I give up

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell y’all how thankful I am that this community is so helpful and full of knowledgeable people. A member of this community had an AI prime and skimmer sent to me. I can’t express how thankful I am. I will keep y’all updated on progress as I put forth every ounce of effort to make sure this tank is as successful as it can be. Again thank you, all of you, for taking time to help my tiny and seemingly meaningless tank compared to y’all’s huge and amazing builds.
This is why most of us are here. .

to help when and where we can .
The skimmer and prime were sent today ?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean?
We know he has high alkalinity, we know he has low nutrients, which together we know that's a bad combination.
His lights are subpar at best and he is using tap water.
So if he can fix all these issues and do some water changes I think his tank would turn around.
I don't believe in ICP test is in order here. Perhaps if he was a seasoned reefer and was still having problems yes, do an ICP.
Or maybe if he fixes all these problems and 6 months down the road he still having problems, do an ICP. I just don't think it's warranted right now.
Just my approach. Were I not able to keep that alive which was alive then I'd leave no stone unturned. All corrections take time to confirm. Best identify all of them before wasting more time and gaining more discouragement.

I know those who have had alk to 16. Had a conversation recently on using kalk to raise ph. Might just be an internet thing that gets repeated.

Not convinced low nutrients cause issues since all have different feeding regiments and filtration. Plus I believe it might be more a need for ammonium and not necessarily nitrates. Latter just happens to be the last processed and best measured.

Impossible to be at zero phosphates. Rock will absorb and release. Just because something measures zero indicates at the moment and not that at an other point it didn't exist. Lou Ekus mentions corals getting their phosphate from fish detritus as unable to pull it efficiently from the water. Learned something new.

Efficient filtration can process quickly yet doesn't indicate nutrient weren't there long enough to meet the needs of organism. Why a heavily infested algae tank might show zero nutrients yet they were at some point present.

Careless to assume fixing what is known will fix all. I just prefer to be more thurough. Do you feel my approach will make it worse. Being more thorough?

Jake Adams (RIP) used tap water processed by sediment and carbon. Didn't need RODI. Not everyone has bad tap water. Only the internet.

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’ll be incredibly honest I have no clue which direction to go. I basically have one more try at this before my girl kills me for how much I’ve spent (and as a result died) so I guess I’m gonna try getting a light and working with my LFS to get RODI water because I can’t afford both a new light and RODI system.
I"m by far no expert, but I would try adding a sump,insump skimmer, and if you can"t afford RO/DI unit atleast use R/O from vending machines.It's not good either but better than TAP water.I got away with that for yrs and had moderate success with softies and even grew Monti caps.With light, if you look hard you can comeup on a used light.Don't get discouraged.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to finish so hopefully I’ll have some extra money to go around before long but until then it’s just trying to get through
You know, it really IS ok to decide that other aspects of your life are higher priorities right now. I'm not telling you to stay or to quit, but if it makes more sense to take a break and then come back to the hobby in the future - and not be as stressed about it - that is fine :)

OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, it really IS ok to decide that other aspects of your life are higher priorities right now. I'm not telling you to stay or to quit, but if it makes more sense to take a break and then come back to the hobby in the future - and not be as stressed about it - that is fine :)
You are totally right but I think I’m gonna give it one more hoorah!

Liza_casella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for almost a year and after countless kinds of coral I can’t seem to get anything to live. I have had SPS, LPS, softies and everything in between. Nothing I do seems to work. I religiously check my parameters and have them as close as I can to the optimal parameters of whatever I was trying to grow. I have 4 fish and non of them are picking or causing issues, I don’t see any pests. So at this point I think I’m just gonna have to settle for fish only.

may tank is a 29g with a hang on the back filter unfortunately but I change the cartridge often so that I don’t have a bunch of nitrate growing in it.

I have an app that I input all my test info into so that it gives me a graph over a certain period of time.
My parameters are:
Nitrate: 5ppm
Phosphate: 0ppm
Calcium: 380-400 ppm(for softies)
Mag: 1400
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 8.1
Alkalinity: 11-12DKH

if y’all have any suggestions feel free. I honestly am just thinking about selling the tank because it makes me a little sad to think about all the time effort and money I have lost.
Where are you located? A quick search can tell you what is in your local tap water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If I can find someone to buy this light locally then I can definitely do an HD prime if it’s under $300
Check marketplace under forums. Many items including lights for sale. Ive used most lights and do like the prime BUT if you think you will expand later, consider the hydra 26 or 32hd which you will be able to utilize in the future also

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I too have a 29g with only a hang on back filter.
I would chill out with the testing and changing of filters. Let the tank do its own thing and stop trying to control every parameter. It will find balance just provide it with the necessities and leave it be for a while. I find my tank loves and thrives on nutrients to the point where it all balances out. I think if you stop over thinking it and trying to control every aspect of it, it will find its own groove and balance out.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my approach. Were I not able to keep that alive which was alive then I'd leave no stone unturned. All corrections take time to confirm. Best identify all of them before wasting more time and gaining more discouragement.

