importance of magnesium...?

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep im using a salifert test i read some good stuff about it and its not that hard to read. so how often to yall have to add mag to keep it around the 1400-1450 range

Last edited:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep im using a salifert test i read some good stuff about it and its not that hard to read. so how often to yall have to add mag to keep it around the 1400-1450 range

Before I raised my salinity, which raises Mag, I was adding about 30ml every few days for my roughly 75gal water volume.

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i use brightwell calcion-p for the calcium kent superbuffer-dkh and seachem for the mag i know i prob should stick to one brand. but im about to run out of the superbuffer and the brightwells never tryed the two part stuff is it better to do it that way? what the best to use?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a cheaper two part, check out the BulkReefSupply kit, which should save you some cash. My top supply shelf is nothing but BRS containers :) Its a great place to save some money and start with some DIY stuff, which makes it more fun I think.

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just checked my mag its still not at 1400 yet. i just now made it to 1335 and i added 15 tsp to it last night.that should have raised it 75 points. is my tank realy useing that much mag or am i doing something wrong. i thought i would have made it to 1400 buy now lol. does it make a defiance if the light are on when i test the mag

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll find that your coraline algae will use up a bunch of magnesium, and you'll see it explode on your rocks and they'll all turn that purple color. It did for me. Just keep up the dosing and slowly bump it up

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just checked the mag in my tank im up to 1420 now and its been 28 hours sence iv added any to it. only thang is now my alk and ph has droped my ph was at 7.8 and alk at 7 dkh. so i had to add some superbuffer to bring that back up. lol. i cant keep every thang right were it needs be. i might end up trying that kalk stuff

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep on top of it and it should level out. If all else fails, try the kalk, but you'll still need to manually add the Magnesium. At least if you automate the kalkwasser, it'll be two less things you have to manually dose and should keep things stable.

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am just starting to add coral and only have a very few softies, I have not had to get into the dosing game...yet, but soon will be.
I will be getting the Salifert tests and the BRS starter kit.

BRS has 2 flavors of the starter kits, #1 raises pH, #2 lowers pH, if pH is 8.4+.

My pH stays close to 8.4 as measured by my API test.
I take it then, that I should get the #2 kit, correct?

...or do you recommend a better pH test than API, then see which one I need? And if I continue to get readings at the borderline of 8.4-ish,
which kit? (my readings stay within the resolution of the API test whether I read at morning or at night--Refugium lights opposite DT)

Thoughts please, Thanks!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pH of 8.4 is pretty decent really, so if you continue to stick around there, its good. I've heard API

As for Mag, if you are only doing softies for right now, you shouldn't have to worry about Magnesium, and your water changes should provide enough for the tank.

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand that, I am getting ready for more than softies, just doing research so I will know what to do when the time comes.(read: when Mr Piggy Bank approves the expenditure)

My question is, with a pH of 8.4, which recipe is correct for me? The BRS #1 or #2.

Thanks

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you speaking about which recipe of the Magnesium mixture that you would need to use? Just want to make sure we're on the same page :)

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more research to do on this, I don't want to spend too much of your time just yet, but, with my pH about where I'd like to keep it, which of these is more appropriate for me.
One says "raises pH" the other says "lowers pH". I'd like to keep my pH just where it is, thankyouverymuch.

ScreenShot001.jpg

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you are talking about the 2 part, and not Mag.

How are you maintaining your pH right now?

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH stays close to 8.4 as measured by my API test.
I take it then, that I should get the #2 kit, correct?

Thoughts please, Thanks!

Don't worry much about pH. You can chase it all over the place. Get your alk right and your pH will follow. I haven't tested pH in years

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry much about pH. You can chase it all over the place. Get your alk right and your pH will follow. I haven't tested pH in years

So noted, thanks. I want to get in the Cal/alk game, so to speak, prior to it being a necessity.

You would use recipe #2 according to them. "Use Recipe 2 if pH is above 8.3."

That is what I figured, just wanted confirmation. My issue is I don't know enough yet to ask the right questions. Thanks for your patience.

Oh, you are talking about the 2 part, and not Mag.

How are you maintaining your pH right now?

pH is maintained by doing nothing.
Fairly low bioload, agressive skimming, huge ball of chaeto in the 'fuge with lights opposite the DT, good surface agitation.
I have not seen a reading beyond the resolution of the API color chart in months, steady at ~8.4.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using either recipe should give you the ability to reduce the amount of buffer you dose, and just add calcium if you need, unless they actually mix them together.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I figured, just wanted confirmation. My issue is I don't know enough yet to ask the right questions. Thanks for your patience.

No problem. It is confusing because it says one raises ph and the other lowers. The thing is, when it lowers the ph, it is does so very little. So even if you go from 8.4 to 8.3 or 8.2 you are still fine. But for someone that has low ph around 7.9 they can't afford the .2 drop in ph.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back