OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reason that reading the sampled opinions of mixed reefers who aren’t in your home, and then taking a guess at best practices from the group that you then implement is a bad strategy

that’s exactly what brought you to writing the title of the thread, all the prep we get to set up a reef tank comes from that practice.

you should do opposite. Pick one person. Work with them exclusively either in chat or here live for eight weeks. If they don’t have your nano fixed in eight weeks, move to another party. As much as you might be tempted to try best seeming practices from offers, or based on the readings you took from non digital test kits, don’t

make one person external solely responsible for fixing your tank in eight weeks and if they can’t, their nano reef fixin ain’t no good.
Also I can get RODI water from my LFS. Can I store the water in sealed buckets?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think you'd consider that so I edited it out

What we could do with an HD prime 16 reef would be shocking. I just bought one new off Amazon for 17.xx a month on assure payments. It doesn't have to be full size version that one is $250 / 200.00 if you can find a used one

We aren't aiming for wall to wall sps

You can change your rock stack, after a rip clean to reset the tank, to be centralized vs a wall stack

And then even a smaller hq light will be fine bc we can stock from the middle out, one very high quality light like that would change your reefs direction.

Regarding reef water

No I would not cap it off this is why sampling ideas isn't best, someone else will just chime in they cap it off and everything is fine.

If you wind up getting an HD prime 16 send me a chat message that's showing serious resolve if you do

Lastly

You need to be able to get real reef tank water

Ro + salt is along for a headache

You need ro di + salt to do it right

If you must use only ro with salt i wouldn't recommend investing in corals the constant invasions you'll be cleaning up aren't worth it

It's possible to reef with ro + salt but you'll be cleaning out the tank 3x more than normal to prevent invasions, the d.i. step is crucial for clean running.

But if you can get an HD prime 16 and ro di water then I'm 100% certain in two months you'd have healthy corals.

The last thing we'd change up is how you feed them

And the only parameters we'd be testing are temp and salinity, literally no other tests. You'd do feeding + water changes like exercise on the nano and it'll be in shape in two mos under hd prime + ro di and any brand of reef salt you want. It's not in your params

We would speed up your feeding and water change frequency well above norm, that's what you're sustaining for two months

It's not in chemistry tinkering it's in feeding and constant clean water

Then at month two you can cruise control a bit for a while based on the quality of water you've been using

It's in your macro approach/ not param levels/ how to fix that nano

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already seen a 32 gallon setup on an HD prime it kept anemones, sps etc

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but be careful with the lfs water. Some local fish stores don't change your membranes out often enough and you have high TDS in that water. But you can always ask them to see the TDS as they're getting the water for you.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your price point is but I got my rodi from Amazon, fairly cheap for what I got. If you look at what the lfs charges for rodi water, it pays for itself in no time.
This one in convenient bc you can fill a bucket right in your kitchen sink. I use old salt buckets for storage, rinse them thoroughly first of course.
Screenshot_20221112_121636.jpg

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use distilled water from your grocery store until you get your RO/DI unit set up. After that there are relatively inexpensive LEDS the work great for nano tanks for all corals and then weekly water changes and your luck with corals will change.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for almost a year and after countless kinds of coral I can’t seem to get anything to live. I have had SPS, LPS, softies and everything in between. Nothing I do seems to work. I religiously check my parameters and have them as close as I can to the optimal parameters of whatever I was trying to grow. I have 4 fish and non of them are picking or causing issues, I don’t see any pests. So at this point I think I’m just gonna have to settle for fish only.

may tank is a 29g with a hang on the back filter unfortunately but I change the cartridge often so that I don’t have a bunch of nitrate growing in it.

I have an app that I input all my test info into so that it gives me a graph over a certain period of time.
My parameters are:
Nitrate: 5ppm
Phosphate: 0ppm
Calcium: 380-400 ppm(for softies)
Mag: 1400
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 8.1
Alkalinity: 11-12DKH

if y’all have any suggestions feel free. I honestly am just thinking about selling the tank because it makes me a little sad to think about all the time effort and money I have lost.
I agree with others, you need to purchase a small RODI unit. I recently (accidentally) ran mine without the DI resin and my corals started to get unhappy. So I know the filters do make a huge difference.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reason that reading the sampled opinions of mixed reefers who aren’t in your home, and then taking a guess at best practices from the group that you then implement is a bad strategy

that’s exactly what brought you to writing the title of the thread, all the prep we get to set up a reef tank comes from that practice.

