How's this different than Reefcentral?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about ReefCentral. I am not a fan of those style forums, the UI is terrible and reminds me of the 90's bulletin boards. However, I've observed posts shut down here. The last time I noticed it was related to discussing the sponsors (aka vendors). Red Sea does not appear to be one of them, however.
They've updated to xenforo just like any forum that wants to succeed in the modern age.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Central was the go to place years ago. I never had any issues there and my tank builds are still up there. R2R is just the newer version. The younger crowd likes the style but back in the day all forums looked like RC.
Yeah, I think it was the site I knew from when I first started my tank in 2008. There's lots of older stuff from many folks on the site but the white background and font is probably not appealing to many of the folks in darker rooms of late.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought R2R was gonna ban me too cuz two of their fish medics really didn’t like what I said & started calling me names which was uncalled for & off the topic of argument…., but I didn’t get banned here to my surprise so I like it here a lot more.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think it was the site I knew from when I first started my tank in 2008. There's lots of older stuff from many folks on the site but the white background and font is probably not appealing to many of the folks in darker rooms of late.
It's not and the forum itself was never made for mobile so when smart phones come of age and people started actually using them for web browsing in mass like we do now, RC was much more of a hassle.

RC was just replaced. That is all. The coding and the layout just didn't make it into modern times. It's not that it was a bad thing we all left. We just went to a more user friendly forum server.

The rise of Facebook killed a lot of great forums as well. The wood working and duck call forums where all the knowledge was back in the day are graveyards of old. There are almost no gaming forums anymore but back in the day that was the only way to get information for games like everquest and world of warcraft.

Again, to the younger folks. Every forum looked like Reef Central. It was just the template back then for forums. I have been out of the game so the technical terms escape me but R2R just runs on a more modern mobile friendly template.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The site still looks terrible. I know I can't be the only that gets that vibe.
Look at wet web media... the way a site looks doesn't relate to it's usefulness to the hobby.
(Not defending RC, just making a point...)

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s like comparing two grocery stores…

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet web media was my Bible for years.
Format was weird but I dealt with it.
Honestly I came to R2R couple years ago because it was so much easier for me to read on my phone.
I liked the way it was set up.
Been here ever since.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet web media was my Bible for years.
Format was weird but I dealt with it.
Honestly I came to R2R couple years ago because it was so much easier for me to read on my phone.
I liked the way it was set up.
Been here ever since.
For browsing, wwm is terrible. But I have gone there many times, especially when looking for specific info on an uncommon critter... those guys really know their stuff! (RIP Bob)

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about ReefCentral. I am not a fan of those style forums, the UI is terrible and reminds me of the 90's bulletin boards. However, I've observed posts shut down here. The last time I noticed it was related to discussing the sponsors (aka vendors). Red Sea does not appear to be one of them, however.
I've observed posts shut down here also, sometimes trivial or without explanation. Not a fan, but not my call.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000006818.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back