How big is your Clown Trigger, and how fast has it grown?

How big is your Clown Trigger?

• 2"-4"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6"-8"

• 8"-10"

• 10"-12"

• 12'+

• Total voters

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you own a Clown Trigger, please post up with how big it was when you bought it, how long you have had it, and how big is it now. I'm working on my 270g 84x30x25 build and would like to get a Clown Trigger. I'm wondering how large these actually get in the home aquariums and how long that takes.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get alot of exaggerations, 1st off I'll start with a little reality, 20" is the max size in the wild. The common size of these fish, and all fish for that matter, are much smaller than the max size listed. The longest I kept one was 7-8 years and he was less than 7", I got him at about 2", he was in a 180g. I personally introduced one at 5-6" into a 10k gallon aquarium and about 10 years later he was still under 10". I personally have never seen one over 10" in a home aquarium and I have seen many in very large aquariums. They do grow on the slower side, a 2" may reach 5" in a couple years time, then slow a bit, then when reaching around 7" slow more. It is very common to keep these guys going toward 15 years. I've seen a number of them where people had them over 10 years. This is just my take, I am no expert, and others will have varying experiences.

A tip, get a juvi and grow him up, if you get one no bigger than 2", they will grow up much more civilized. Getting them at a larger purchase size usually comes with the super aggressive attitiude many warn you about.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get alot of exaggerations, 1st off I'll start with a little reality, 20" is the max size in the wild. The common size of these fish, and all fish for that matter, are much smaller than the max size listed. The longest I kept one was 7-8 years and he was less than 7", I got him at about 2", he was in a 180g. I personally introduced one at 5-6" into a 10k gallon aquarium and about 10 years later he was still under 10". I personally have never seen one over 10" in a home aquarium and I have seen many in very large aquariums. They do grow on the slower side, a 2" may reach 5" in a couple years time, then slow a bit, then when reaching around 7" slow more. It is very common to keep these guys going toward 15 years. I've seen a number of them where people had them over 10 years. This is just my take, I am no expert, and others will have varying experiences.

A tip, get a juvi and grow him up, if you get one no bigger than 2", they will grow up much more civilized. Getting them at a larger purchase size usually comes with the super aggressive attitiude many warn you about.

Thanks, that is really good info. I wish places like LA would include growth rates as part of their info on the fish. I know that would be hard because there are some many variables, but even a broad guideline would be helpful.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HEy THanks for that tip.

I just got a Juvi (on a whim) Just under 2" and really don't know which of my 4 Tanks he should go into when QT is over.

Can you peek at my Thread and give me your advice.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anyone-raise-a-juvenile-clown-trigger-i-need-advice.810854/

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Warehouse in SD has one that has to be 12+ inches for like $500. I don't know if any of their employees are on r2r but hopefully one will find this thread and chime in

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back