How is this for plumbing?

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my rough dry fit. Any advice for the layout? I’m going to have a refugium, UV and probably KW reactor so I split off a single manifold via the one valve underneath. Not sure a better way to do with the space I have. Anyway thanks in advance
IMG_2843.jpeg
IMG_2839.jpeg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks! Well.. I am a student of OMFGWJH HELP! school of what ifs ;)
Yeah, my first couple plumbing jobs I put valves on all the drains.
After a while I realized I never used those valves.

Rozier123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you preventing a siphon overflow from the return line when the pumps are off? The return bulkhead seems to be low. A flow valve may be an option.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you preventing a siphon overflow from the return line when the pumps are off? The return bulkhead seems to be low. A flow valve may be an option.
The outlets are near water level and above the weir. Secondary my sump is big enough to handle the pump being off with a few inches to spare (without any rock in the tank).

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s talk about all the elbows. Two 45s do NOT work better than one 90. And if all that is dry fit, when you glue, you’re likely to have issues as the pipes will seat deeper in the sockets.
I was told to never use a 90 because they restrict flow significantly, thats why I used all the 45s. It would be much cleaner with 90s but I didnt want to restrict my pump even further.

This data is backed up by this research paper:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to never use a 90 because they restrict flow significantly, thats why I used all the 45s. It would be much cleaner with 90s but I didnt want to restrict my pump even further.

This data is backed up by this research paper:

Where does that paper show 90 vs 45? I just skimmed it but it looks like it was looking at bend radius.

If you look up equivalent length for pvc fitting you can see the two 45s is about the same as one 90.

1706442444209.png

You might need to trim your full siphon line some. It does not need to be that deep in the sump. It might have trouble clearing all the air out at start up.

I would also add some supports to the two drain lines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does that paper show 90 vs 45? I just skimmed it but it looks like it was looking at bend radius.

If you look up equivalent length for pvc fitting you can see the two 45s is about the same as one 90.

1706442444209.png

You might need to trim your full siphon line some. It does not need to be that deep in the sump. It might have trouble clearing all the air out at start up.

I would also add some supports to the two drain lines.
About the radius, I watched about 985 of the 35000 BRS videos (trying to catch them all) and in every one regarding plumbing they mention to never use a 90. Then looking outside of that is where I found that paper that confirms it. You CAN use a 90 but it restricts flow. Due to design/purchasing issues I went with 3/4 pipe and that in itself restricts flow, adding 90s on top will only further the flow issues.

The full siphon line is way too long I am just dry fitting so the plan was to trim it once its all glued up, likewise, everything will be supported with brackets afterwards. Thanks!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the results of BRS test

1706445217426.png
Take what brs says with a grain of salt. I'm not a brs hater. I actually like a lot of their content and buy from them a lot. some of those numbers dont look right though like the sicce 3.5 how does flow increase over output with the supposed higher restriction and over all decrease much less then the other pumps? Head pressure maybe but......

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take what brs says with a grain of salt. I'm not a brs hater. I actually like a lot of their content and buy from them a lot. some of those numbers dont look right though like the sicce 3.5 how does flow increase over output with the supposed higher restriction and over all decrease much less then the other pumps? Head pressure maybe but......

Have no idea on the 3.5 but the results of the flow being basically equal between 45 vs 90 is what you would expect based on industry standard equivalent flow charts.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have no idea on the 3.5 but the results of the flow being basically equal between 45 vs 90 is what you would expect based on industry standard equivalent flow charts.
Oh I agree. I mean yeah there is a bigger loss on 90 but is anyone going to notice that small amount. Imo its not worth worrying about to the point some do.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of their results are within the margin of error of their flow measurement device. The real take away here is that three of the four pumps advertised a significantly higher flow rate than they actually produced...

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of their results are within the margin of error of their flow measurement device. The real take away here is that three of the four pumps advertised a significantly higher flow rate than they actually produced...
Like I said there are issues within their tests across the board. You can not reliably one and done stuff. Who knows maybe the product being tested was dropped on its head as a baby or got bitten by a radio active bristle worm and is a supe now. Again not bashing just dont always agree with all they do and they do a lot. The 3.5 jumps out to me for many reasons but I dont know all the stats of sicce pumps havent had to sell or buy that stuff in a few years.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I took everyone’s advice weighted for internet points and feasibility. Here is the new configuration. I added in that expensive one way ball check valve and removed the manifold. I’ve decided when I need UV I’ll just use a separate pump my Apex can control.
IMG_2844.jpeg
IMG_2846.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2847.jpeg
    IMG_2847.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 15

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back