it on sps and not lps. is this true?

This could be true. I have never used it on anything but SPS...there was a frag of meteor shower cyphastrea(sp?)on one of my SPS plugs and it seems to be fine. Some say that is a LPS but I have always thought of it as SPS....

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else get annoyed that when you use bayer its like dipping in milk and its really hard to tell if anything even gets knocked off? I still like levamisole, at least I can tell easily when any nasties come off.

Yeah, it is annoying not to be able to see the frags in the dip. But I always pour it out really slow when I'm finished and see all the "critters" it kills. I never know I had so many bristle worms.....

OP
OP
aslmx

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get this stuff? can you get it over the counter or at lowes or home depot

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine at Lowes in the insect killer department. Bayer advanced insect killer. I use 10ml to 1L of tank water and dip for 15 min. rinse and add to tank...

thereeferdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know! One thing I would do differently than the video poster is I would put on gloves when dipping my hands in insecticide solution. Less is better when chemical dealing with chemical exposure. Just saying... :neutral:

blackx-runner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow good to know. That stuff is a lot cheaper than the coral dip. Would be nice to know if it can be used on more than just sps though.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other forum has a big 17 page thread with all kinds of people tests and been used on zoas lps and sps. So far only known coral to react bad is A. Hyacinthus

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

killereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything that you buy for the reef tank hobby adds up, $12 here $12 dollars there, it adds up quickly. I am going to used this DIY dip myself, glad to see this.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing, a friend of mine is using this stuff without any problems, I will try it myself also.

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this also,left some frags in it for 30 min once, (sps) didn't bother them.

jessikarabbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can it be used on any SPS? We've never dipped our corals or put them in a QT, just hoped for the best. We only had LPS though until recently. Just got an idaho grape monti cap and plan on inspecting it for any unlikeables, but dont have anything at this point.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 66 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back