If owning a salt water tank was illegal, what would you do?

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having reef tank in Hawaii is practically impossible due to local laws and that’s why I don’t live there.
Our “reef” tanks, at least the legal ones, consist of rock or rock-like material, locally sourced zoanthids and palythoas, some worms (feather dusters etc) and a couple of types of leather coral if you can find them. However, yellow tangs (and lots of other amazing species) are free if you want to capture them, and I spent the morning wing foil surfing over the largest reef tank in the world. And with each fall I was IN the tank instead of peering in…so for some of us the trade offs are totally worth it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collect a sailing yacht from San Francisco harbor. Go on a lot of dive trips in the Sulawesi Sea. Outfit the bilge on the trip there to safely bring samples back to the friendly ports near airport connections.

Tom Hanks Sony GIF by A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrug my shoulders and go keep guppies :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Lol guppies are fun. Kept them when I was a kid in my freshwater tank! My huge goldfish always ate some accidentally cause he was HUGE, like he is bigger than my purple tang Max who is probably 4 inches. Elementary school me named him Swimmy and I trained him to come into my hand and let me pick him up for a few seconds.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me with another hobby. I've kept turtles and tortoises for years. About 20 years ago my state outlawed possession of a species of turtle I had. Pursuing a license to keep them very quickly became impractical so I found them a new home. It was a shame as the pair had started exhibiting breeding behavior.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again @Gumbies R Us comes up with another great thread! I have no idea how you do it.
Laying in bed, driving to the gym or waking up in the morning just eating breakfast, I'll just have an idea pop in my head and think "Yeah, I'll ask that on R2R and see what happens". Sometimes, I'll see someone else's post, and it'll give me an idea as well, haha.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a saltwater tank will never be completly illegal. it will only be illegal for us underlings. Our overlords will still have them. Just like all legislation is designed to do.
If you can't handle that truth don't ask. if you want something sugar coated.....go buy a donut.

Back