OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on the order I should add items. I am hopping to add the first batch next week if the test come back clear.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In thinking snails and some shrimp.
Then crabs and rest of shrimp.
Then goby's
Then other fish
Then tang/angle
Then manderin.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to assume the silence means there is no objections.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The order looks pretty good. I would suggest not adding the shrimp first, as they are quite sensitive to changes in water quality. So in case adding livestock causes any spike it would be safer if they weren't in there yet.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The order looks pretty good. I would suggest not adding the shrimp first, as they are quite sensitive to changes in water quality. So in case adding livestock causes any spike it would be safer if they weren't in there yet.

Good to know thanks. I will no e them down.

oldcrusty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my year plan. I'm in the end stages of my cycle now. 0 amonia but still have nitrite. I will wait tell the test come back clean before I start adding. I plan to start with shrimp and shy fish first. Hopping to add a couple things evey other week.
I rejoined the hobby 8 years ago been out of it since the later 80's. Started back with a 56gal 30x18x25 h had bought a Salifin V Tang 8years ago just moved him into a 75 gallon a few months ago. The Sailfin max size is 15" and the Purple Tang is 10" when I got the Sailfin he was 3-4" He is now 8" Had him for 8 years. They seem to grow in relationship to the size of the tank. I don't think the Purple Tang will out grow your 90 gal anytime soon. The only fish I have had out grow a tank was my Panther Grouper back in the 80's , LFS owner mistakenly place several 2" panther groupers in a holding tank with a bunch of peppermint shrimp. I asked for the panther grouper that had the red antenna sticking out of his mouth as I knew he was eating. Owner did a quick count of his shrimp and grabbed a net. Mine got feed feeder shrimp that I picked up from a bait shop on Mobile Bay in Alabama twice a week. He ended up in a display tank at a local seafood restaurant that had a 500gal grew real fast in there and lost the cute black dots.

oldcrusty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be tough to do a school of chromis and 2 tangs. Chromis each get 3 inches or so and produce a heavy bioload. The tangs need a lot of swimming room and a good supply of nori which will also increase your bio-load.
I feed my tangs on Artisan Lettuce that come in 4 varieties of lettuce in a plastic container. I pull the heads out and shave the brown layer of the bottom of the stalk off. Put an inch of ro water in the container and add amino acid or vitamin mixes into the water. The clean cut allows the lettuce to absorb the additives into the leafs. I cut the stalk in half and the half again and attach a quarter of the lettuce to a rock with a rubber band. I have a Sailfin Tang, Kole Tang, and Foxface that will polish off the lettuce in a day and a half. have seen my Melanurus wrasse even eating at it from time to time. My coral Beauty doesn't seem interested in it. I have tried recently feeding them broccoli but the Sailfin is the only one that has tried it but wont go back after taking a couple of bites. I have a water filter for drinking water tap on my sink that I rinse the lettuce off with before placing in the tank. The lettuce will last a couple of months in the refrigerator as long as you keep water in the bottom of the plastic container. Comes with Purple Endive Green Endive Red Leaf Baby Lettuce and Green Baby Lettuce. All look natural in the tank attached to a piece of rock. I give them a quarter of a head of lettuce twice a week. Tried the dried algae as well but they prefer the lettuce over the algae as well when both in the tank at the same time,

oldcrusty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried the Bumble bee snails they are cute and I only see one in my tank when I recently tore it down to move it 2 feet in order to get a 75 gal tank on the same wall. Had originally put 10 in there along with a few other varieties of snail. Later I found out the Bumble bee snail are a predator and feed on other snails. Explains why I kept loosing snails. Went with the larger Chestnut snail and Mexican Turbos been happy with them 2 or 3 keeps pretty good control of algae along with some blue leg and red leg hermits. Snails do most of the work!

oldcrusty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know thanks. I will no e them down.
Pick up a bottle of Fluval Cycle I recently moved a 56 gal tank 2 feet and set up a 75 gal next to it. I moved my fish from the 56 to the 75 and a few fish from a nano tank to my 56. I started my 56 off with all new live sand and live rocks all new water. the 75 the same then it dawned on me that I was going to have to go through an all new tank scenario on both tanks except for the 56 still had the old tank wet dry filter and the 75 had a new filter. I use the Tom Rapids Pro Filters and really love it! Specially the ATO attachment. I cycled both tanks in less than 2 weeks while monitoring the nitrates and ammonia nitrites daily. Followed the instructions on the Fluval cycle bottle adding 10ml per 50 gal of Fluval cycle. Parameters stayed perfect for the first month. Quit adding Fluval Cycle after the first month been running great for 7 months now. For the first month I added a dose of Cycle when ever my nitrites went over 2. Was the easiest Tank Cycling I have ever had! Been in the hobby as far back as 1978 for saltwater. Had aquariums since I was 8 years old am now 62

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back