I know those who have had alk to 16. Had a conversation recently on using kalk to raise ph. Might just be an internet thing that gets repeated.

Not convinced low nutrients cause issues since all have different feeding regiments and filtration. Plus I believe it might be more a need for ammonium and not necessarily nitrates. Latter just happens to be the last processed and best measured.

Impossible to be at zero phosphates. Rock will absorb and release. Just because something measures zero indicates at the moment and not that at an other point it didn't exist. Lou Ekus mentions corals getting their phosphate from fish detritus as unable to pull it efficiently from the water. Learned something new.

Efficient filtration can process quickly yet doesn't indicate nutrient weren't there long enough to meet the needs of organism. Why a heavily infested algae tank might show zero nutrients yet they were at some point present.

Careless to assume fixing what is known will fix all. I just prefer to be more thurough. Do you feel my approach will make it worse. Being more thorough?

Jake Adams (RIP) used tap water processed by sediment and carbon. Didn't need RODI. Not everyone has bad tap water. Only the internet.
It is a more though put approach, can't deny that.
But, being only a 29 gallon tank and low funds, two 10/15 gallon water changes can change the whole dynamics of the tank. I'm pretty sure his methodology in what he was doing is why it's been failing. Just changing these few things will most likely bring success. Can I guarantee this? No. But neither can a ICP.
I'm not one to jump down a rabbit hole and do a bunch of stuff all at once but looking at what has been going on(what he is saying) things should change.
Money is better spent on the ro/di unit. (now that a skimmer and lights are coming) (thanks to a fellow reefer, you are awesome)
What would a ICP test tell him? Your low on this or that or high.
Water change. Done.
If this was a large tank that's been running for years and things are dying, yes, ICP.

Just my .02¢

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rmckoy

I want to be very clear with you

go find an outbound tank job, you've posted/opined in plenty recently.

get into chat with them, sell someone on your turnaround ways and do some logged work. you have two months, find a real job you're doing and be accountable

we'll be back here in eight weeks to compare outcomes. There is no excuse: I could not find a job

there's no excuse for whats coming in eight weeks R, find a job/build it up/ save the trouble link you got the work from so we can compare outcomes.

:)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a more though put approach, can't deny that.
But, being only a 29 gallon tank and low funds, two 10/15 gallon water changes can change the whole dynamics of the tank. I'm pretty sure his methodology in what he was doing is why it's been failing. Just changing these few things will most likely bring success. Can I guarantee this? No. But neither can a ICP.
I'm not one to jump down a rabbit hole and do a bunch of stuff all at once but looking at what has been going on(what he is saying) things should change.
Money is better spent on the ro/di unit. (now that a skimmer and lights are coming) (thanks to a fellow reefer, you are awesome)
What would a ICP test tell him? Your low on this or that or high.
Water change. Done.
If this was a large tank that's been running for years and things are dying, yes, ICP.

Just my .02¢
I did mention just going to RODI and WC. However, I also believe only way to learn from our mistakes is comprehend what we did wrong. Today we have ICP to help solve that otherwise we might be more likely to repeat the same mistakes. For example, a faulty device not corrected will continue to cause issues even if conducting large and frequent WC with RODI and best salt money can buy. No short cuts when one has no clue what was done.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rmckoy

I want to be very clear with you

go find an outbound tank job, you've posted/opined in plenty recently.

get into chat with them, sell someone on your turnaround ways and do some logged work. you have two months, find a real job you're doing and be accountable

we'll be back here in eight weeks to compare outcomes. There is no excuse: I could not find a job

there's no excuse for whats coming in eight weeks R, find a job/build it up/ save the trouble link you got the work from so we can compare outcomes.

:)
Brandon … this isn’t a ticking match or comparing who’s is bigger .
to be frank , I really don’t care what you think . This is by far the furthest from reefing for family community .
if it was actually your business I would disclose my career , jobs , perhaps if you want to pay my bills , cook my meals for one month I’ll openly share my whole life events in private chat .

the comment ( are you drunk again )
Was a joke ….
You seriously need to take a breath and enjoy the better things in life .

OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon … this isn’t a ticking match or comparing who’s is bigger .
to be frank , I really don’t care what you think . This is by far the furthest from reefing for family community .
if it was actually your business I would disclose my career , jobs , perhaps if you want to pay my bills , cook my meals for one month I’ll openly share my whole life events in private chat .

the comment ( are you drunk again )
Was a joke ….
You seriously need to take a breath and enjoy the better things in life .
Would you say .50 cents a gallon is too much for RODI?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say .50 cents a gallon is too much for RODI?
I personally wouldn’t pay for it when you could potentially buy the system and make your own .
It’s not too bad given the circumstances and knowing it could be 1000 times better than what you have now . ( not knowing your water source or quality

OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t pay for it when you could potentially buy the system and make your own .
It’s not too bad given the circumstances and knowing it could be 1000 times better than what you have now . ( not knowing your water source or quality
Okay sounds good. He also makes saltwater himself but I hesitated because I feel like that is sinful in the reef world.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back