How do I raise PH

Fafaflunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 120g tank set up for about 6 months now and am having trouble raising the PH in it. Currently it is at 7.55 and I'm using a Kent product, but after several doses, it still has not gone up.

What is the best way to raise PH?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't chase pH. If you have a CO2 problem, the easiest way to solve this is to run your skimmer air pickup outside. Do not use these "buffers" they sell without testing your alkalinity levels. They will raise your alkalinity. (I personally wouldn't use them). If you are currently using two part, consider switching to kalkwasser (easiest in your ATO reservoir). And finally, the pH could possibly be 7.5, but I'd also want to verify that by having a friend test it of taking a sample to your LFS.

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fafaflunky

Fafaflunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after checking myself and taking water sample to LFS it appears that my seneye is not working correctly. PH looks to be around 8.0-8.2 from manual test kit and results from LFS.

Any ideas why seneye is reading such a low number? PH is down to 7.51 according to seneye... Anyone else encounter this issue?

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I test for ph is stick you finger in the water. Taste the water if it tastes salty your ph is perfect. No honestly I rarely test my ph and never ever ever ever chase it. If you do you will pull all your hair out and it still wont be right. IT can read different depending on the time of day, by the weather outside, insidcoditions i.e. are you cooking, many many things effect ph in the tank. Way to many variables to try and chase

LIreefguy106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note, for my own information, (and I don't mean to hijack this thread) which is preferred: kalkwasser or 2-part?

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For maintaining ph Kalk for maintaining alk and cal well it depends on your tank. Kalk is cheaper and better imo

LIreefguy106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I was opening Pandora's box with this one. It's one of those long disputed debates I'm sure. Correct me if I'm wrong but from the research I've done and the in depth videos that BRS has on the BRS160, it sounds like kalkwasser is preferred for replenishment in the short term but the 2-part cal-alk solutions are preferred in addition to kalkwasser for long term benefits. Do I have that right?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I was opening Pandora's box with this one. It's one of those long disputed debates I'm sure. Correct me if I'm wrong but from the research I've done and the in depth videos that BRS has on the BRS160, it sounds like kalkwasser is preferred for replenishment in the short term but the 2-part cal-alk solutions are preferred in addition to kalkwasser for long term benefits. Do I have that right?
Depends on consumption, length of time in conjunction with consumption.

Adamwheel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled a hole in the side of my house and ran braided tubing to my skimmer intake. Aquarium runs a little warmer this time of year but peace of mind with perfect Ph is worth the work.
I remember having people over and seeing the Ph in basement go as low as 7.45.
It will work if you do it.
Cheers,
Adam

OP
OP
Fafaflunky

Fafaflunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your slide? Been running Seneye for a year, never encountered a reading like yours yet.

Slide is about 3 months old. I'm thinking it needs to be replaced, so I ordered new ones. But from what everyone is saying I probably don't need to worry about it. I was just concerned because I want to start adding corals to my tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back