How to keep wrasse off the floor

Vu337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your netting? I was thinking the same but I think I am just going to purchase larger wrasse and hope for the best.

it wasn't the size netting, i was working on the tank or feeding it. I have alot of wrasse so they constant splashing water and jumping and the lid was off at those moments

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I think I am just going to purchase larger wrasse and hope for the best.
That's neither a robust or appropriate solution.

it wasn't the size netting, i was working on the tank or feeding it. I have alot of wrasse so they constant splashing water and jumping and the lid was off at those moments
So those that jumped out were able to put back into the tank then?
FWIW, I don't remove my tops during feeding - I simply lift up a side enough to supply food. :)

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am using the DIY screens as well, my issue is that i have an over the top return and an autofeeder, so there is necessarily some space. Not sure if this can be fixed.

Vu337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's neither a robust or appropriate solution.

So those that jumped out were able to put back into the tank then?
FWIW, I don't remove my tops during feeding - I simply lift up a side enough to supply food. :)

unfortunately it was too late, they dryed up before i realized it

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer this because the floor is where I usually find mine. Sometimes when I buy them and get them home, I gently open the plastic bag and to save time, I throw the fish on the floor. :rolleyes:

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer this because the floor is where I usually find mine. Sometimes when I buy them and get them home, I gently open the plastic bag and to save time, I throw the fish on the floor. :rolleyes:
Hahaha! :D

I don't know how to combat a jumping wrasse. My McCoskers jumped while feeding too. Even a 3 inch flap wouldn't deter it. Either way I have burrowing gobies that have to be spot fed. So, removing the screen top always has to happen. :(

Jgeebs413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am using the DIY screens as well, my issue is that i have an over the top return and an autofeeder, so there is necessarily some space. Not sure if this can be fixed.

I haven't used the hang on overflows but if you got another set of corners and leftover cuts you could definitely notch it out. Getting the spline and screen to be neat may take little extra work but would be worth it.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we tried very hard, but because we couldn't get inside out corners,it necessarily made it very unstable to cut things out too tight. This left us with some space. I am trying to figure out a way to create a netting over those openings that would still let me pipette food in.

Jgeebs413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without seeing the tank situation maybe getting some glass cut and just screens for larger square areas would be an option

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trick to keeping them off the floor is to keep them happy :) Only times I've had fish jump was when they were being harassed by something or had ich (disease, infection, etc.).

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trick to keeping them off the floor is to keep them happy
Unfortunately nature doesn't work that way. Fish can jump at any time, for many reasons. They can spook themselves via their own reflection if conditions are right.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, contact those guys at AA and pay a fortune for something you can make easily with parts from home depot for $10 or order a kit off ebay for $20...I mean, didn't he say quarantine tank? Does he really need to order a tank top from AA for a quarantine tank?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post a link to the frame that should be used with the netting
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Saint-Go...een-Frame-Piece-FSP8491-U-FSP8491-U/100397093
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Saint-Go...-Corners-4-Pack-FSP8570-U-FSP8570-U/100397096
Just go to the screen window section of home depot. Everything you need is right there.
3a4d9f174baba4467fd28d0c00c41ee3.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately nature doesn't work that way. Fish can jump at any time, for many reasons. They can spook themselves via their own reflection if conditions are right.

I'm sure they can but after a couple of decades, I've never had it happen.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they can but after a couple of decades, I've never had it happen.
Please check your lottery numbers very closely tomorrow... ;Woot

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please check your lottery numbers very closely tomorrow... ;Woot

This wasn't to imply I haven't had jumpers, just that everyone that did jump had one of the reasons I posted. I did mean to get one of those Mega Millions tickets last week...

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes any time. While feeding I will move my lid off just a corner slightly. Everyone in the tank rushes for the food and my Rhomboid got spooked jumped and landed in a potted plant. I couldn't find him for three minutes. When I did scoop him up dirt and all back in the tank he went. Hes fine now, but any time for any reason they can jump.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has an over the top return line, as well as a cord for the heater, and an arm for my kessil, so typical screen lids with metal frames won't work. Instead I got some egg crate, cut it to fit all my weird spots, and zip tied 1/8" netting to it. So I have a lot of flexibility around my cords and plumbing but no big egg crate gaps for small fish to jump through. It's not the prettiest solution but it works.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black bridal tulle is what I use, found netting to be a bit distracting with light glistening off of it.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back