If i use cuprion copper do i only have to quarantine for 14 days?

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidentally got ionic copper so im wondering how to dose this properly since its stronger and since its stronger do i only have to quarantine for 14 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidentally got ionic copper so im wondering how to dose this properly since its stronger and since its stronger do i only have to quarantine for 14 days?
It isn’t stronger per-se, it is just trickier to dose and is more toxic to certain fish. You’ll need an accurate low dose copper test kit and run it at 0.20 ppm for 21 days.
Are you sure you don’t want to cut your losses and buy the right product? Coppersafe is so much easier and safer to use, I switched to it years ago.
Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
To reinforce- Agree with going the proper route with coppersafe or even copper power at the dosage mentioned for 30 FULL days- must be full 30 days. The outcome will be much better and easier on the livestock

Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to run any copper treatment for the same period as @Jay Hemdal stated. I use copper power for 30 days. You'll want a Hanna high range test kit. Its really the only way to accurately keep track of the amount of copper in the water. There is info stickied in the fish disease section about QT. QT is really not where you want to cut corners. Stronger doesn't mean it works faster it just means it takes less of the product to reach therapeutic levels. Its about the life cycle of what your are trying to prevent.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we’re here a question i have is can you feed general cure to the fish while you quarantine with copper so at the end of the 30 days you can put it straight in the DT without having to do a extra 14 days of internal parasite treatment?

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s tricky about the ionic copper?
In my experience it's getting the dosage correct.

The Hanna HR copper checker does not measure accurately at the required therapeutic dose.
The Hanna LR copper checker does not work at all in Saltwater.

So you have to use the Seachem test, which is difficult to read - at least to my eyes.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we’re here a question i have is can you feed general cure to the fish while you quarantine with copper so at the end of the 30 days you can put it straight in the DT without having to do a extra 14 days of internal parasite treatment?
Part of the problem with ionic copper is that it doesn’t mix well with other meds - best to do them separately.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just curious. . .Why 0.20 instead of 0.25?
To keep toxicity at a safe level. I think it was meant to be at 2.0

Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna HR copper checker does not measure accurately at the required therapeutic dose.
The Hanna LR copper checker does not work at all in Saltwater.
I beg to differ on the first statement. It has been doing a fine job checking my copper levels in QT for several years.

To the OP You may want to think about slowing down and not trying to figure out shortcuts. QT is not where you want to cut corners IMO

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beg to differ on the first statement. It has been doing a fine job checking my copper levels in QT for several years.

To the OP You may want to think about slowing down and not trying to figure out shortcuts. QT is not where you want to cut corners IMO
The Hanna Low Range copper tester is incapable of accurately measuring 0.20ppm.
The measurement error at that level exceeds 30%.

It is fine for CopperPower at 2.5ppm, no good for ionic copper.

Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna Low Range copper tester is incapable of accurately measuring 0.20ppm.
The measurement error at that level exceeds 30%.

It is fine for CopperPower at 2.5ppm, no good for ionic copper.
My bad. I use copper power so it's fine for my purpose.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. . .Why 0.20 instead of 0.25?

There are actually a couple ionic copper products on the market. The OP was using copper sulfate and citric acid (Brightwell's Cuprion). the standard dose for that is .018 to 0.22 However, if they are using Cupramine, then the dose is 0.50

For copper/citric acid solutions, 0.25 will have a greater chance of showing toxicity in some fishes (like pygmy angels). Noga gives a dose of 0.15 to 0.20, but I think 0.15 is too low for some acute disease issues.

Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can't just feed General Cure to fish, you need to calculate the dosage first. Also, GC contains metronidazole and praziquantel. Those two drugs are dosed orally on different schedules, so you can't really feed them in the same diet anyway. Here is an article I wrote on medicated food:

Jay

Upvote 0

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are actually a couple ionic copper products on the market. The OP was using copper sulfate and citric acid (Brightwell's Cuprion). the standard dose for that is .018 to 0.22 However, if they are using Cupramine, then the dose is 0.50

For copper/citric acid solutions, 0.25 will have a greater chance of showing toxicity in some fishes (like pygmy angels). Noga gives a dose of 0.15 to 0.20, but I think 0.15 is too low for some acute disease issues.

Jay
Thanks.

I didn't know that the OP had mentioned using Brightwell's when you replied.

Upvote 0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back