OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the difference between ats and growing all sorts of macro? Using hydroponics light

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say "no filtration" but you want to run live rock, chaeto, carbon and MP blocks... that's all filtration. What are you referring to then?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say "no filtration" but you want to run live rock, chaeto, carbon and MP blocks... that's all filtration. What are you referring to then?
Well what i ment was only natural/biological filteration. no skimmer no gfo no biopellets. Jus a carbon reactor for keeping water clear.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is very possible. Self-feeding, self-filtering, no maintenance, no nothing.
Any calculation on balancing the fish load? Like x amt of fishes with x amt of cheato? Currently im already testing it but im using filter floss (instead of filter sock) in a topfilter box. i saw the algae from my tank vanished in a 2 months. Currently its a 6 to 8mnths old system. N03 15 to 20.

Here is the video.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say with filter socks, a skimmer and dosing it could be done. If you really want hands off and the tank to thrive an automatic water change system would be more practical in the long term.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However i still have some on glass, but not those ugly hair alge etc.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say with filter socks, a skimmer and dosing it could be done. If you really want hands off and the tank to thrive an automatic water change system would be more practical in the long term.
Hmm. Well hiw about low bioload, more filter feeders, hardy corals and just trace and CAM dosing?

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather then socks, you can try that rollermat to prolong maintainance, someone also posted a diy version of it.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is doable I think. With a large fuge, and perhaps display macro yiu could export enough. Hardy coral would help too, a softie and macro tank could be pretty bomb proof. Just supporting large tangs like you suggested before would be difficult without water changes IMO. Even once monthly or every other month water changes are beneficial but it seems like there is so many compromises you have to make for this hypothetical system to work.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is doable I think. With a large fuge, and perhaps display macro yiu could export enough. Hardy coral would help too, a softie and macro tank could be pretty bomb proof. Just supporting large tangs like you suggested before would be difficult without water changes IMO. Even once monthly or every other month water changes are beneficial but it seems like there is so many compromises you have to make for this hypothetical system to work.
Well bro, the idea came in my mind after seeing a 10yr old fowlr at one of the hobbyist in my city, he never did any wc. Used a canister filter that he would clean once in 6 to 8 mnths. Thats it. Well i might not go for such a system, but i guess it can be possible if done correctly. so just made a thread incase any1 is doing it successfully. Before starting my own 42g, my plan was the same, but i did add filter medias like purigen, phosguard and carbon.

Yes i guess a big cheato only chamber, then a huge display fuge with dsb and mangroves and some filter feeders, and some more macro algae, then a return chamber. Can also add some marine pure blocks. keeping fish bioload low and more inverts/cleanup crew. Feeding 2ice a day max. As for corals, softies and lps only. Though even in this system id personally prefer a carbon reactor. Maybe once in few months a bottom syphoning in cheato area as that would be the first chamber of the sump for pods to grow too.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It removes faster, in a smaller space, because of the stronger photosynthesis.
I was going through your website, i really liked your box scrubber, which one would u recommend for a 800 liters tank, with 5 small tangs, 6 clowns, 5 gobies and 5 to 8 more small fishes and some inverts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that you can get any hard corals or coralline algae to grow long term in a self sustaining system as there will be no source of alkalinity. Some very slow growers might "survive", but they will not grow.

I also disagree with the idea that some of the types of filtration were rejected as not being biological or natural, but organic carbon dosing and biopellets are certainly both natural and biological, just as is growing chaeto. :)

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that you can get any hard corals or coralline algae to grow long term in a self sustaining system as there will be no source of alkalinity. Some very slow growers might "survive", but they will not grow.

Yup. As I mentioned earlier, if a self sustained reef tank was possible, I think everyone would have one in this hobby.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id have to agree with that line of thought. its always a theory

nano reefers would have modeled one 16 yrs ago if possible, the big tankers who pull it off are only buying time with dilution. I guess the ecospheres are the closest to date, with a finite lifespan even still. in and out is simply required eventually, all else is theory we cant pull up an example for

now after having said that bias, I feel my 13 yr old planted tank is the closest that can be made of a true self sustainer. how about no water changes, circulation, heating, any electricity other than a metal halide above it, no feeding, w fish (wild type guppies only for bioload balance) and a ten inch deep planted substrate for 7 yrs straight :)

Freshwater biomes can beat what reefs can do in terms of true self sustenance, says the collected examples. then theres that one guy we can google from England who has a planted big jar 40 years never opened (supposedly) which is +10 more for freshwater concept proofs

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back