ID Please :Large white spots - 14th Day in QT. Copper Safe 2.55

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple and Rocky beauty angel are in QT for 14 days now as they developed some white spots. Tested copper safe and it shows 2.55.

Fishes are eating well, No flashing etc. But I do see large white kind of spot in an angle. Couldn't see while straight.

Are these mucus plugs or flukes or bacterial infections.

Check the video . At .30 seconds you can see the white thing on rock beauty

@Jay Hemdal

YouTube link - https://youtube.com/shorts/d9zK39PK5oA?feature=share3

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My purple and Rocky beauty angel are in QT for 14 days now as they developed some white spots. Tested copper safe and it shows 2.55.

Fishes are eating well, No flashing etc. But I do see large white kind of spot in an angle. Couldn't see while straight.

Are these mucus plugs or flukes or bacterial infections.

Check the video . At .30 seconds you can see the white thing on rock beauty

@Jay Hemdal

YouTube link - https://youtube.com/shorts/d9zK39PK5oA?feature=share3
The purple tang is pretty much hidden throughout the video. Rock beauty is showing marine ich, despite copper treatment. How are you measuring copper level (what kit) ?
The dots are not flukes or bacterial but points to protozoans and/or mucus cones from skin irritation.
What is ammonia level in tank?
Are fish eating in Qt?

OP
OP
S

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Fritz CopperSafe. Testing copper using Hanna Kit. It's been 14 days now post 2.5 level. Ammonia is under control(Badge shows) . Changing water every 5 days(ensuring copper stays at 2.5 ppm. Eats very well. Medicated food(Mysis and Rods) with GC and Focus @vetteguy53081 @MnFish1 @Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Using Fritz CopperSafe. Testing copper using Hanna Kit. It's been 14 days now post 2.5 level. Ammonia is under control(Badge shows) . Changing water every 5 days(ensuring copper stays at 2.5 ppm. Eats very well. Medicated food(Mysis and Rods) with GC and Focus @vetteguy53081 @MnFish1 @Jay Hemdal
I dont favor adding GC or focus which is a binder to foods. If copper is at 2.5, maintain that and as for badge- Ive seen too many after a week or two produce false readings as I will not rely on felt material in medicated water for a long term accurate reading. I suspect you may have higher ammonia level and to find out, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I change course to copper power by making water change and mixing copper power to bring it to 2.5 ppm. Or wait untill another 7 days to see if the spots are down assuming ich stays for 21 days in QT.

Any thoughts. @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 @MnFish1

Sorry - I was offline overnight. The spots on the Rock Beauty could be ich, slight scale damage, or flukes, the angle isn't good to see. I have seen ich on fish in coppersafe, that's why I recommend a 30 day treatment period. It is mild, but also slow to work. I would NOT change to copper power, the products are virtually identical.

I would continue on with coppersafe and then follow it with a 2x praziquantel treatment (or general cure).

Just an FYI - rock beauties can be real heartbreakers - they look good, seemingly eat well, but many of them die after about the 4 to 6 month mark. Be sure to feed the best diet possible, there used to be some frozen foods designed for sponge feeding angelfish, if those are still on the market, try that.

Jay

OP
OP
S

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal . Thank you Jay. Yes continuing with CopperSafe and will do the 2X Prazi.

Reg Rock Beauty, yes I feed them PE Mysis, Nori, LRS and Reef Rod. It's eating all. As you said, I will look for sponge rich food and feed along with what I feed them.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 68 76.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back