importance of magnesium...?

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never got a test kit for it, and dont know if i should be worried alot about it? would somone care to explain exactly what its importance is in my tank?

got some sps, lps, couple bta, alot of softies, and a clam.

Heffe01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is a very important part of the water buffering system, and is incorporated into coral skeletons. It is also critical to​
any photosynthetic processes.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is very inportant it helps with keeping other levals up. Also some types liek higher alk. I would test it if its low it could be hindering growth it should be in he 1400 range i like mine at 1450.

josepy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the buffering. Also low mag will hinder polyp extension. Mag helps control algae issues. so just keep up with it, its pretty simple.

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do they sell tests just for mag? and im guessing you can buy some kind of supplement to raise and lower it, like the PH levels.
and M AND M you are always looking out for me =] i appreciate it..

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, i would consider biting the bullet and getting quality test it will save you money. I say every reefer needs at least a cal/alk and mag. I suggest either elos or salfert brands they both are good quality some of the less expensive brands are not as accurate. Mag is tricky because it also influences your alk and mag level. Alk is hands down the number one thing to cause reefers to lose corals due to if it swings +1 or -1 you will notice it withen hours. Here is a link to the best and cheapest MAg supplament

Magnesium Supplements for Aquariums - English

There goes what you can choose from, i suggest tthe bigger one 13 somthing it take a allot to raise mag. I was at 1200 and i wanted it at 1450 once and it took 7/8ths of a gallon jug.

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the red sea marine lab (ph, crappy alk test, nitrate and nitrite, ammonia?) and i purchased a single API calcium tester a couple months ago... the alk tester isnt accurate enough i can clearly see that and i need to get the mag tester and supplement... anything else u think i should get?
oh and its a 28g nano-cube.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea that basic pack i sent you would last you a long time. You might be abel to get away with the 1/2 gallon if you feel like doing all the measuring and doing just one supplament. The reason i like the pack is everything is pre measured and it comes with gallon size jugs. The API are ok for ph and stuff but i would only trust Alk/cal/mag/no3 and po4 with high end kits. Any other questions?

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alk and cal are only 2/3's of the story, without mag you just don't know if it was the Butler with the candlestick or not lol, mag is probably the most overlooked component known to newbies and I think the reason Purple up has managed to stay on the shelves

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg primary role is to keep ca and alk from precipitating out of solution. The rumors that it helps polyp extension and control of algae are based on purely anecdotal observations and have mixed feedback. I have seen no studies or proof or even any scientific reasoning why it would.. The fact that it is incorporated into coral skeletons is probably simply because it is present in sea water.

For more reading
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Chemistry and the Aquarium

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a bottle of purple up so does that mean i dont need to buy any mag supplement?

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without testing no one knows where your mag level stands. I don't know the mg levels in purple up either.
Coraline algae seems to be the biggest user of Mg. So if you coraline is growing like crazy you are probably deficient.
If I remember correctly it takes like 1 pound of dry Mg Chloride to raise 100 gallons of water 100 ppm. Thats a whole lot of supplement.
IMO regular water changes with a salt that has slightly elevated levels of Mg is the best way to keep Mg levels in the proper range

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dont know allot about purple up, i would still suggest two part adn test kits it's the most common way and accurate. Purple up mioght raise other parameters also that you dont need.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS Mag is probably the best bang for your buck. Keep in mind that there are two different ways to make it, depending on your primary calcium input.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threw the link i sent you the kit comes with both those mags and you mix them to make a hole gallon of solution.

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to Bulk reef Supply, there is a good video about the impotance of magnesium in the aquarium and it is not for algae control or polyp extension.
if you use a good salt you can get away from supplementing mag

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go BRS, don't be surprised on the amount you have to dose to bring it up by just 100ppm a day. I questioned adding 450ml a day, but it worked like a charm. Once I got my Mag up high enough, I rarely have to add any in to keep it above 1400

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go BRS, don't be surprised on the amount you have to dose to bring it up by just 100ppm a day. I questioned adding 450ml a day, but it worked like a charm. Once I got my Mag up high enough, I rarely have to add any in to keep it above 1400

I acualy posted a question on this a few days ago it told me to add roughly 600ml or somthign like that to raise it 200PPM.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acualy posted a question on this a few days ago it told me to add roughly 600ml or somthign like that to raise it 200PPM.

Depends on the water volume you have. For me, raising it by 100ppm per day was about 400-450ml of Mag solution. You can do the calculator on BRS, or use the one below. Make sure to subtract the volume for rock, equipment, etc. For example, my display is about 60 gal, plus my 20 gal in the sump, plus my 25 in frag tank...but I calculate on 75 gal.

As you go up in Mag, obviously you'll need less as you get closer to your target range. Its generally best to not raise Mag by more than 100ppm for a single day.

Reef Chemistry Calculator

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 59 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back