OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Randy doesn't believe that GFO actually binds aluminum as Triton claims.

I have no idea. I know a water change will reduce it. Assuming the new water doesn't contain as much Al. :)

And very nice looking tank.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. I know a water change will reduce it. Assuming the new water doesn't contain as much Al. :)

And very nice looking tank.
Yeah, I actually thought originally that Randy had said that GFO binds aluminum so I passed it around as gospel and then when he corrected me, it blew my mind. [emoji4]

Thanks, there's always another project on that tank. I have a disease!

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 250 total water volume Jason.

Here's my tank with the two marine pure blocks in the sump and my elevated 86 ug/l aluminum concentration. I don't have any leathers to test the theory of their irritation to the product though.

That is one good looking reef you have there.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Here's my tank with the two marine pure blocks in the sump and my elevated 86 ug/l aluminum concentration. I don't have any leathers to test the theory of their irritation to the product though.

Outstanding reef!
That's all the proof I need that whatever form aluminum is released by the blocks does not harm the species of animals you keep! I'd love to see you drop in a healthy leather coral and see how it does. (But where would you put it and not mess up that gorgeous aquascape!?! lol)

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding reef!
That's all the proof I need that whatever form aluminum is released by the blocks does not harm the species of animals you keep! I'd love to see you drop in a healthy leather coral and see how it does. (But where would you put it and not mess up that gorgeous aquascape!?! lol)
Thanks! Knowing my luck, the leather will die and start a chemical warfare that wipes out my tank! [emoji15]

jedimaster1138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Outstanding. Gorgeous. Other superlatives I can't think of right now. :) That Setosa colony!

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder what's the media in the bottle? Let us know how long the pH stays down.

Still not the same as adding block of ceramic! :D:D

It was full if coccus type of bacteria. You can see pics and video of it in that our tanks biology up close thread I linked to above.

It does show that a quick increase of bacteria will effect pH very quickly. As the bacteria will increase the CO2 levels.

This was a very quick addition tonight so there was an instant pH drop. With the ceramic media this happened over night and quick enough to drop the pH quickly but not instantly. At least thats what I believe happened twice.

pH trending all back to normal. Looks like it normalized overnight as it didn't dip any lower for the nightly lows. Pretty much the same experience as what I believe to be a quick increase of bacteria growing in the marinepure.

That last quick dip there is when I pulled out the probe to test the eco balance bottle this morning

60d8d9b90777e33d20824b650aa04b88.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I am not 100% for or against this product at all. I've gotten PM's not just on this forum that I'm against Marine Pure blocks and attacking them. I have 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 financial gain in this. Only loss. Again, I have NOTHING to gain doing this and I have NOTHING against this product other then the Manufacturer making the claim that it doesn't leach anything at all which I certainly believe it does. I don't like dishonest marketing which makes it hard to believe any marketing from any manufacturer.

My stance on it is this, which I also posted earlier in another thread.

Yes, I believe the media does leach Al. I don't know what form it's in. It doesn't seem to effect most inhabitants but the possibility is there.

I do believe it is an EXCELLENT media for growing bacteria. That is a good thing. I do believe my Yellow Fiji Leather is effected by it which isn't a good thing.

Edit: I guess getting over 16k views I'm bound to upset someone. People get very passionate about certain products for some reason.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I actually thought originally that Randy had said that GFO binds aluminum so I passed it around as gospel and then when he corrected me, it blew my mind. [emoji4]

Thanks, there's always another project on that tank. I have a disease!

FWIW, I think it may have been Ehsan of Triton that suggested that. I do not know if it is true or not. :)

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, You did a great work, this media is by far the best one I have try and I have seen complete corals nurseries with mp as only media, no live rock. And I have seen sarcos and sinularias in perfect shape with mp. Love the block. One block is more or less 80 pounds of porous live rock, so in the meantime it cycle, it will afect the parameters for sure (ph among them)
Not a big fan on soft corals, but here is my tank 4 month old with 3 mp blocks

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the biohome in my fresh water tank and loved it. I was a idiot when I sold my canister filters along with the biohome. Now I need to buy more. Fantastic stuff

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the biohome in my fresh water tank and loved it. I was a idiot when I sold my canister filters along with the biohome. Now I need to buy more. Fantastic stuff

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out of town with bad wifi sorry about the duplicate post I don't know how o delete

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another good hypothesis on the nitrate rising from someone that has researched bacteria in the aquarium quite a bit

tmz;24575316 said:
Jason2459,

The nitrate increase is interesting and counterintuitive given the addition of what is supposed to be more hypoxic surface area. Maybe it's coincidence but maybe some washout in nitrosomonas and/or nitrobacter is occurring from the carbon dosing with the heterotrophs outcomepeting them renedering those extra zones ineffective.

CmacLD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good read! great write up! thanks for putting the time into this!

I also have experienced elevated levels of AI after utilizing MP.
I don't have any soft corals in my tank, just lps/sps (well i guess i have a small colony of ricordia).
I also have seen no adverse effects to any of my corals.

My first triton test was performed in sept 2015.
Al was tested at 0.00
I just received my latest test back yesterday (june 2016).
Al was tested at 52.58

In late Feb early March i introduced a single 8x4x4 MP block into my sump (100g total system). This is the only thing that i can attribute to the rise.
I also do a 1% daily water change, skim heavily, GFO (changed monthly), ROX carbon (changed monthly) and dose MB7 daily (x4 drops).
I will say i am a big fan of the product so far, until i see reason not to be, guess time will tell.
I will be very interested to see where my Al level is upon my next test, which i was planning on doing in 6 months. I may push that to 3 months now just to see.

sorry all i have is a phone FTS pic at the moment as I'm traveling.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polyfilter people say yes and red. I don't know what forms that means, however, or whether it applies to seawater.
I recently run a Triton test, which detected of Aluminum in my tank(132ug/l), soon after I added a pad of poly-filter, which is sitting there for over a month and hasn't changed color.
I can't tell if it is absorbing aluminum, but it doesn't change color as claimed.

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently run a Triton test, which detected of Aluminum in my tank(132ug/l), soon after I added a pad of poly-filter, which is sitting there for over a month and hasn't changed color.
I can't tell if it is absorbing aluminum, but it doesn't change color as claimed.

I could be thinking about this wrong but it sounds to me like there is something wrong with that poly filter pad. If it has been in a tank over a month it would have absorbed something, actually anything and would have changed color to something other than white. If it hasn't changed color something is wrong with that specific piece of pad or you have the absolute cleanest tank water possible.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it should at least be brown. That said I don't know how effective the polyfilter pads are at picking up Al. They state that their pads will NOT take up 100% of metals as they are pre-set to not take metals down to 0ppm. The levels being detected and reported so far may be under that threshold. Or the polyfilters do not absorb Al or the forms of Al that is leached by the MarinePure media. I do know that the polyfilter pads will take up copper and change colors as I've done that in the past. I have not seen color indication for Al yet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back