How to keep wrasse off the floor

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasses usually stay towards the bottom of the tank. Never had one try to jump yet, but these will become large Wrasses (Red Coris & Formosa), not the small ones. I have a Melanarus that hasn't attempted jumping either. They all stay at mid to low level. They don't even like going to the top to get food, they wait until it sinks.

I've had 2 of the small puffers jump out of the small gap in the back of the glass top though (saddleback & fingerprint puffers). The first one did it twice in the middle of the night and I happen to be nearby. He jumped out and landed on top of the glass on his first attempt. The third time killed him because I didn't find him till the next day. He was one of my starting crew also.

KirtiS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using 1/8 netting from BRS as well. But somehow a bar goby and diamond gobi still jumped through it. I still recommend the netting.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trick to keeping them off the floor is to keep them happy :) Only times I've had fish jump was when they were being harassed by something or had ich (disease, infection, etc.).

Actually "happy" wrasses jump higher, especially when they are spawning because they get all excited and google eyed which makes them jump for joy. :p
They chase each other and if they are in great shape with eggs, they chase other fish away.
They are not jumping to get out. Just because of happiness. :D
Many fish jump when they are spawning even mandarins and they swim as well as bricks :rolleyes:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually "happy" wrasses jump higher, especially when they are spawning because they get all excited and google eyed which makes them jump for joy. :p
They chase each other and if they are in great shape with eggs, they chase other fish away.
They are not jumping to get out. Just because of happiness. :D
Many fish jump when they are spawning even mandarins and they swim as well as bricks :rolleyes:
This 100%.

flowerqueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a sad day for me. I went to the basement to feed my QT to find my X-mas wrasse dried up on the floor. Apparently ich is nothing compared to jumping ability. Egg crate did not stop my little buddy. I have been using egg crate on the DT and was planning on going with the BRS netting. Will this be enough to keep a wrasse in the tank.
When you say egg crate did you mean the plastic for florescent lighting!! I'm using it but searching for something new!!! I just lost my ruby head wrasse!!!! Only had him for 2 weeks! Ugh!!!!

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with netting, or some sort of tight fitting lid. I too, am sorry for your loss.

Wrasse love to become potato chip-like additions behind the tank, so you need to cover the tanks. Anything too hard can cause spinal damage if a spooked wrasse jumps and hits the top too hard-- common particularly in larger fairy wrasse. The netting is a bit more gentle.

"Potato chip-like additions," I'm trying really hard not to laugh because this isn't a funny topic...thx a lot 4FF (not lol-ing, really, ok maybe a grin).

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170812_210133.jpg
1/8" netting zip tied to egg crate that is cut to fit snugly around my plumbing and cords

geniusgio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black bridal tulle is what I use, found netting to be a bit distracting with light glistening off of it.

In the process of using the same ( black tulle )

In your experience, how has it been working out for you?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of using the same ( black tulle )

In your experience, how has it been working out for you?
I give the lids a rinse under the tap every two months or so. I have a cat and it collects more hair than anything, but salt creep can build up depending on how turbid the top of your tank water is. I like it far more than the clear mesh, though it can rip easily.

geniusgio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give the lids a rinse under the tap every two months or so. I have a cat and it collects more hair than anything, but salt creep can build up depending on how turbid the top of your tank water is. I like it far more than the clear mesh, though it can rip easily.

Does it block too much of the light ? I don’t think so, but what’s your take on it.

geniusgio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4 , thank you for the info. Going with that. I kind of hate the distractive shimmer that white / clear mesh leaves on top. Saw the YouTube video on the guy who used the tulle for his lid and got all the parts except the corners with the edge , which should be arriving on Monday.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse love to become potato chip-like additions behind the tank, so you need to cover the tanks. Anything too hard can cause spinal damage if a spooked wrasse jumps and hits the top too hard-- common particularly in larger fairy wrasse. The netting is a bit more gentle.

This. I've started putting mesh tops on my QTs as well, after losing a couple of wrasses to spinal injuries.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 106 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back