Inexpensive Low-Iron Tank Options??

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is low iron. I can tell the difference I just don't think its as night and day as others think (at least on my tanks). They are my freshwater tanks that have a natural tint to them with the wood and leaf litter in the tanks. That might be why its not as noticeable. My actual reef tank is a 300 gallon acrylic tank- acrylic is a whole other animal....

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at the glass where there is no water, do you see a noticeable green tint? if so then not low iron.
1694529919562.png
Great pic!

Yeah, look at the edges of the glass, you'll see a green tint if it's the old style of glass.

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our SCA150. As an FYI they run great sales during Black Friday. Our 150 was $900 delivered 3/4 years ago.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is low iron. I can tell the difference I just don't think its as night and day as others think (at least on my tanks). They are my freshwater tanks that have a natural tint to them with the wood and leaf litter in the tanks. That might be why its not as noticeable. My actual reef tank is a 300 gallon acrylic tank- acrylic is a whole other animal....
yea I want my large reef to be acrylic. The glass distortion is a little bit wonky and acrylic's clarity is amazing.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at the glass where there is no water, do you see a noticeable green tint? if so then not low iron.
1694529919562.png
My low iron is definitely clear like on the left. My other tanks were never advertised as low iron but they are also clear like on the left, definitely don't have a green tint like on the right. Only my smaller cheap 10 and 20 gallons have the green tint like on the right.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our SCA150. As an FYI they run great sales during Black Friday. Our 150 was $900 delivered 3/4 years ago.
I thought I remembered that they did a big Black Friday sale, and that time frame isn't really that bad at this point. I'm planning a methodical, patient build, so I don't mind just cycling the rock for a few months while I wait for that sale. I also am planning a 10 gallon build that will give me something to play with in the meantime. Thank you for reminding me about Black Friday!

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I want my large reef to be acrylic. The glass distortion is a little bit wonky and acrylic's clarity is amazing.
Amazing until you put a million scratches in it lol. Nah acrylic is nice but you do need to baby it. I do get a little distortion in it, but only when I'm really up close (like nose on the tank close) and looking at angle.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing until you put a million scratches in it lol. Nah acrylic is nice but you do need to baby it. I do get a little distortion in it, but only when I'm really up close (like nose on the tank close) and looking at angle.
haha yea definitely aware of the downsides. I just cant get over the clarity, it looks so much better than glass.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha yea definitely aware of the downsides. I just cant get over the clarity, it looks so much better than glass.
Acrylic is gorgeous, and I doubt I can afford it, but out of curiosity where are you guys getting your acrylic tanks?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is gorgeous, and I doubt I can afford it, but out of curiosity where are you guys getting your acrylic tanks?
I priced a build with glass cages with my latest cube build. Its a bit higher than I was expecting and i ended up getting a returned custom planet cube. the pricing on larger builds seem to be competitive against glass.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a guy who makes them in his garage not far from me. Sounds kinda sketchy, but he makes pretty nice tanks and the glue welds are nice and solid. Hes a freshwater stingray breeder so hes been making acrylic tanks for a while.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I priced a build with glass cages with my latest cube build. Its a bit higher than I was expecting and i ended up getting a returned custom planet cube. the pricing on larger builds seem to be competitive against glass.
Thank you! By larger are you talking 200 gallons plus? I think about 80 gallons is my max for both space and ongoing maintenance budget.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a guy who makes them in his garage not far from me. Sounds kinda sketchy, but he makes pretty nice tanks and the glue welds are nice and solid. Hes a freshwater stingray breeder so hes been making acrylic tanks for a while.
I'd be fine with that! I would actually like to learn to weld acrylic and make my own tanks. I've dabbled in glass tank builds, and I've resealed a bunch of glass tanks.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be fine with that! I would actually like to learn to weld acrylic and make my own tanks. I've dabbled in glass tank builds, and I've resealed a bunch of glass tanks.
Where are you located? Hes in the Philadelphia area, I highly doubt he will ship. If you aren't too far I can give you his contact info.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! By larger are you talking 200 gallons plus? I think about 80 gallons is my max for both space and ongoing maintenance budget.
not necessarily 200 and plus, but around there. I know acrylic gets more expensive the more height you have. 30" vs 24" is a significant price difference as you need much thicker material. which works out great for me as 30" is a bit too tall for me.

I am eyeing glasscages' 48x48x24 for the next build. I love my cubes

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? Hes in the Philadelphia area, I highly doubt he will ship. If you aren't too far I can give you his contact info.
Thank you, but I'm in Upstate New York, so I don't think it would work out. But thank you again!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not necessarily 200 and plus, but around there. I know acrylic gets more expensive the more height you have. 30" vs 24" is a significant price difference as you need much thicker material. which works out great for me as 30" is a bit too tall for me.

Nice! The cube format is great. The SC Aquariums tank I'm eyeing is an 80 gallon that's 32" long x 24" wide x 24" tall, so kind of cube-ish. The 32" length fits my ideal space nicely, and I like the 24"x24" dimensionally. They also have a 66 gallon with the same footprint but 20" tall, I think.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats a big boy cube, very nice! Largest I ran was a 30x30x24. If I had the floor space I'd do a 36x36x30 with a center overflow/return in a heartbeat

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a big boy cube, very nice! Largest I ran was a 30x30x24. If I had the floor space I'd do a 36x36x30 with a center overflow/return in a heartbeat
yeees, center overflow with a bunch of rocks piled up to cover. Middle of the room with all four sides viewable is the dream!

although that will depend on the house in the future too... hopefully I can get everything to work

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back