Hypo or Copper?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing it

It looks like a pimple or bubble. I see it. and if I remember correctly, the last few times we've come across this it was cured with antibiotics. You'll have to correct me.. I think I'm about to hit the sack.. too tired

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3051.JPG

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, from that thread I read, seemed the fish where not killed by it directly, and if they where it took time. So finish the Copper? Then move onto another treatment?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, from that thread I read, seemed the fish where not killed by it directly, and if they where it took time. So finish the Copper? Then move onto another treatment?

I've helped others a few times with this now. Sometimes it goes away following Kanaplex + Metroplex treatment; sometimes it just goes away on its own. Once I get setup at my new location, I hope to encounter it while treating a fish with copper and get a scrape that I can scope ID. :D

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've helped others a few times with this now. Sometimes it goes away following Kanaplex + Metroplex treatment; sometimes it just goes away on its own. Once I get setup at my new location, I hope to encounter it while treating a fish with copper and get a scrape that I can scope ID. :D

Ok, what is Kanaplex? I know Metro.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the medicated food I bought?

IMG_2893.JPG

I've never had that food work for any sick fish. That's my experience. Besides the meds they have in them to treat things like ick or velvet are ingested and are much more effective when in the water since both of these parasites are only killed by CP and Copper when in the free swimming stage in the water column.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Naso seem to be breathing heavily what does that mean, could this be normal? I've seen him eat some.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Naso seem to be breathing heavily what does that mean, could this be normal? I've seen him eat some.

Heavy breathing is not normal behavior assuming he was just in a chase with another fish. It typically means there is something in his gills causing him trouble breathing. A freshwater dip can flush out any excess buildup of mucus in the gills and help him breath easier. It can also tell you if flukes are the problem or if it's something else. It's also important to note that fish will breath heavily if there's ammonia present or a lack of O2.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running an air stone and my Fluva 406 canister filter is well cycled. I noticed this funding feeding so maybeis just from swimming around finding food.

How do I perform a FW dip? So flukes will come off in the dip and I look for them in the bucket after the dip?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

These are pictures I took during a FW dip. This is what you should see if flukes are present.
1459813172723-jpg.336938

1459813183075-jpg.336939

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

These are pictures I took during a FW dip. This is what you should see if flukes are present.
1459813172723-jpg.336938

1459813183075-jpg.336939

Should I dip them all?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I dip them all?

i would just do the Naso right now. If he shows flukes, then we can talk about prazipro. Dipping them all would depend on the level of infestation (if there is one)

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

Ok some white stuff defiantly came from his mouth/gill area, and saw more when I added him back into the tank.

Flukes?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back