Huge aquarium in Germany breaks and floods

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time is now and the place is over your tank!
Believe you me I was ALL in throughout the halide/hqi saga ..
had them all from PFO, IC to hqi .. I’ll even admit I had a Hamilton at one point

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah , you are lucky .. I stay far away from fluval .. even with their newer tech. I think I suffer from ptsd from dealing w/ their canisters all those years doing service
Lucky you don't have to fight with crapchina canisters like Boyu.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang it. I think they missed the vibrant scandal and continued using it...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two thoughts:

1. Hope nobody was seriously hurt (good that it popped in the early morning).
2. Gonna need a bigger shop-vac.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad for the loss of life. Such a large install had to have a number of people looking after it, I bet they are devastated.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you wouldn't use one of those for a reef tank or recommend a Boyu for any high end tank.
Ofc not this is the cheapest stuff you could get. the place I bought it from was like a small fish store in the middle of a supermarket so no surprise it was cheap. I got two cray fish with mollies and tetras, the cray fish ate them in a matter of a week and it turned out that they weren’t cray fish, they were some sort of large fresh water lobsters. Good times.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read it from another news source as well. Such a tragic accident, but luckily no one was seriously hurt.

I was puzzled by the following statement below: "acrylic glass tank"???
"...There was speculation freezing temperatures that got down to minus 10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit) overnight caused a crack in the acrylic glass tank, which then exploded under the weight of the water."

Given the sheer volume & cylinder shape, why "GLASS"? I assume it was constructed from all acrylic? Regardless if made from 100% acrylic, I suspect the temperature difference inside vs outside of the aquarium developed crazing and the whole thing exploded? However, this massive system was inside the hotel, right? The building's heater died? I would be very interested to hear what failed...

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read it from another news source as well. Such a tragic accident, but luckily no one was seriously hurt.

I was puzzled by the following statement below: "acrylic glass tank"???
"...There was speculation freezing temperatures that got down to minus 10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit) overnight caused a crack in the acrylic glass tank, which then exploded under the weight of the water."

Given the sheer volume & cylinder shape, why "GLASS"? I assume it was constructed from all acrylic? Regardless if made from 100% acrylic, I suspect the temperature difference inside vs outside of the aquarium developed crazing and the whole thing exploded? However, this massive system was inside the hotel, right? The building's heater died? I would be very interested to hear what failed...
I have the same question. What does it matter what the outside temperature was if it was inside?

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO much fish loss, sad. Apparently they heard the initial crack and evacuated the hotel, then it let loose. I'm very puzzled by the freezing temperature statement as well, as it was inside of a hotel - i.e. how could they let it drop in temperature? But then again Europe is having gas heating issues due to supply issues with Russia, so...

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some Flex Seal

Images Repair GIF by getflexseal

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in “this world” is perfect, dang shame! We all learn from our mistakes.
that’s evolutio.

Back