OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "white spots" you see are excess mucous which builds up around the insertion point(s). It's the immune system's natural reaction to trophonts burrowing in under the epithelium. Typically, there is a delayed reaction before the white spots show up. It may also be present for a day or two even after the trophont has dropped off the fish.
Hmm... interesting, I was informed differently. The question I have then is why is it not presenting as actual white spots on the fish, if it was a mucus build up like you say, then why does it appear almost as if under the scales? Meaning no raised white, spots like with typical ich. But rather flat, faded, cloudy spots.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... interesting, I was informed differently. The question I have then is why is it not presenting as actual white spots on the fish, if it was a mucus build up like you say, then why does it appear almost as if under the scales? Meaning no raised white, spots like with typical ich. But rather flat, faded, cloudy spots.

Because I don't think what you are seeing on your Hippo is, in fact, ich.

OP
OP
immafishguy

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any theories? I was maybe thinking they could be loose scales as he's been fighting with my powder blue hybrid, but it's just weird that it's only a few scattered spots

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any theories? I was maybe thinking they could be loose scales as he's been fighting with my powder blue hybrid, but it's just weird that it's only a few scattered spots

Could be battle scars from the other fish's scalpel. I had a PBT who would relentlessly attack a LARGE Blonde Naso in his sleeping den every night. The Naso just took it, would hardly even budge. Every morning his skin was all pitted up, but he would heal quickly. Had no choice but to rehome him. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten rid of the mean PBT. :p

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 60 27.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 44 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Back