If i use cuprion copper do i only have to quarantine for 14 days?

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidentally got ionic copper so im wondering how to dose this properly since its stronger and since its stronger do i only have to quarantine for 14 days?

OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't just feed General Cure to fish, you need to calculate the dosage first. Also, GC contains metronidazole and praziquantel. Those two drugs are dosed orally on different schedules, so you can't really feed them in the same diet anyway. Here is an article I wrote on medicated food:

Jay
I was going to mix it with food not feed them the meds directly. If not general cure can i get prazi pro and metroplex and feed them at different schedules while dosing with copper?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to mix it with food not feed them the meds directly. If not general cure can i get prazi pro and metroplex and feed them at different schedules while dosing with copper?

Correct, you can't really mix GC in food, even if you calculate the dose because metro is dosed every third day and prazi is dosed every 8 or 9 days.

I would not dose oral metro, oral prazi and copper all at once unless you know that you have three concurrent issues, as the stress combines from all three treatments at once. Remember that oral prazi is only effective against tapeworms, it won't work from external flukes, Prazipro is better. Oral metronidazole really only treats internal flagellates.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, you can't really mix GC in food, even if you calculate the dose because metro is dosed every third day and prazi is dosed every 8 or 9 days.

I would not dose oral metro, oral prazi and copper all at once unless you know that you have three concurrent issues, as the stress combines from all three treatments at once. Remember that oral prazi is only effective against tapeworms, it won't work from external flukes, Prazipro is better. Oral metronidazole really only treats internal flagellates.

Jay
So putting metro and prazi in the water will treat more parasites then if given orally?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So putting metro and prazi in the water will treat more parasites then if given orally?
It’s complicated. For external parasites, yes - in the water as a bath, always. For internal parasites, also yes in the water, unless you calculate the dose properly, then oral is better.

Jay

Upvote 0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 62 28.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 48 21.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 76 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back