Inexpensive Low-Iron Tank Options??

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeees, center overflow with a bunch of rocks piled up to cover. Middle of the room with all four sides viewable is the dream!

although that will depend on the house in the future too... hopefully I can get everything to work
That would be an awesome tank

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a sca 120 and a 50 cube. I love both of them. For the price and quality they can't be beat. I built my own stand for the 120 but bought the 50 with their stand. It's a nice stand in my opinion. 20230709_161729.jpg 20230709_162006.jpg 20230912_184358.jpg 20230912_184403.jpg

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a big boy cube, very nice! Largest I ran was a 30x30x24. If I had the floor space I'd do a 36x36x30 with a center overflow/return in a heartbeat
yeees, center overflow with a bunch of rocks piled up to cover. Middle of the room with all four sides viewable is the dream!

although that will depend on the house in the future too... hopefully I can get everything to work
I question this. I had been debating what overflow would be best if I ordered a new tank, the center internal overflow or an external overflow. Originally, I wanted the center overflow and thought I would pile rocks just as you guys say. That's a great look, I think. But, I thought I learned that it's best not to pile your rock directly against the back of the tank and to leave room for water flow behind the rock. For this reason, I have been leaning towards the external overflow.

Have you guys had a problem piling your rock right up against the back of the tank?

If this is ill advised, then I think 'scaping the tank would be difficult with the center overflow. However, the center overflow has such a nice, clean look, even on the outside of the tank, without having to hide the plumbing.

After having recently contacted the company, I *believe* SC Aquariums has an 80 gallon center overflow in stock. They can build me an 80 gallon with the external overflow, but I was told the lead time would be like 15-17 weeks. I'm a very patient reefer, but dang!

Any thoughts on what overflow is better?

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sca 120 and a 50 cube. I love both of them. For the price and quality they can't be beat. I built my own stand for the 120 but bought the 50 with their stand. It's a nice stand in my opinion. 20230709_161729.jpg 20230709_162006.jpg 20230912_184358.jpg 20230912_184403.jpg
Thank you for the reply and pics! Great looking setups!

I think I'm sold on SC Aquariums if I order a new tank :)

Why are there not more members here using their tanks???

Thank you again for your reply!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I question this. I had been debating what overflow would be best if I ordered a new tank, the center internal overflow or an external overflow. Originally, I wanted the center overflow and thought I would pile rocks just as you guys say. That's a great look, I think. But, I thought I learned that it's best not to pile your rock directly against the back of the tank and to leave room for water flow behind the rock. For this reason, I have been leaning towards the external overflow.

Have you guys had a problem piling your rock right up against the back of the tank?

If this is ill advised, then I think 'scaping the tank would be difficult with the center overflow. However, the center overflow has such a nice, clean look, even on the outside of the tank, without having to hide the plumbing.

After having recently contacted the company, I *believe* SC Aquariums has an 80 gallon center overflow in stock. They can build me an 80 gallon with the external overflow, but I was told the lead time would be like 15-17 weeks. I'm a very patient reefer, but dang!

Thanks guys!
I would definitely go external. The 120 has the stock internal and I hate it. It blocks the flow and takes up too much space. On the 50 cube I removed the internal and drilled and installed a fijicube external. Way better and adds much more internal tank space!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks guys!
I have an external slim overflow and I love how little space it takes right now. So it will definitely be a difference going to center overflow, but I can't think any other way to create four viewable sides.

If its a traditional tank i would definitely take the external overflow as it leaves more real estate.

In terms of aquascape, I definitely leave some space between the back walls of the aquarium. Id imagine on the large cube build I would still not have rocks leaning directly against the overflow. I would probably put some foundation rock at the bottom and build a ring. then glue the rocks up so they are not touching and the weight is supported by the bottom of the tank.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely can’t afford an upgrade but I’m seriously looking at the SC tanks. Question about running equipment into the tank with a euro brace. I would think the eurobrace would push power cables farther into the tank then a standard rimless. Any solutions beside going to MP wave pumps?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have left my 65 Gallon and my 120 Gallon for two weeks. Glass Tops on both tanks, Prism brand ATO’s and PetBank Rechargeable Auto-feeder from Amazon. For budget, I’d look on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist list for Aquariums. Get one with an Overflow and Sump. Do not depend on an over the top overflow. Get an internal one or through the drilled back. If Possible try doing a set up with two return pumps on separate circuits.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an external slim overflow and I love how little space it takes right now. So it will definitely be a difference going to center overflow, but I can't think any other way to create four viewable sides.

