How's this different than Reefcentral?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question. What forum is least tolerant of people who don’t search before asking “insert pinned topic here” question? I want to go there.

I honestly think it depends on the member who answers question. Some just direct you to another thread, others just answer your question, others answer the question and direct you to the thread for future reference.

I don’t think either really is least tolerant. Though I do remember the days of people on RC replying with “use the search function”.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think it depends on the member who answers question. Some just direct you to another thread, others just answer your question, others answer the question and direct you to the thread for future reference.

I don’t think either really is least tolerant. Though I do remember the days of people on RC replying with “use the search function”.
over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know reef central was bigger than R2R... Always thought it looked very, generic I guess? I have only been on there from google searches, so my experience with it is limited. I have had mostly good interactions on this platform, with only a few negative experiences. Overall, a good place, and I'll keep coming back. Everywhere you go there will be people that are willing to teach, and converse about their knowledge/experience. Some will always have an answer about the handy search bar that doesn't always seem to give you the answer that you're needing. Sometimes it's nice to get some verification based on your search because perhaps you have an additional or different variable. Or maybe an individual lacks the knowledge between what you're finding in the search, and the explanation that you need. You will have people here willing to answer your questions.

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came for the info, stayed for the laughs.
Chuckling Patrick Stewart GIF by Golden Globes

I also didn't realize RC is bigger. I find the website aesthetically displeasing. When I land on an RC page and am displeased, I come here to be pleased by the harmonious glory that is R2R.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know reef central was bigger than R2R... Always thought it looked very, generic I guess? I have only been on there from google searches, so my experience with it is limited. I have had mostly good interactions on this platform, with only a few negative experiences. Overall, a good place, and I'll keep coming back. Everywhere you go there will be people that are willing to teach, and converse about their knowledge/experience. Some will always have an answer about the handy search bar that doesn't always seem to give you the answer that you're needing. Sometimes it's nice to get some verification based on your search because perhaps you have an additional or different variable. Or maybe an individual lacks the knowledge between what you're finding in the search, and the explanation that you need. You will have people here willing to answer your questions.
If you think this sight is awesome, then ReefCentral circa 2008 would've blown your mind.

You just had to obey the rules or you were out!

But it was the go to sight. At the time this site was a zoa forum that eventually turned into r2r. The mass exodus here was due to the RC gestapo forcing their will onto the users.

I still have my PM from Rev inviting me over here...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think this sight is awesome, then ReefCentral circa 2008 would've blown your mind.

You just had to obey the rules or you were out!

But it was the go to sight. At the time this site was a zoa forum that eventually turned into r2r. The mass exodus here was due to the RC gestapo forcing their will onto the users.

I still have my PM from Rev inviting me over here...
I was there long before coming here but got booted because somebody asked me to make them a cone skimmer body “in a pm” and I agreed… guess they were scanning pm’s and I got booted! This was when a cone body were just coming out and you didn’t have options besides bubble king and atb… bubble Magnus was in the works at the time and I worked with victor and a couple other people on making atb skimmers and diy air star pumps which were Laguna pond pumps modified with a custom volute and a new sticker with atb or bubble king on them lol..

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was there long before coming here but got booted because somebody asked me to make them a cone skimmer body “in a pm” and I agreed… guess they were scanning pm’s and I got booted! This was when a cone body were just coming out and you didn’t have options besides bubble king and atb… bubble Magnus was in the works at the time and I worked with victor and a couple other people on making atb skimmers and diy air star pumps which were Laguna pond pumps modified with a custom volute and a new sticker with atb or bubble king on them lol..
Why was that grounds for removal?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why was that grounds for removal?
A threat to their sponsors I was told. I mean I get it but hey, if I wanted to get into the fish tank business I would have done it many years ago.. here I am 20 years later and still not doing it haha! It’s a hobby for me not a business… sure I build a tank here or there for a local but it’s always trades for fish or coral! It’s how I support my habit! Lol

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mid 2000s though Reefcentral was the place to be. The tang police did follow us over lol. One thing I wish they changed here which really reminds me of Reefcentral is the locking of vendor experience threads. Someone posts a poor experience and it gets locked.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about ReefCentral. I am not a fan of those style forums, the UI is terrible and reminds me of the 90's bulletin boards. However, I've observed posts shut down here. The last time I noticed it was related to discussing the sponsors (aka vendors). Red Sea does not appear to be one of them, however.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A threat to their sponsors I was told. I mean I get it but hey, if I wanted to get into the fish tank business I would have done it many years ago.. here I am 20 years later and still not doing it haha! It’s a hobby for me not a business… sure I build a tank here or there for a local but it’s always trades for fish or coral! It’s how I support my habit! Lol
That's silly. Making a DIY product as a personal favor shouldn't affect volume of sales from a commercial vendor, and if that were the case then the company has bigger problems. Besides, if you did pick up volume and decided to make a business out of it, you would then be a candidate as a commercial sponsor yourself! Shot themselves in the foot!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back