How long to test reseal and plumbing

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently resealed and plumbed a used tank.

After reseal it sat for 2 weeks. Then I started to plumbe the overflows and the return. Those sat for 48 hours.

I have had tap water running for almost 48 hours.

Is there a specific amount t of time to have water running to test for leaks. Or am I good to scape and fill with salt water now?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain it and then add saltwater and you should be fine.
Good job, btw! No leaks is fantastic!
Chuck Grassley Leaks GIF by GIPHY News

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I used to build tanks and I have resealed a few and it is hard work to do but it feels great when you’re finished and dry!

Silicone is safe in 48 hours but it keeps getting “stronger” over time. 2 weeks is amazing patience. Once filled, if it doesn’t leak the test is usually over. You should be golden at this point.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I recently resealed and plumbed a used tank.

After reseal it sat for 2 weeks. Then I started to plumbe the overflows and the return. Those sat for 48 hours.

I have had tap water running for almost 48 hours.

Is there a specific amount t of time to have water running to test for leaks. Or am I good to scape and fill with salt water now?
Did it leak before you resealed it?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No, but I wasn’t sure how it was stored when I bought it used. And the bottom silicone, was discolored and looked shrunk and thin in spots. So I made the decision to reseal it for piece of mind.
I get it. I've bought several tanks that had the inner seal beat up and reapplied silicone to clean it up.

lilpew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to build tanks and I have resealed a few and it is hard work to do but it feels great when you’re finished and dry!

Silicone is safe in 48 hours but it keeps getting “stronger” over time. 2 weeks is amazing patience. Once filled, if it doesn’t leak the test is usually over. You should be golden at this point.
I also just resealed a tank. In your experience, if there is a leak in the tank, will it happen within a one week leak test?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just resealed a tank. In your experience, if there is a leak in the tank, will it happen within a one week leak test?
I got lucky and never had a leak but I did pop a central brace, maybe a month after I filled that tank.

If you totally disassembled the tank and it has not leaked after a week I think you should be fine. Leak test is for gaps in the seal which will leak right away. If it’s still holding after a week, check the seams for any signs that it is separating ( bubbles appearing in the seams that were not there before).

The reason I started using acrylic was that the tank was light and easy to lift and move and they don’t have seams with silicone to worry about. Glass is good but if you can’t sleep for the seams then you should try acrylic, ime.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had a 240 that leaked from the bottom. I offered to give away if the person took it apart and resealed it completely from scratch.
They said that was the plan.
But people on Facebook told her all you had to do was just peel out the inner seal and put all new down, making sure the inner seal was complete.
About 4 months later I got a call from her at 6 in the morning. She said she saw a little water on the floor at midnight, and got up early to check it and there was a 4" wide slit that was pouring out water.
Alot of corals and a few fish were lost that week.
So, it can happen at any time.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 240 that leaked from the bottom. I offered to give away if the person took it apart and resealed it completely from scratch.
They said that was the plan.
But people on Facebook told her all you had to do was just peel out the inner seal and put all new down, making sure the inner seal was complete.
About 4 months later I got a call from her at 6 in the morning. She said she saw a little water on the floor at midnight, and got up early to check it and there was a 4" wide slit that was pouring out water.
Alot of corals and a few fish were lost that week.
So, it can happen at any time.
I keep seeing local advertisements for glass tanks for free or cheap, with many of those tanks being made by a big name brand that has had a lot of seam failures reported on here. I wish I had the time and energy to pull them completely apart and reseal them fully but that’s a lot of work to do and time that I don’t have.

Somebody else should start a business doing reseal work. It’s gratifying to reseal a tank and save a pile of money recycling aquariums

lilpew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing local advertisements for glass tanks for free or cheap, with many of those tanks being made by a big name brand that has had a lot of seam failures reported on here. I wish I had the time and energy to pull them completely apart and reseal them fully but that’s a lot of work to do and time that I don’t have.

Somebody else should start a business doing reseal work. It’s gratifying to reseal a tank and save a pile of money recycling aquariums
I agree. I think somebody would make some decent money doing resealing. Before I did mine myself, I called every fish store within a 3 hour radius and nobody knew of a company or person to do resealing.
Im filling my tank up for a leak check today! I hope everything ends up holding!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back