If You Have A Power Failer What Is Your Back Up Plan?

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have three battery operated air pumps with bubble maker and hose. Oxygen is important, but so is water temperature etc. What is your plan should the electrical power go out? Thanks all

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had a few power outages that have last multiple days here in the Northeast. I pull the portable generator out of the garage and plug in my aquarium - and a few other essentials (frig, lights, tv).

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a generator put everything in the same place, buy some pool noodle to you can run and extension cord through a window, nothing like slamming a window on a live wire. Make sure you have a flashlight were you can find it, power outages are not always convenient. Buy a good extension cord, buy a good power strips with a GFI. Keep good fuel on hand, run generator at least once a month for 15 minutes.

A Fish Called Wanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a generator put everything in the same place, buy some pool noodle to you can run and extension cord through a window, nothing like slamming a window on a live wire. Make sure you have a flashlight were you can find it, power outages are not always convenient. Buy a good extension cord, buy a good power strips with a GFI. Keep good fuel on hand, run generator at least once a month for 15 minutes.
That’s a good tip with the pool noodle and I always run my generator for 15 mins once or every other month.. Towards the end of the 15 mins I shut the gas line off so that the remaining gas in the line and carb burn off..

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad slammed the garage door leading into the house but he forgot he had and extension cord there, we watched as the electricity arced all the way around the trim of the door.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad slammed the garage door leading into the house but he forgot he had and extension cord there, we watched as the electricity arced all the way around the trim of the door.
No it would be so fast just a little pop maybe a quick flash but nothing like the movies you could sit an watch......

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have three battery operated air pumps with bubble maker and hose. Oxygen is important, but so is water temperature etc. What is your plan should the electrical power go out? Thanks all
My plan is to watch my tank die

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power went out about an hour ago and came back on after a couple minutes.

I do have some portable bubble boxes from my bait buckets that I keep handy in case I need them.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A generator for me. Without it in a power loss in winter months your tank will be a total loss depending on how long and where you live. When the air temp outside is below freezing your house will drop in the 50s within a day without any supplemental heat. In my case the generator can run the natural gas furnace.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your title should say "When you have a power failure"

My plan is battery back up on powerheads then a portable genarator.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yR9Duonfhyn3a.gif

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generator will run the tank but last time we lost power it was 110* F outside. Took 3 days to get electricity back. House temp got to 96. I went to the local liquor-mart and they let me freeze 32 oz Gatorade bottles filled with water 2 at a time. They fit perfectly in the sump. Rotated them out every few hours and everything survived.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll pour hot water into my tank if it gets to cold, ill put ice cubes in the tank if it gets to warm.
Do you just use tap water, if not how do you heat or freeze the water? I’ve mostly heard of people using hot or cold water in bottles and floating them in the tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back