you should do opposite. Pick one person. Work with them exclusively either in chat or here live for eight weeks. If they don’t have your nano fixed in eight weeks, move to another party. As much as you might be tempted to try best seeming practices from offers, or based on the readings you took from non digital test kits, don’t

make one person external solely responsible for fixing your tank in eight weeks and if they can’t, their nano reef fixin ain’t no good.
Brandon are you drunk again ?
Instead of mirroring one person and preying their approach is proper. It’s outlined in the first few comments exactly what the issue is
1) api phosphate kit range is terrible . The first is 0.00 to 0.25 which is too low to excessively high . Is that test accurate ? I doubt it .
Next . Tds of the water source has never been tested but we can all assume being dechlorinated tap water is never a good choice especially when trying to provide stable parameters
Next : I’m not a lighting professional but I believe the lights are best suited for freshwater , or fish only systems .

cheers

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can find someone to buy this light locally then I can definitely do an HD prime if it’s under $300
I see you're in Waco. There is an awesome reefing community/group in DFW, and I know they have members from other parts of Texas (I'm in Houston). I would check them out, should be a great place to buy/sell equipment, get a local mentor, etc.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do much better on price online. Check out Air Water Ice. I have been happy with their customer service and they were much less than my LFS.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without an ICP there’s no way of knowing exactly what might be an issue and I suspect why prior to it some couldn’t keep corals. Trying to fix an unknown might cause other issues to pop up.

When in doubt. RODI and constant WC in a small system should keep everything stabilized.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you're in Waco. There is an awesome reefing community/group in DFW, and I know they have members from other parts of Texas (I'm in Houston). I would check them out, should be a great place to buy/sell equipment, get a local mentor, etc.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using ?
Zero phosphates is always a problem .. only if the zero is in fact a accurate number from a reliable kit .
Api will give you zero of the number is between zero and 0.25ppm the range we want is closer to zero ( 0.03-0.1 ppm )

along with Low nutrients you want to keep alkalinity closer to nsw levels ( 7.5-8 dkh )

with higher alkalinity the corals want to grow skeleton but they don’t have enough nutrients to grow flesh ( starving )

Nitrates are fine .
I did not see salinity or what brand salt you’re using ?
Are you using rodi water ?
Good advice. The biggest problems I've ever had were when PO4 went to zero (besides the time my salinity was WAAAY off), that, and faulty testing. I always double-check weird results, preferably with other test kits.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the group... If the tank has been contaminated with copper from the tap water, is this going to cause the same long term problems as when copper is used to treat fish for disease?
Or can this only be answered by testing for copper over a period of time?

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the RODI thing like many folks have recommended, I'd strongly encourage you to check the used section of a good lfs or local ads for a cheap used 2ft T5. It will get you by until you choose to upgrade (or not :)) and give you something really solid to work with.
LEDs are cool, but for someone starting out and having trouble, I think a light you can just turn on and know it's working is a major stress reliever.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the risk of getting blocked until 2028, what's the obsession with the HD Prime? It sounds like price is a concern (always is :() and results with the Radeon weren't quite there either. Not picking on the Prime, Radeon or the owner, but I really think something simple, cheap and easy would be good until the op gets some success going :)

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters: These seem not great, but not bad enough to kill any and all coral. You want to get a better phosphate test (something with more accuracy) and you might want to increase the phosphate depending on what the new test reads. Alkalinity is high but not too high IMO. If it was 13-14 I would be worried.

Tap vs. RODI: I use tap in my tank and I've managed to grow a variety of LPS (torch, lobo, acan, etc.). I ran an ICP and I have a wicked clean tap (no nutrients, TDS ~ 50, kH ~ 1, low heavy metals). The tap could be a problem, and it's not a bad idea to get an RODI unit. However, the fact you have kept some inverts (urchin) successfully would be surprising if there was a lethal amount of copper in the tank.

Lighting: That light seems deficient, I think you'll want a better light to grow coral. There are lots of cheaper options on amazon that grow coral perfectly well. I have the Nicrew A30 on my 12 gallon and it's growing LPS just fine. The A30 probably doesn't have enough spread for your 29 gallon, but there are other good options (e.g. black box lights). Just search for a reef light on amazon.

Filter cartridges: Stop replacing the filter cartridges every two weeks. This does nothing for your nitrates, and you're just disrupting your biological filter when you do this. Honestly, if this were a freshwater forum, this would be by far the most alarming thing that you're doing, but on a saltwater forum everyone seems to overlook things like this. Presumably, this is because most of the biological filtration in reef tanks is in the tank (the rock). In freshwater, the biological filtration is in the filter, and tossing the media regularly would kickstart minicycles every few weeks. I'm not sure if this is actually happening in your tank, however replacing the cartridges is doing nothing and costing you money so I would stop. If you wanted to reduce nitrates by removing the filter floss cartridges (e.g. mechanical filtration) you would need to be replacing the cartridges at least twice a week. Since you're only replacing them every few weeks, you aren't reducing your nitrates at all.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back