How is everyone building a stand so cheap?

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to build a typical 2x4 stand for my 40B; nothing super fancy. 1/2" plywood top, sides and sump floor. Two panel doors, some 1x4 trim on the front with some basic decorative trim at the base and under the top. I have all the tools.

I went to Lowe's to price up material and by the time I add in some paint I'm over $200. Man I thought people said it's way cheaper to make your own. How do you do it? How much did you spend?

stand cost.JPG

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds about right... my stand for a 75g and extra cabinet on side, plus trim, primer, paint, caulking, hardware, etc... is around $400. But it is built sturdy and to my specs... the stands you buy from a LFS or elsewhere will still be expensive and usually poorly made! I'm finding that nothing is cheap in this hobby! Pic is the stand I just completed...doors are done, but just not installed yet!
20170717_134358.jpg

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, just use 3/4" plywood without the 2x4s... that would be plenty for a 40breeder for strength. This also gives you more room under the stand since those 2x4s aren't taking up space. Check out @cromag08 build threads...I believe he is a big proponent of only using plywood and has some nice pics of bigger stands he built that are holding up very well.

Killer Karma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt this has happened to many people, however when I moved out of my last house after having a tank set up for several years my wood stand was on the verge of collapse due to the salt water slowly eating away the wood. The floor wasn't completely level so any water that ran down the side of the tank ended up eventually finding its way to one side. Now I have an aluminum stand I had welded together which funny enough actually cost me less than a wood stand. I would check some aluminum welders and see what they quote but for me it was cheap and I just added panels to the outside on little aluminum tabs they welded into the corners. This stand is rot proof, rust proof, and could support a truck.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt this has happened to many people, however when I moved out of my last house after having a tank set up for several years my wood stand was on the verge of collapse due to the salt water slowly eating away the wood. The floor wasn't completely level so any water that ran down the side of the tank ended up eventually finding its way to one side. Now I have an aluminum stand I had welded together which funny enough actually cost me less than a wood stand. I would check some aluminum welders and see what they quote but for me it was cheap and I just added panels to the outside on little aluminum tabs they welded into the corners. This stand is rot proof, rust proof, and could support a truck.

Shoot, that's awesome too get aluminum at such a good price! I'm looking at building an aluminum bracket (80/20 brackets) to hold my hanging lights and it's a bit pricey!

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not say cheap but cheaper than the $1400 quoted to my by the aquarium builder for a powder coated stand. The aluminum fit my needs of having a large sump and when I am ready to upgrade to a 200 gallon I can upgrade it for less than $100. Since my dimensions are custom I couldnt just order the parts. If you have a standard tank you can get standard size ( 12" 24", 36" etc! )

T-slot kit - $450
Plywood - $30
Paint - $10
MDF Board - $40
Hinges - $15
Door pulls - $50

Total: $595

20170413_023459.jpg

20170602_031100(0).jpg

20170605_103400.jpg

OP
OP
timrocks311

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, just use 3/4" plywood without the 2x4s... that would be plenty for a 40breeder for strength. This also gives you more room under the stand since those 2x4s aren't taking up space. Check out @cromag08 build threads...I believe he is a big proponent of only using plywood and has some nice pics of bigger stands he built that are holding up very well.

Thanks. I checked out his threads and see what he's doing with just plywood. I think my problem is I want to oversize the stand, so the tank would not sit on the plywood ends. I need a frame to support the tank in the middle of the stand. Cutting out some 2x4s won't make or break me, so I might as well stick with them.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm nearly a grand into this one, and still have 4 oak faced, glass shelved bookshelf units to build, probably another two hundred bucks for each.

FTS-InitialRockscape.jpg

This is a hobby. As with any hobby, you can spend as much, or as little, as you want. I used to have a 50g tank on an open 2x4 stand, skirted with a length of black canvas stapled around the top edge. Probably had thirty bucks in the stand. It worked. Would I want that in my living room now? Nope.

Last edited:

Vincent cimmino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a custom.cabinet maker, and unfortunately it's cheaper to buy it. Good materials are very expensive now and large manufacturers are all assembly lines and machines making it so it's cheaper than human craftsmanship these days. It's a shame, but the quality still be better if you do it yourself, I always use 3/4" ply rather than half inch , most large companies skimp as much on material as possible to get to those cheap prices.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I checked out his threads and see what he's doing with just plywood. I think my problem is I want to oversize the stand, so the tank would not sit on the plywood ends. I need a frame to support the tank in the middle of the stand. Cutting out some 2x4s won't make or break me, so I might as well stick with them.

My last tank was a 24" cube. Stand was 8" wider all the way around the tank. I had a 3" tall 2 1/4" wide plywood 'beam' across the center of the top, fully supported at the edges, to support the weight and keep the plywood top from flexing.

BraceDetail.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back