0   0   0
Can anyone name these my wifes Fav

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 7.57.05 PM.png

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who said no one likes those? i'm just in the learning stages of all this reef/saltwater tank stuff, but I love the polyp corals! I couldn't see not having them.

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm personally on a mission to stay paly and zoa free. Those are zoanthids and they're GORGEOUS not to mention fast growing as easy to keep. They are just dangerous if you don't follow proper precautions like wearing gloves and eye protection. Look up Palythoa Toxica before buying corals like these. I have too many fur babies and little people running around here to add additional risk to our environment.

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad I totally didn't read the article you screen shoted. People love them, they are also starting to wake up to them being more dangerous than initially perceived.

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm personally on a mission to stay paly and zoa free. Those are zoanthids and they're GORGEOUS not to mention fast growing as easy to keep. They are just dangerous if you don't follow proper precautions like wearing gloves and eye protection. Look up Palythoa Toxica before buying corals like these. I have too many fur babies and little people running around here to add additional risk to our environment.
Really?? I've never had issues. In order for a toxin like that to affect you, you need to expose some sort of cut skin or mucosa membrane like the mouth or in the eyes. Also, if you want frag them, you can use techniques that avoid butchering the coral. Sometimes, education is the answer to cure your fears. And, those are palys.

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concerns are my nephews. Little dudes are in everything and a couple tanks are open top. The only time those cases are fatal are with children. I'm definitely great at the game of worst case scenario but I'm playing it safe until the boys understand. It's more respect over fear.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get out of the zoa page then hahahah. All corals are dangerous to your health.They all release a mucous substance to protect themselves that can cause infection. Just teach the little guys to be careful and to respect all living things.

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all corals produce the same kind of toxins and I'm also here to learn... there is also only so much work to be done on children between the ages of 1-4.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all corals produce the same kind of toxins and I'm also here to learn... there is also only so much work to be done on children between the ages of 1-4.
O wow! Very young! I think they all produce lethal toxins there's jist not enough studies out there to prove it

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah unless your kids take them out and play with them or eat them there's nothing to worry about. Most of these cases are from people boiling their rocks on the oven to try to kill pests. It's the steam that kills the household. Never boil anything. When people talk about cooking their rock, it's meant to let it sit in bleach or just letting it sit in a holding tank to let all the decaying stuff decay before adding it to a tank.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It bothers me a little that i can name almost every one there. Only one that got me stumped is the big yellow polyps with long skirts next to the utter chaos.
Jps yellow sunsets made up name on the fly lol. (It a keeper)

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a decent bit on the paly thoa front in respects to how it's transmitted. I'm the type to get buried in Google searches. I just read so many first hand accounts, some were about the toxin building up over time and having isolated incidents set off the reaction. I'm shoulder deep in tanks at least thirty percent of my work day. I'm just trying to stay knowledge and out of harms way. It's also something people are discussing more readily because there are more documented cases requiring treatment for many near fatal cases. Granted the most severe were boiling related.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad I totally didn't read the article you screen shoted. People love them, they are also starting to wake up to them being more dangerous than initially perceived.

I'd argue the danger is overblown. If it was more dangerous then we'd see more stories of issues. The palytoxin stories are few and far between compared to the number of us keeping a lot of zoas and palys.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd argue the danger is overblown. If it was more dangerous then we'd see more stories of issues. The palytoxin stories are few and far between compared to the number of us keeping a lot of zoas and palys.
Dumb people are everywhere lol. As the hobby grows we'll see more. If everyone would read before doing something like boiling a rock full of proto palys or wear gloves and eye protection the world would be a safer place

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back