How often do you Mag Float clean your glass?

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never, because my magfloat scratched my glass, so I turned it into to a frag rack:p I switched to the tunze care after and probably use it once or twice a week.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I used mine to make a frag rack too.... Well for one of them anyways.

To be honest my glass remains surprising clean. I haven't scraped it in a few months.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week only because I was dosing a bit to much nopox and I was getting white film on the glass, I've cut the dosage so hopefully it will be fortnightly or maybe hardly ever as I don't get algae on the glass

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never, because my magfloat scratched my glass, so I turned it into to a frag rack:p I switched to the tunze care after and probably use it once or twice a week.
I use the two little fishes :) but its still technically a mag cleaner lol

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. definitely not the beginnings of Coralline growth [emoji6]
lol its just green dots that dont come off with the magnet cleaner like the film does. I take a razor to it once a week and its back to normal :D

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol its just green dots that dont come off with the magnet cleaner like the film does. I take a razor to it once a week and its back to normal :D
This thing will scrape anything off

jason2459;24825460 said:
I got a new favorite scraper and really only for glass tanks. I've been a big fan of the Tunze care magnet but the inside doesn't float so I had to rig up the bobber to easily retrieve it. Also the blades dull quickly which they aren't sharp in the first place and 3 blades are like $9. So, I end up getting some build up on the glass the tunze can't get so I go in with a razor.

I found the answer. The algae free easy blade attachment. It's basically what PaulB came up with and shown in his book that uses razors epoxied to a mag float.

This uses a wider blade and you just glue it to a mag float of some kind.

deff141c777063ac641dbb3dd2e8e918.jpg

4fcac0e016884c30bb868c6ca6b79995.jpg

9a50667b504fcf00af02d98b8add14b1.jpg

Seems like its been around a while but harder to find. Algae Free I'm sure would rather you purchase their newer plus mag models. Which already has a blade attachment which are like the tunze's and aren't sharp either. Plus their replacement blades are like $10 for only 2.

The easy blade replacements can be found for like $8 for 10 of them and they are actual blades.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyday. My phosphates were 0.02 and Nitrates were at 4 last time I measured. I swear it seemed like I had to clean my glass less when my phosphates were at 0.2 and Nitrates were at 40...

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing will scrape anything off
Thanks for the post-I use a razor blade attached to a small dowel. I only have an inch or so between some rock work and glass.
I appreciate it though :)

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the hard to remove green film sometimes. They do start as dots, but I've got areas near the sand that never transition to coralline algae, so I'm sure it's not that. Eventually I'll get a razor in there, but the metal part of the mag float can't get it off.

I'm usually 2-3 days, but I've been bringing my nitrates up from zero, keeping phosphates less and the Chaeto is growing phenomenal, so it's now been every 3-4 days now, and I expect it to only get better once I reach some stability.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah good to hear all this from everyone .. seems mine fluctuates at times, often I clean it everyday, then I will go 3 or 4 days without much cleaning required. But as @Randy Holmes-Farley stated, sounds as if it is NOT just phosphates but also other nutrients in general. So one would think that may nutrient levels may just be at varying levels at different times.

Delta1389

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine every few days, maybe twice a week. It's not a brown/green algae film like I'm used to though. It's white little specks.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 8 weeks into a restart of one of my tanks
Running Zeovit for now. Phosphate 0 and Nitrate 2. I am now cleaning a powdery green algae twice a day! Have cut back on the Zeo supplements a bit but not sure why this is so persistent. I am going to start some vibrant this evening as I had great success with hairalgae in my 36.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green dots will grow and turn pink if you don't scrape them off

Travous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hexagon tank no fug just canisters an clean once every two weeks

Magem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 2/3 days but I should do it every day for keeping it really clean... my phosphates are over 0,01 and nitrates over 0,5...
In my case I think it is also due to my lighting fixture. 10 tubes in a 28inch wide tank (3 side view) so the first and the last lamp are near the glasses...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back