How much Aluminum will it leach? Let's guess

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run Marine Pure spheres in my sump for about 1 year with little adverse effect to my mixed reef.... even to my softies. Still, why not make a media out of something like pure ceramics. This may be a crazy question; however, I was thinking about making a lightweight homemade reef rock with this stuff mixed within to give the appearance of Fiji rock and for extra bacteria:

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...oXTfe0A3m-LysP3XdiD06G3IEvSKDrYSGMaAmWz8P8HAQ

Is fired clay bad for a reef tank? I have seen breeders of berghai use fired clay pottery in tanks with no adverse effects.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone see that Brightwell is coming out next month with a competitor product. It also comes impregnated with sulphur or GFO.

I don't like that idea at all. Sounds like a way to get people to spend more money. The MarinePure can stay in your tank indefinitely as long as it holds together. Those would exhaust themselves and need replaced to achieve their stated goal.

Edit: and to add the GFO in some tanks can be exhausted very quickly.

Last edited:

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like that idea at all. Sounds like a way to get people to spend more money. The MarinePure can stay in your tank indefinitely as long as it holds together. Those would exhaust themselves and need replaced to achieve their stated goal.

I have a large block in my tank now for over a year. I use it under my skimmer and its still holding up.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large block in my tank now for over a year. I use it under my skimmer and its still holding up.

That's good to know. But there have been others that have also posted that the media has deteriorated in their setup. I can see why as well if the media is broken, cut, chipped, or cracked at any point it erodes very easily. Mine came with a corner chipped off. It brushes off very easily.

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: and to add the GFO in some tanks can be exhausted very quickly.

Yea I was thinking about that as well when I was watching a video on the new product. I would think the GFO products would need to be replaced frequently for some tanks. I would also be worried that it might leach phosphates back into the tank if it was not replaced. A novel concept but I am not sure about the execution of it. However the media itself, without the additives, might be a worthy competitor to MarinePure.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be thinking about this wrong but it sounds to me like there is something wrong with that poly filter pad. If it has been in a tank over a month it would have absorbed something, actually anything and would have changed color to something other than white. If it hasn't changed color something is wrong with that specific piece of pad or you have the absolute cleanest tank water possible.

I mean, it hasn't changed color to red or any of the color they claim in instructions. It goes without saying, it is brownish due to detritus and organics.

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok gotcha. It could be that the levels of non organics that are being pulled out are so minute that the color change is not big enough to over come the organics that are trapped in it. I am not a poly pad expert by any means but if you take a very little but if red paint and dump a whole bunch of brown paint on top it's still gonna look brown. Which could be what is going on in your tank. Again I am not familiar with poly pads at all but it is probably something to keep in mind when looking for a specific color change.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess I can say I'm testing the polyfilter's ability right now. I filled a 5g bucket with rodi, placed in a maxijet 1200, a marine pure lage block, and a polyfilter in front of the pump then placed a lid over top. I started this June 18th. I'm letting it run like this for a full month.

So far, zero color change from white.

cd084bd9836999cf1b9346e5d842b74c.jpg

d18666c5e3797646ae59e49f2d547922.jpg

042e4be37991680314127b516ac3dfc6.jpg

6b88ae56b3113a1d83a9fa6bbc9656c7.jpg

This will also answer someone's question on if we let the block soak longer if it would have the same effect on the leather. 13 more days.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after 30 days there has been 0 change in color with the polyfilter. Either the polyfilter doesn't pick up the form of Al leached or the polyfilter isn't sensitive enough to pick up the amount leached.

It actually looks cleaner...lol
9091599bbdaf9e6a61c1f835770f60d7.jpg

Block is in the sump now after a month long soaking and several rinsings.
8d6c453352145ccd0e78511a0a6298f3.jpg

And as you can see its directly under some flow. Now to test for erosion. [emoji4]

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my fiji yellow leather hates me
d652a23ff0b41bfe04af033a01a4ea5b.jpg

148dd67fb77ca4b4a4524f8bc9d48697.jpg

My anecdotal reasoning says my yellow fiji leather is not happy with these blocks. Ha!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ongoing updates!

I'm still not convinced the polyfilter will be red with aluminum in seawater. Most aluminum salts are not colored, and even if they are correct about aluminum in freshwater on the polyfilter (which I am also skeptical of), it may not be the same in seawater where the ion binding to aluminum is different.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I don't believe I've seen anyone report a successful color change for Al with the polyfilter.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And last night the same pH drop more then normal after adding a block which is still my belief its bacterial growth driven.

9bda3025fb858fa63afacfdfe8b101de.jpg

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running one of the 8"x8"x4" blocks in the sump of my 93 cube since day one and going on a year now.
Considering removing for various reasons. Any problem if I just pull it out? Reason I used it is I only have about 60 lbs of rock in the tank.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running one of the 8"x8"x4" blocks in the sump of my 93 cube since day one and going on a year now.
Considering removing for various reasons. Any problem if I just pull it out? Reason I used it is I only have about 60 lbs of rock in the tank.

Any issues you feel are coming from having the block in your sump?

Any time you remove a medium that's housing a large population of your biological filter it's suggested to go slow or have something in place before hand that can take over.

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blocks work a little too well. I have been having to dose sodium nitrate in order to keep them at about 2 ppm.

I have also had a persistent bacterial bloom in my tank ( white slime that grows in the sump, especially in the section with the block) Wondering if it could be related to that issue?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blocks work a little too well. I have been having to dose sodium nitrate in order to keep them at about 2 ppm.

I have also had a persistent bacterial bloom in my tank ( white slime that grows in the sump, especially in the section with the block) Wondering if it could be related to that issue?

Are you dosing any kind of carbon source? Nopox? Vinegar? Vodka? Aminos? etc.

Personally I just feed more.

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not dosing any carbon source but the bacteria is the type you would get from overdosing vodka, vinegar etc. I had been dosing Amino acids but stopped a couple of weeks ago. The bacterial growth lessened but did not go away.

This bacteria has been very persistent and I have been unable to identify the cause. I sent @twilliard a sample of it and he is not familiar with this strain.

I am not saying the block is causing it , I'm basically grasping at straws trying to find a cause.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back