Inexpensive Low-Iron Tank Options??

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I question this. I had been debating what overflow would be best if I ordered a new tank, the center internal overflow or an external overflow. Originally, I wanted the center overflow and thought I would pile rocks just as you guys say. That's a great look, I think. But, I thought I learned that it's best not to pile your rock directly against the back of the tank and to leave room for water flow behind the rock. For this reason, I have been leaning towards the external overflow.

Have you guys had a problem piling your rock right up against the back of the tank?

If this is ill advised, then I think 'scaping the tank would be difficult with the center overflow. However, the center overflow has such a nice, clean look, even on the outside of the tank, without having to hide the plumbing.

After having recently contacted the company, I *believe* SC Aquariums has an 80 gallon center overflow in stock. They can build me an 80 gallon with the external overflow, but I was told the lead time would be like 15-17 weeks. I'm a very patient reefer, but dang!

Any thoughts on what overflow is better?

Thanks guys!
What’s there email ?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another option is to get a acrylic lid and then any cords would run through that.

I'm looking to make my own lid with some plastic for the ends combined with the standard aluminum framed top you make yourself with window screen framing.

The cutting will be done with a table router.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to get a acrylic lid and then any cords would run through that.

I'm looking to make my own lid with some plastic for the ends combined with the standard aluminum framed top you make yourself with window screen framing.

The cutting will be done with a table router.
Can you post a link to the window frame material that comes from the hardware store please? I've heard of DIY screen tops, but don't know what material everyone is using. Thanks!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are standard window screen kits for house windows.

You also have to buy the aluminum frames to fit your dimensions. You can buy the 1/4" or 1/8" screen material on line. You may want to do some DIY searches on R2R for some ideas.

The one issue is how you work around power cords for flow pumps without leaving holes for fish to jump through.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are standard window screen kits for house windows.

You also have to buy the aluminum frames to fit your dimensions. You can buy the 1/4" or 1/8" screen material on line. You may want to do some DIY searches on R2R for some ideas.

The one issue is how you work around power cords for flow pumps without leaving holes for fish to jump through.
Great, thank you!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's also the option of just buying a nice lid. It's pricey but you're set.

Depends on how you look at it. A $300 wrasse isn't likely to get out.:)
This is a great looking top for the tank I am considering, but $340 for a plastic top…… yikes! I get it, it can potentially save livestock, but that seems like a lot for a top.

https://toplids.com/collections/sca...-custom-polycarbonate-aquarium-screen-top-lid

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a great looking top for the tank I am considering, but $340 for a plastic top…… yikes! I get it, it can potentially save livestock, but that seems like a lot for a top.

https://toplids.com/collections/sca...-custom-polycarbonate-aquarium-screen-top-lid

I hear ya..........mine would be 619 as have the 150g. It's why I'm going DIY. I could buy a new Router table and materials for under $300.

I'm lucky enough my bro in law has a router so I only need to buy the screening material. I already have the plastic I need for a retrofit and I'm only going to use it on the very ends to accommodate cords.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya..........mine would be 619 as have the 150g. It's why I'm going DIY. I could buy a new Router table and materials for under $300.

I'm lucky enough my bro in law has a router so I only need to buy the screening material. I already have the plastic I need for a retrofit and I'm only going to use it on the very ends to accommodate cords.
I am something of a woodworker myself, I have routers and a modest router table (I've always been meaning to build a "real" router table). What is your plan? What plastic/acrylic are you planning to use? I Know they sell the screen material pretty cheap, it looks just like the screen used in the stock tops for my IM Nuvo 10's. I'm pretty sure the acrylic is easy to machine, just like wood with regular router bits. Thanks for your help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back