How much Aluminum will it leach? Let's guess

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing I could do is add some bacteria and see if I get the same results. I have several bottles of bacteria in a bottle I bought to see what was in them seen here:
Starting at post 179
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/our-tanks-biology-up-close.239838/page-9

Since I will be adding it directly I should see the drop fairly quickly and not over night like with the marine pure events seen in the above chart. I would use the EcoBalance as thats the one I saw the most active and live bacteria in.

Randy's tests with Aluminum showed an immediate drop in ph and a slow rise over a period of a few hours. Your observations appear different. Still don't see how it could be bacteria though! ;)

What did you do with the block while it was out of water? How long was it out of the water? Did you rinse with tank water before you put it back in?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy's tests with Aluminum showed an immediate drop in ph and a slow rise over a period of a few hours. Your observations appear different. Still don't see how it could be bacteria though! ;)

What did you do with the block while it was out of water? How long was it out of the water? Did you rinse with tank water before you put it back in?

Previous post from when I transferred it over

2a. It drained out a LOT of water when I took it out to transfer sumps. And I gave it a quick swish in saltwater again and let it drain again before adding to the new sump.

I did the swishing and draining in the sump I pulled it out from. It was out of the water long enough for me to make around 10 steps and lots of swearing because it was still dripping like crazy.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the entire media is Al based I would assume it will leach until it's fully dissolved. Many have noted it gets softer as it ages.
Mine has been in the sump more than 2 years and feels about the same. As far as leaching, I have a result of 85 ug/l and its pretty much stayed that way with no water changes for almost 2 years now so I assume it has stopped leaching.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been in the sump more than 2 years and feels about the same. As far as leaching, I have a result of 85 ug/l and its pretty much stayed that way with no water changes for almost 2 years now so I assume it has stopped leaching.

Yes, some have reported that too. Lots of different posts out there on it.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Previous post from when I transferred it over

2a. It drained out a LOT of water when I took it out to transfer sumps. And I gave it a quick swish in saltwater again and let it drain again before adding to the new sump.

I did the swishing and draining in the sump I pulled it out from. It was out of the water long enough for me to make around 10 steps and lots of swearing because it was still dripping like crazy.

Taking the block out of the water, letting it drain, then swishing it with saltwater would not kill or removed a significant number of bacteria. Biofilm is very resilient.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the block out of the water, letting it drain, then swishing it with saltwater would not kill or removed a significant number of bacteria. Biofilm is very resilient.

Yes, but its still my theory ;)

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just added 10 caps of the Eco balance not 5 minutes ago

9441d3c216c07043524db19d03901cc6.jpg

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting. I wonder what's the media in the bottle? Let us know how long the pH stays down.

Still not the same as adding block of ceramic! :D:D

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder what's the media in the bottle? Let us know how long the pH stays down.

Still not the same as adding block of ceramic! :D:D

It was full if coccus type of bacteria. You can see pics and video of it in that our tanks biology up close thread I linked to above.

It does show that a quick increase of bacteria will effect pH very quickly. As the bacteria will increase the CO2 levels.

This was a very quick addition tonight so there was an instant pH drop. With the ceramic media this happened over night and quick enough to drop the pH quickly but not instantly. At least thats what I believe happened twice.

Last edited:

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What I'm thinking.

I believe bacteria grew with in the block very rapidly and by quite a lot as indicated by the sudden pH drop after placing it in the sump. The bacteria that would have occupied the block should be facultative anaerobes as I believe it was most likely mainly driven by my carbon dosing. This means they can switch between being aerobic and anaerobic as needed so they would be very efficient at reducing Nitrates.

But, if they are in there not getting exported or being re-consumed slower then they die off before they have a chance of denitrification would release back Nitrates. Which is where that nitrate factory comes in. No real idea though on this last part. I don't believe this last part is happening. Otherwise it would be happening all the time in my live rock.
Maybe the sponge die off increased n03?
Thanks for sharing by the way, this should give some security to others

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll dose some limewater now. lol

Maybe I shouldn't have dosed that right behind the block. :eek:

1ccf02f1489f34f266061d96186c75f4.jpg

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that was a temporary bottoming out. Quick enough fusion only registered 7.79 as the lowest

f1e19eb984811a5c4d31bb21725f0a81.jpg

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was full if coccus type of bacteria. You can see pics and video of it in that our tanks biology up close thread I linked to above.

It does show that a quick increase of bacteria will effect pH very quickly. As the bacteria will increase the CO2 levels.

This was a very quick addition tonight so there was an instant pH drop. With the ceramic media this happened over night and quick enough to drop the pH quickly but not instantly. At least thats what I believe happened twice.
It has more than just bacteria and water in it doesn't it? Something to stabilize the bacteria?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has more than just bacteria and water in it doesn't it? Something to stabilize the bacteria?

Nothing that would drop the pH of the entire tank (~200 gallon total) that much that fast like some kind of acid with out killing the microbes.

I stuck a pH probe in the bottle and its reading 7.75.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I probably missed this but how much water volume?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably missed this but how much water volume?
About 250 total water volume Jason.

Here's my tank with the two marine pure blocks in the sump and my elevated 86 ug/l aluminum concentration. I don't have any leathers to test the theory of their irritation to the product though.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back