If its a traditional tank i would definitely take the external overflow as it leaves more real estate.

In terms of aquascape, I definitely leave some space between the back walls of the aquarium. Id imagine on the large cube build I would still not have rocks leaning directly against the overflow. I would probably put some foundation rock at the bottom and build a ring. then glue the rocks up so they are not touching and the weight is supported by the bottom of the tank.
Thank you for your reply! I see what your saying about having four visible sides, but on a smaller tank like I'm considering I don't I'd be able to pull that look off. So for me, it's three viable sides, and with that in mind I think the external overflow is the best option.

Definitely can’t afford an upgrade but I’m seriously looking at the SC tanks. Question about running equipment into the tank with a euro brace. I would think the eurobrace would push power cables farther into the tank then a standard rimless. Any solutions beside going to MP wave pumps?
I've never had a Eurobraced tank before, so I can't answer your question, but I have one of my own. The tank I'm considering is the 80 gallon linked bellow. It clearly says "Eurobraced" in the description, but looking at the picture of the tank, it doesn't look like it has Eurobracing at all. It looks like a regular, rimless tank. Am I missing something?

http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-80-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-80g.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have left my 65 Gallon and my 120 Gallon for two weeks. Glass Tops on both tanks, Prism brand ATO’s and PetBank Rechargeable Auto-feeder from Amazon. For budget, I’d look on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist list for Aquariums. Get one with an Overflow and Sump. Do not depend on an over the top overflow. Get an internal one or through the drilled back. If Possible try doing a set up with two return pumps on separate circuits.
Thank you for the help. I do have sumps and tanks already, and I was never considering the over the top overflow. I was just kicking around the idea of possibly getting a new tank, and just asking about what was available. Yes, I am planning on two return pumps. I also have ATO and controller solutions.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get that aquarium, I’d have a hole drilled in the back, for another return. This is for a second return pump, with two Drains, in case one gets clogged while you are gone.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get that aquarium, I’d have a hole drilled in the back, for another return. This is for a second return pump, with two Drains, in case one gets clogged while you are gone.
I had planned on plumbing it like the "Bean Animal" overflow with redundant drains. For the returns, I haven't decided how I'd set them up just yet. If I did order this tank, it would likely be a custom order anyway, so I'm sure they could drill whatever holes I need. Is there a specific way you'd suggest I run the returns? Thank you for your help!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply and pics! Great looking setups!

I think I'm sold on SC Aquariums if I order a new tank :)

Why are there not more members here using their tanks???

Thank you again for your reply!

There are tons of people using their tanks. SCA just dosen't advertise like some of the 'bigger' brands. For a long time they were more of a 'regional' tank seller.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks guys!

Our definition of overflow in this sense isnt what your thinking about. We're talking about the style as seen in the photo below...

IMG_4846.jpg

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our definition of overflow in this sense isnt what your thinking about. We're talking about the style as seen in the photo below...

IMG_4846.jpg
Gotcha! That's truly four sided. I was thinking of where they place the overflow box in the back center of the tank, not in the back corners. Totally different!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of people using their tanks. SCA just dosen't advertise like some of the 'bigger' brands. For a long time they were more of a 'regional' tank seller.
I found them in 2017 or 2018, they are still around, and I have yet to hear a complaint. They must be doing something right.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I see what your saying about having four visible sides, but on a smaller tank like I'm considering I don't I'd be able to pull that look off. So for me, it's three viable sides, and with that in mind I think the external overflow is the best option.

I've never had a Eurobraced tank before, so I can't answer your question, but I have one of my own. The tank I'm considering is the 80 gallon linked bellow. It clearly says "Eurobraced" in the description, but looking at the picture of the tank, it doesn't look like it has Eurobracing at all. It looks like a regular, rimless tank. Am I missing something?

http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-80-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-80g.htm
yea you could always have the holes drilled for a modular marine/synergy reef over flow.

Love my slim modular marine overflow.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea you could always have the holes drilled for a modular marine/synergy reef over flow.

Love my slim modular marine overflow.
Yes, I happen to have a Synergy Shadow overflow and SC Aquariums will drill for it, so that’s certainly an option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back